Excellent Interview

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Do you have examples, and do you believe that any of the Tory policies deserve an aggressive response?

Apologies for the delay. I was cooking a spaghetti putanesca.
The clip I saw of McDonnell was shortly before the last election. It was at a fringe Labour meeting in a venue that I can't remember. What I do remember is that he said something to the effect that he was going to "punish" some folks. I don't remember if it was "fat cat bankers", estate agents or other usual suspects and convenient targets. The comrades, predictably, went wild. It was at that point that I thought "Bloody hell, he'll be after me next!" His nastiness made an impression. Anyway, the clip is probably still out there on YouTube.

As regards your second point, a civil response is preferable to an aggressive one. OK, it may not fit in with a desire for constant struggle.

Not at all. Some people thought that Corbyn would send the Labour Party out into the wilderness for years and didn't want a country with a totally ineffectual Opposition.

Anyway, why are conducting this post-mortem? It's ancient history now.

Instead, we got a Gov that's totally ineffective and and has governed over 200,000 dead, billion wasted (stolen) on corrupt PPE contracts, billions on a useless test and trace system, turning no10 into a frathouse while everyone was obeying lockdown rules, including HMQ herself during her husband's funeral and missing 5 COBRA meetings.

Phew!! I think we dodged a bullet by not voting for that mad commie, Corbyn. :rolleyes:

slowmotion

Instead, we got a Gov that's totally ineffective and and has governed over 200,000 dead, billion wasted (stolen) on corrupt PPE contracts, billions on a useless test and trace system, turning no10 into a frathouse while everyone was obeying lockdown rules, including HMQ herself during her husband's funeral and missing 5 COBRA meetings.

Phew!! I think we dodged a bullet by not voting for that mad commie, Corbyn. :rolleyes:

Ah, the benefit of hindsight.

Ah, the benefit of hindsight.

There were plenty of warnings before 2019 about BJ's behaviour in public office and the previous 10 years or so of austerity (which was supposed to pay down debt but increased it by 20%, killing thousands in the process) and, at that point, 3 years of brexit.

Ah, the benefits of paying attention to the real world rather than doing what the Daily Mail/Sun tell you to do.

slowmotion

There were plenty of warnings before 2019 about BJ's behaviour in public office and the previous 10 years or so of austerity (which was supposed to pay down debt but increased it by 20%, killing thousands in the process) and, at that point, 3 years of brexit.

Ah, the benefits of paying attention to the real world rather than doing what the Daily Mail/Sun tell you to do.

If that comment was directed at me, I have not bought a newspaper for twenty years. I find the Mail website confusing because I don't know who all the 'slebs with "toned bodies in skimpy bikinis" actually are. Sometimes I look at the on-line Guardian just for a dose of outrage.

slowmotion

Rusty Nails

Country Member
Tory policies and those who enable them. Happy to conflate.
But which would you prefer, conflation or rampant inflation?
This helps explain why Labour keeps losing GEs.

If you haven't noticed rampant inflation is not unique in the world at the moment, and it is not all the fault of the Tories. It is not an either/or.

Ian H

Guru
This helps explain why Labour keeps losing GEs.

If you haven't noticed rampant inflation is not unique in the world at the moment, and it is not all the fault of the Tories. It is not an either/or.

He's a decent fellow with more self-awareness than most, and a politician who knows his brief.
An hour before he was named shadow chancellor,, he told the audience: “Jeremy’s style has been consensual and what has been appreciated throughout the campaign of the last 12 weeks was to introduce something which hasn’t been in British politics for a long while. It is called kindness. It means that you respect one another in a debate even if you disagree.
“But I am not very good at that. That is why I am not the leader of the Labour party,” he said, to laughter and a round of applause.

Top Bottom