Excellent Interview

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theclaud

Reading around the chip
Mail, rail, and utilities ain't anywhere near 'near everything'.

He'd have nationalised the queen's pickles given half the chance, the crazed commie. Mark my words.

slowmotion

Mostly in quarters that want the Labour party destroyed or neutered as a serious political alternative.
Not at all. Some people thought that Corbyn would send the Labour Party out into the wilderness for years and didn't want a country with a totally ineffectual Opposition.

Anyway, why are conducting this post-mortem? It's ancient history now.

theclaud

Reading around the chip
Not at all. Some people thought that Corbyn would send the Labour Party out into the wilderness for years and didn't want a country with a totally ineffectual Opposition.

Anyway, why are conducting this post-mortem? It's ancient history now.

Cookie started a thread about an interview - what's the problem? I'm afraid people only tend to stop banging on about injustices when they get redress.

slowmotion

The one thing that really turned me away from Corbyn was John McDonnell. There was a film of him at a fringe meeting before the last election. The level of malevolence and vindictiveness he expressed against some sections of the population who were unlikely to vote for Labour was quite chilling.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
LOL. Disregarding for a minute how self-evidently ludicrous it is to discount the other half of the equation, anyone who did vote for him on that basis alone must seriously regret handing over their wallets for inspection.

There was nothing much wrong with the political programme that Corbyn oversaw so there would have been little point in promising major changes to that. I am not discounting that as important but saying that IMO it was more about the improved presentation of, and ability to gain power to implement, that political programme that people thought Starmer could provide. Whether they were right or wrong is a debate for the Starmer thread not this could have/would have/should have/didn't thread.

Ian H

Guru
The one thing that really turned me away from Corbyn was John McDonnell. There was a film of him at a fringe meeting before the last election. The level of malevolence and vindictiveness he expressed against some sections of the population who were unlikely to vote for Labour was quite chilling.
Interesting, that. My dear (Tory-voting) father regarded him as an excellent constituency MP, who responded politely and constructively to every one of the many letters my (Tory-voting, but latterly UKIP) father sent to him.

slowmotion

Interesting, that. My dear (Tory-voting) father regarded him as an excellent constituency MP, who responded politely and constructively to every one of the many letters my (Tory-voting, but latterly UKIP) father sent to him.

It's quite possible to be an excellent constituency MP and simultaneously express fairly nasty opinions when the prospect of ministerial power looms.

Ian H

Guru
It's quite possible to be an excellent constituency MP and simultaneously express fairly nasty opinions when the prospect of ministerial power looms.
Do you have examples, and do you believe that any of the Tory policies deserve an aggressive response?

Rusty Nails

Country Member
Do you have examples, and do you believe that any of the Tory policies deserve an aggressive response?

@slowmotion's post specifically referred to malevolence against people who were unlikely to vote for Labour.

That is a different situation to your question about aggressive opinions against Tory policies. Do you regard it as anything other than the norm for MPs to reply courteously to all constituents.

Top Bottom