Eating dead animals - the pros and cons

Should we give up eating meat?

• 1 Meat is murder - stop it!

• 2 Eating fluffy lambs is wrong; stupid chickens less so.

• 3 High welfare meat is fine. Shame poor people can't afford it.

• 4 Bacon butties wouldn't taste so good if we weren't meant to eat meat.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mudsticks

Squire
I am a vegetarian. Will I fix the world by being so? No, but I have no doubt that it has reduced my negative impact on those with whom I share the planet.

I don't miss eating dead flesh and have never felt the need to replace meat with elaborate and energy intensive over-processed substitutes.

I'm not going to reprise my whole lengthy post from the 'factory farming animals' thread.
If you've got a spare half hour you can look..

But suffice it to say that I've got a whole lot more respect for people who choose not to eat meat or animal products for their own ethical beliefs than the
"Don't give a feck about any of it, I like my cheap bacon, end of " mob.

Animal product eaters definitely need to eat less meat, and dairy.
And that we do eat needs to be from far better systems

Large numbers of people choosing those not hyper processed or 'other side of the earth imported' veggie or vegan options at least some of the time helps that transition.

Some of my best friends are vegans (no really 😉) but they also respect how I and others conciously raise, and have slaughtered, animals in high welfare mixed farming systems, as an alternative for those who continue eating meat

It's not so much 'what' you do, it's the way that you do it.

I was a vegetarian for about fifteen years.

For several of those years I also worked on a high welfare , extensive pig farm..

Go figure 🤔

matticus

Guru
We've all watched Old Boy, right?

Just no - I cried at Fish Called Wanda.

Beebo

Veteran
I suspect that in 50 years eating meat will be regarded in a similar way smoking is today.

The case against mass meat production is huge and it’s clear that we can’t all eat ethically produced low impact meat.

Unfortunately I’m a total hypocrite, but my daughter gave up meat and fish about 3 years ago so we eat far less. But dairy and eggs are still in her diet so we eat a lot of that.

Ian H

Guru
I recall a customer of mine who bred pigs. During the foot & mouth epidemic she wasn't allowed to slaughter them. She told me they grew to great size and became almost like pets, eating out of her hand. She said she wasn't at all sure what to do at that point...

...whether to turn them into bacon or sausages.

Last edited:

mudsticks

Squire
I recall a customer of mine who bred pigs. During the foot & mouth epidemic she wasn't allowed to slaughter them She told me they grew to great size and became almost like pets, eating out of her hand. She said she wasn't at all sure what to do at that point...

...whether to turn them into bacon or sausages.
We are really lucky to have a small scale abbattoir close by, where the slaughter man takes real pride in killing stress free..

I know I've had dinner with, and interrogated him closely. 😇

Sadly, these sorts of places are few and far between now..
But hopefully will make a comeback with time..

I'm just about long in the tooth enough to remember mobile abattoirs that did 'on farm' killing

These seem to be a far more humane option than transportation of live animals, long distances

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
We are really lucky to have a small scale abbattoir close by, where the slaughter man takes real pride in killing stress free..

I'm just about long in the tooth enough to remember mobile abattoirs that did 'on farm' killing

These seem to be a far more humane option than transportation of live animals, long distances

Always been a 'townie' personally, but, when I was a child, my maternal grandfather had a small-holding where he kept pigs and hens. Every so often, the mobile abattoir would visit (although, at that time, as. a child (early 1950s), I didn't make the connection), and, our diet would suddenly become laden with pork.

Ian H

Guru

Indeed.
I don't buy supermarket meat.
In Spring my late in-laws would often have an orphan pet lamb warming by the Rayburn. Later in the year Flossie (they were always named) would be in the freezer.
My two younger children were always playing on the farm. One's vegetarian, the other, vegan.

Bazzer

Although raised eating meat pretty much everyday, for the last 40 years I have lived with vegetarians.
If we eat out or get a takeaway, I tend to eat chicken or occasionally fish. But it isn't something I miss in home meals. And when I do have it at home, it tends to be smoked salmon slices.
On the rare times I have food like steak, it feels like it takes ages to digest when compared to vegetarian food

AndyRM

Elder Goth
Oh God, was there a terrible Hollywood remake or something?

Yep. By Spike Lee of all people. It's dreadful.

I don't eat a lot meat, but when I do I get it from a local butcher so I know it's quality. One of my partners is veggie so whenever I cook for them it's veggie only. Fortunately I know my way around tofu so I'm on reasonable ground. We stopped for a snack one day, they thought they were on safe ground with a seaweed based thing. Chomped it down, thoroughly enjoyed it, then read the ingredients and it had these tiny little prawn things in, which they hadn't noticed. That took some consoling because they hadn't had meat of any kind for 10 years.

I was vegan for about 15 years. Then I was ravenously hungover and on a particularly tricky comedown and I don't know what triggered this in my head but the only solution was a roll with bacon. Did the trick, fortunately.

D

Deleted member 49

Probably for the sort of people who thought Squid Game was something new and original.

Forget the plot or the characters or anything like that, the original Oldboy is simply beautiful to look at. I wouldn't want to touch it.
But in another way it was a good thing,for Korean cinema ? After the success of Parasite it was a nice change from the usual Netflix dross...I've allways loved Korean film Oldboy was another cult hit but how many only watched it as a standalone and not as the Vengeance Trilogy.
Totally off topic sorry but Memories of Murder would definately be in my top 5 films.Might be on my DVD Friday night list...again !

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
But in another way it was a good thing,for Korean cinema ? After the success of Parasite it was a nice change from the usual Netflix dross...I've allways loved Korean film Oldboy was another cult hit but how many only watched it as a standalone and not as the Vengeance Trilogy.
Totally off topic sorry but Memories of Murder would definately be in my top 5 films.Might be on my DVD Friday night list...again !

Don't get me wrong, it was good. It just wasn't mind blowingly original and fantastic like a lot of people thought. But then again if they thought that then good on them, I don't want to be snobby about it. Like you say, hopefully it would be a good thing for Korean cinema.

I don't get a chance to watch much these days so I haven't seen Parasite. Memories of Murder has also passed me by so if I get any time I'll give that one a go.

D

Deleted member 49

Don't get me wrong, it was good. It just wasn't mind blowingly original and fantastic like a lot of people thought. But then again if they thought that then good on them, I don't want to be snobby about it. Like you say, hopefully it would be a good thing for Korean cinema.

I don't get a chance to watch much these days so I haven't seen Parasite. Memories of Murder has also passed me by so if I get any time I'll give that one a go.
There both more than worth your time...have both on dvd if you want to watch anytime.Free postage ! You just pay return 😁

Top Bottom