Gender again. Sorry!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Veteran
What do I need to say to convince you? Journalism is an art. It's not just that so few of your number have the gift for it, but that they are the dregs of humanity.

It can be a dirty job, but my view is it's a good thing someone is prepared to do it.

I never got as far as a police caution, but I've had several bollockings from senior coppers and the regulator.

Seems to me if that didn't happen now and again, I wouldn't be doing the job properly.

OP
OP
theclaud

theclaud

Reading around the chip
It can be a dirty job, but my view is it's a good thing someone is prepared to do it.

I never got as far as a police caution, but I've had several bollockings from senior coppers and the regulator.

Seems to me if that didn't happen now and again, I wouldn't be doing the job properly.

LOL

CXRAndy

Guru
Her book Material girls is very liked, one reviewer posted a change of opinion of KS and JK Rowlings stance on the matter.

I get that some people dismiss these kinds of books as transphobic right off the bat without actually reading them. I did too. I was on the “J. K. Rowling is a TERF” bandwagon only a year ago, I mean, I wrote a whole essay about how problematic she is. I agreed wholeheartedly with the idea that gender is something invisible “inside” a person and that there’s no such thing as “biological sex”. I couldn’t answer questions like “what is a woman” or “what is homosexuality”. I had doubts and questions, but I was terrified of being perceived as problematic, transphobic and a TERF.

But since I actually started reading about these things I’ve pretty much changed course. Not about trans people - but about gender vs. sex. Biology vs. identity. I 100% believe that trans people exist and that they deserve proper health care, equal opportunities in the job market and to live their lives free of hate. Of course I do.

But also believe that we need to be able to distinguish between perceivable biological reality and invisible gender identity. People are born either male or female - even the majority of intersex people are either male or female with DSD, which Stock also goes in to explaining - and if we can’t acknowledge this, we erase the reality of whole concepts. These include but aren’t limited to: homo- and bisexuality, female genital mutilation, femicide, rape statistics, sex trafficking, forced marriage and, even, gender dysphoria. This book explains why, in a pedagogical manner.

It would be lovely if we lived in a world where biological sex didn’t matter. But we live in a world where women - females - are oppressed not because their gender identity, but because of their biology. Yes, trans women are oppressed too, but their oppression shouldn’t and cannot infringe on the safety of women and girls (meaning females) globally.

AndyRM

Elder Goth
Point me to the clip in the video where she said that?

You watched it. Should be easy enough.

As it happens, my personal take on this is that people should just live their best life and it matters not one bit to me what they've got going on in their underwear. Which I think is a reasonable and human approach to things. Dismissing other people's reality as a fiction or non existent is very poor form IMO.

OP
OP
theclaud

theclaud

Reading around the chip
Her book Material girls is very liked, one reviewer posted a change of opinion of KS and JK Rowlings stance on the matter.

I get that some people dismiss these kinds of books as transphobic right off the bat without actually reading them. I did too. I was on the “J. K. Rowling is a TERF” bandwagon only a year ago, I mean, I wrote a whole essay about how problematic she is. I agreed wholeheartedly with the idea that gender is something invisible “inside” a person and that there’s no such thing as “biological sex”. I couldn’t answer questions like “what is a woman” or “what is homosexuality”. I had doubts and questions, but I was terrified of being perceived as problematic, transphobic and a TERF.

But since I actually started reading about these things I’ve pretty much changed course. Not about trans people - but about gender vs. sex. Biology vs. identity. I 100% believe that trans people exist and that they deserve proper health care, equal opportunities in the job market and to live their lives free of hate. Of course I do.

But also believe that we need to be able to distinguish between perceivable biological reality and invisible gender identity. People are born either male or female - even the majority of intersex people are either male or female with DSD, which Stock also goes in to explaining - and if we can’t acknowledge this, we erase the reality of whole concepts. These include but aren’t limited to: homo- and bisexuality, female genital mutilation, femicide, rape statistics, sex trafficking, forced marriage and, even, gender dysphoria. This book explains why, in a pedagogical manner.

It would be lovely if we lived in a world where biological sex didn’t matter. But we live in a world where women - females - are oppressed not because their gender identity, but because of their biology. Yes, trans women are oppressed too, but their oppression shouldn’t and cannot infringe on the safety of women and girls (meaning females) globally.

Thank you for cutting and pasting the first review from Goodreads on a book you can't even be arsed to read yourself. I'm sure we'll all give your opinions on this and related matters all the consideration they deserve.

OP
OP
theclaud

theclaud

Reading around the chip
The woman of a thousand words is strangely lost for any when it comes to things she can't understand

Finding your pompous self-regard eternally hilarious is not a Problem of Understanding, Paley.

Pale Rider

Veteran
Finding your pompous self-regard eternally hilarious is not a Problem of Understanding, Paley.

There is no pomposity.

You are now reduced to posting lies.

It's not my problem you are incapable of understanding the press or the court process.

Get your head out of your feminist backside and you might learn something.

LOL

CXRAndy

Guru
That's all that matters then. Doesn't matter what anybody else think? The wonderful world of Andy and his magical thinking.

I refer you to the nag, vision obscured.

You made bed and no one is getting you out of it :laugh:

20230711_110850.gif

Or if this one is to your liking

20230711_111901.gif

Top Bottom