Drought....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Who care's, Sue Me
been raining where i am all morning....grass is lovely and green now

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

Guru
Thunderstorm!
Plenty rain over about 30 to 40 minutes. A drop in the ocean so to speak, but locally welcome!

Ian H

Guru
Thunderstorm!
Plenty rain over about 30 to 40 minutes. A drop in the ocean so to speak, but locally welcome!
Watching the Met Office radar and seeing the storms sliding just north of us or petering out as they leave Exeter. There are several Met Orifice scientists in our Wednesday Night group. I shall have to have words.

Bazzer

Had some light rain today, which will dampen the garden, so should a heavy shower arrive, the ground will be more receptive to the sky H2o.
Horribly torn though. My vegetables and water butts would welcome water. On the other hand those whose started today on my house for the construction of a new porch and new roof..............

Ian H

Guru
The wind has changed and the weather is blowing from La Manche across us. It overwhelmed the gutters for a minute or two.
Pic by a neighbour caught in the High St
VID-20220816-WA0000_exported_3470.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

Guru
The wind has changed and the weather is blowing from La Manche across us. It overwhelmed the gutters for a minute or two.
Pic by a neighbour caught in the High St
View attachment 1943

That'll be on 'Devon Live' before you know-it.
Hooning down here at the moment with little sign of abating....

Really good video here showing the difference between parched land and normal land and why flash flooding happens.

https://www.ksat.com/news/local/202...s-of-flash-flooding-after-periods-of-drought/

We're getting gentle showers right now which should help the soil begin to open up and absorb what falls.

On the other hand local ground is clay. There's a narrow margin between so dry water flows off and floods roads and waterlogged so water flows off and floods roads.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Who care's, Sue Me
Its been pissing down here for nearly two days…….garden is loving it and i live so high up in the welsh valleys, if we get flooded, the whole of wales would need to look out lol

Should england be spending more on water infrastructure like reservoirs, rather than spending it on a train line through the country that no one seems to want???
They should, to start with, stop with coming up with responses that do well on twitter, radio and the news because they show how ''engaged'' they are while they really don't give two f*cks the camera's stop rolling.
What we need, in the Uk, in Europe is politicians who chose that job because they want to do something for their community and the country because they believe in soluttions and not problems, who believe in the power of poeple andnot party sponsors, why beleive in the power in the oath to the country and not the power of the likes of persimmon homes etc. etc. etc.

With that spirit and mindset in the Netherlands ages ago they came up with the idea of ''waterschappen'' with translates roughly as watercouncil a seperate goverment body(now goverment body it started in 1122 as a collaboration) that has to this day one or more people on every busy waterway with not other job to monitor the water (too high too low etc.) And alltugh not perfect they are crying now too that the water is too low instead of finding an solution(for example millions of litters flow to the Rhine towars the sea in case of the Netherlands little effort to divert it to draught affected area's, little effort because the system is already there as part of the bigger water mangement systems to deal with floods)

So if more reservoirs could help, it could be but i think the main issues is the mindset, how many area's are there not where you pay and extra premium on your insurance because it is an area that frequently floods? Let the poor people pay so the problem doesn't go away.
We might have droughts now but in a few months we will have floods again, if you want to fix water issues you have to fix the organisation first, and than come with an working solution following the water from where it starts to where it ends giving it room to expand where needed.

Top Bottom