District elections

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 121

Bruising night for the toffs.

wafter

Sadly little chance of this area being relinquished from Tory control, however nationally it seems they've lost nearly a third of their seats so far; which is nice.

Not that I have much faith in any of the opposition and suspect that nationally Labour will be nearly as bad as what they've replaced when they inevitably get in at the next general election.

Nice to see the greens more than double their representation currently :smile:

Last edited:
I don't know why more people don't sign up for a postal vote. It's easy to do, you only do it once and they just check once a year if you still live there and send a pre=paid envelope and form to return. No ID required, no hassle with going out and parking and queuing, and no excuse not to vote because you get about 10 days to return your voting slip.

Nice to see Labour taking Plymouth. I think many people like me are at the stage of "anyone but the Tories". And interestingly I've only seen posters, leaflets, doior to door canvassers for Labour and no-one else. Seems like their presence was far greater than anyone else.

ebikeerwidnes

They have changed all the wards around in our counsel
Basically in our bit they have taken all the privately owned houses in the small area and put them all into one new ward - hence taken them out of the counsel and Housing association owned areas
If I was being cynical (what me???) then I might just suggest they were trying to conjure up a more Tory seat

result
Greens 133
Tory 146
Labour 948

so if that was their aim then I think they kinda missed!!!

still know naff all about the person standing for the Greens - might have been nice to see an alternative (they have not stood here before) but there was no info available as far as I could tell - and they still got 133 votes!

Xipe Totec

Something nasty in the woodshed
Shamelessly stolen from another forum:
I went to my polling station around midday and it was pretty busy for a local election. I saw an elderly woman with crutches make her way painfully into the hall to join the queue - a few people tried to help her but she waved them away. "I didn't fight in two world wars to need help voting," she said loudly. When she got to the front of the queue, she asked the guy on the desk, again very loudly, "Who do I vote for to stop all those damned immigrants swarming our coasts in small boats?" Everyone cheered and clapped. "Here's my proper British passport - none of that foreign red rubbish," she said, thrusting it at the guy. A small fair-haired child wearing an anti-Corbyn T-shirt appeared from nowhere to carry the woman's voting slips as she stomped to the voting booth. "God save the King, and damn the woke snowflakes to hell!" she said. Again everyone cheered and clapped, and I saw two grown men with Union Jack hats openly weep. One of them went up the woman after she’d voted and said he was a taxi driver and that he’d give her free rides for life. “Our voices need to be heard,” he said. "Thank you for speaking out for all who are cancelled." Then a small dog trotted in with a copy of the Daily Express in its mouth. It dropped it at the feet of the woman and, to everyone's astonishment, stood up on its hind legs and bowed. In the distance, an ice cream van could be heard playing Greensleeves.

People will say this didn't happen, but it definitely did.

lazybloke

Regular
I wonder if anyone in any of the polling stations is keeping a tally on how many people turn up without id, and were denied their chance to vote, and what their voting preference would have been. ??
Two poll-clerks in my family, working at different polling stations. Still waiting to hear from my brother, but my wife is aware of two voters being turned away with no ID. Both returned later and sucessfully voted.

It's only when the poll clerks refuse to issue a ballot paper that a reason is recorded, so if someone realised they have no ID and walks off without ever getting to the front of the queue, there'll be no record. SO the number of disenfranchised voters will likely be underreported, possibly significantly so - yet the numbers already being quoted are far higher than convictions & cautions for electroral fraud.

There are some stats and examples on Beeb News, but I've seen better journalism.

The Electoral Commission have already acknowledged problems, and are working on their own analysis. I've not read their detailed statement yet, so make your own assessments.. : it's HERE

C R

Über Member
It is true that the tories are getting a drubbing, but it is less clear that labour are benefiting. Take Worcester for example, the tories lost seven, labour won one, the libdems two and the greens four.

To me it would appear that labour lost to the greens more than they took from the tories. It doesn't look hopeful for the general election.

D

Deleted member 28

It is true that the tories are getting a drubbing, but it is less clear that labour are benefiting. Take Worcester for example, the tories lost seven, labour won one, the libdems two and the greens four.

To me it would appear that labour lost to the greens more than they took from the tories. It doesn't look hopeful for the general election.

It's a protest vote as expected, understandably people don't want to vote for the Tories after some of the horror stories of late but what's the alternative?

Lib dem and the Green lot probably had a bit of success due to this but normal service will resume at the General in my opinion.

Beebo

Veteran
It’s now very clear that the next government will be either Labour or a left leaning coalition as no party will join with the Tories.

Remember these are English elections in mainly rural locations. The traditional Labour urban areas didn’t vote, nor did Scotland or Wales.

So this isn’t telling us very much overall.

Reactions: C R

Xipe Totec

Something nasty in the woodshed
Everyone bleating about this heralding a colossal Labour majority at some distant future election is plainly looking back at the local elections in 2019, which delivered the Tories their bigget kicking since 1995, and was inevitably followed by the historic Labour landslide victory later in the same year!

Oh. Hang on...

• Sad
Reactions: C R
Top Bottom