Gender again. Sorry!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
If it involves iplayer, I still mustn't access it.

It doesn’t. You don’t need a TV licence for BBC Sounds.

If someone has legally changed sex in Scotland, and the Haldane ruling in Scotland says 'sex' is not limited to biological sex, on what grounds would someone of their new legal sex be able to be excluded from single sex spaces and services? It's likely that service providers would be pressurised to be inclusive either through confusion around the law and what exemptions they can apply or fear of being sued.

I responded to your post where you said:

We aren't though. Self ID is basically that, self ID. You are confusing self ID with having a GRC. If self ID was introduced it wouldn't apply only to those with a GRC. It would apply to anyone who self ID'ed as the other sex - whenever they liked. No paperwork required.

I think the confusion is yours.

Self ID as proposed in Scotland, and more widely by Theresa May, is absolutely and wholly about GRCs and how they're obtained.

Please stand up your argument as bolded.

True self ID (as in certain US states) isn't about having a GRC, but if someone has a GRC in Scotland and Scottish law says 'sex doesn't just mean biological sex', on what grounds would service providers refuse access to single sex spaces to people of the opposite biological sex? If the government isn't excluding on the basis of biological sex in certain sectors at least, and sex isn't biological in law, it's going to be pretty difficult for small service providers to do so.

How would services be able to confidently use the exemptions in the Equality Act - which are centred on biological birth sex - if Scottish law says, in effect, that 'biological' sex is meaningless?

More likely they'll simply stop offering their services, eg women only swim sessions, women only changing rooms in shops. Single sex services - for both men and women - won't necessarily disappear overnight, but they will be gradually eroded. I think that would be a bad thing.

monkers

Legendary Member
True self ID (as in certain US states) isn't about having a GRC, but if someone has a GRC in Scotland and Scottish law says 'sex doesn't just mean biological sex', on what grounds would service providers refuse access to single sex spaces to people of the opposite biological sex? If the government isn't excluding on the basis of biological sex in certain sectors at least, and sex isn't biological in law, it's going to be pretty difficult for small service providers to do so.

How would services be able to confidently use the exemptions in the Equality Act - which are centred on biological birth sex - if Scottish law says, in effect, that 'biological' sex is meaningless?

More likely they'll simply stop offering their services, eg women only swim sessions, women only changing rooms in shops. Single sex services - for both men and women - won't necessarily disappear overnight, but they will be gradually eroded. I think that would be a bad thing.

Sex is not defined as biological sex for the purposes of the EqA anywhere in the UK. Why do you think it only applies to Scotland? Or is this some new rabbit hole that you are intending us to have to follow you down, with the only purpose of a repeat cycle of you airing your pet phobia all over again?

monkers

Legendary Member
One question has come up a number of times in this thread. That is, why there seems to be an increasing number of girls reporting incongruent gender identity. All so-called answer rely on supposition - and I sure as hell don't know either. Some are calling it a social contagion, a term I personally don't like as it returns to implying that gender incongruence is a disease, when it is not, and probably least helpful when pandemic is still on our minds.

The Guardian have a piece today saying that almost 7% of people in the UK have changed their 'sexual identity' to use their term over a period of six years. What caught my eye as a standout, is that the biggest cohort are women over the age of 65. Maybe it's just that females of any age are shifting to a position of that they just don't want to sleep with males anymore? Who knows, but if I wasn't happily shacked up with my other half, I might be thinking 'oh goody more lesbians of my age to go around'. 😅

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2023/jun/11/sexual-identity-mobility-study-uk

And it's bad news for the chaps. We are said to have descended from the children of Adam and Eve - I thought they were boys? Then Mary had an immaculate conception but won no prizes for it. So we humans may have forgotten the knack for self-fertilisation. But now crocodiles are doing it, biologist might soon find a way for women to pick up the knack again. Sorry chaps. 😅

Last edited:
Sex is not defined as biological sex for the purposes of the EqA anywhere in the UK. Why do you think it only applies to Scotland? Or is this some new rabbit hole that you are intending us to have to follow you down, with the only purpose of a repeat cycle of you airing your pet phobia all over again?

I can't imagine anybody wants to read yet another debate on what the Equality Act does and doesn't mean, so we'll have to agree to disagree on that.

One question has come up a number of times in this thread. That is, why there seems to be an increasing number of girls reporting incongruent gender identity. All so-called answer rely on supposition - and I sure as hell don't know either. Some are calling it a social contagion, a term I personally don't like as it returns to implying that gender incongruence is a disease, when it is not, and probably least helpful when pandemic is still on our minds.
Teenage girls are particularly susceptible to social contagion and social pressures, eg anorexia, so in terms of the high numbers of girls, many of whom are gay, being referred to gender clinics, social contagion should certainly be explored.

The Guardian have a piece today saying that almost 7% of people in the UK have changed their 'sexual identity' to use their term over a period of six years. What caught my eye as a standout, is that the biggest cohort are women over the age of 65. Maybe it's just that females of any age are shifting to a position of that they just don't want to sleep with males anymore? Who knows, but if I wasn't happily shacked up with my other half, I might be thinking 'oh goody more lesbians of my age to go around'. 😅

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2023/jun/11/sexual-identity-mobility-study-uk
When you look at the report they actually mean sexual orientation - gay, straight, bisexual. It's not that surprising more older women are coming out as gay or bisexual. They are from a generation where women were expected to marry and have children; for many being bisexual or gay wasn't an option. Now they are divorced, or widowed, free from family pressures etc. I don't know why they use the term sexual identity instead or orientation.

Screenshot_20230611_192559_Chrome.jpg

One of the great things about being a woman is the really great close friendships women have. There really is something warm and special when you are out with your closest female friends. It's not something I see amongst men really. Perhaps it's why women find it easy to have a relationship with other women.

multitool

Dear God. Parroting Helen Joyce. "Social contagion eg. anorexia". bla bla bla.

Socially contagious anorexia is all about extreme fixation with body image within the context of heteronormativity, and in particular immersed within the pervasive culture of fashion magazines, pop stars, models etc etc.

None of that stuff exists around young girls wanting to be boys.

multitool

One of the great things about being a woman is the really great close friendships women have. There really is something warm and special when you are out with your closest female friends. It's not something I see amongst men really. Perhaps it's why women find it easy to have a relationship with other women.

Aurora doesn't 'see' it, therefore it doesn't exist :laugh:

What is this utter, utter horseshit? You are absolutely clueless.

monkers

Legendary Member
They are from a generation where women were expected to marry and have children

This is true in my own experience. But here's the thing. The anti-trans critique about defining what a woman is, and conflating that with reproductive sex just might be at least a part of the problem. There is far too much focus again on conflating womanhood and motherhood as the same thing. The result is not just perceived harassment by trans women, but likely something similar by teenage girls. I think we should stop telling people how they must be. There are many ways to live a fruitful life.

There is no definition of 'normal' beyond what is most frequently occurring, and as 'most' in this sense diminishes, so should the frequency of using the word 'normal' and instead using the words 'most usual' and 'less usual' - otherwise the opposite to normal is abnormal which is obviously stigmatising.

monkers

Legendary Member

Except that there are more gay men than gay women - bit of an obvious flaw in the reasoning there. 😅

Top Bottom