Gender again. Sorry!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
I don't think you understood Monkers' answer.
Maybe you could explain it to me then?

*I deleted a previous post a minute ago about this because it picked up the edited version of your post which I assume you didn't make?

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
Does a transgender man know what it is to be a woman? Or did he while he was a woman, but now he doesn't because he is no longer a woman?

At what stage does he lose the right/ability to know what it is to be a woman?

Really? You think it needs explaining?

Yes, give it a go. Your stance so far is that men are men and women are women even if they are trans. So at what point does a woman in transition to a man lose the ability to know what it is to be a woman, because he is now a man isn't he?

If you are feeling really brave you can also tell us if a transman can be guilty of mansplaining if they are still a biological woman.

monkers

Legendary Member
Yes, give it a go. Your stance so far is that men are men and women are women even if they are trans. So at what point does a woman in transition to a man lose the ability to know what it is to be a woman, because he is now a man isn't he?

If you are feeling really brave you can also tell us if a transman can be guilty of mansplaining if they are still a biological woman.

Well the point that I've been making is that people are who they say they are. Other people think they have the entitlement say who people are even without knowing them. I'm not one of them, so if you are looking for someone to agree with your warped views, then I'm a poor choice for you to find someone to agree with you. Weird that I should have to explain it.

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
Well the point that I've been making is that people are who they say they are. Other people think they have the entitlement say who people are even without knowing them. I'm not one of them, so if you are looking for someone to agree with your warped views, then I'm a poor choice for you to find someone to agree with you. Weird that I should have to explain it.

My views aren't warped, what a strange turn of phrase.

If people are who they say they are then it follows that a woman who is going through a transition can mansplain, and yet up until a week ago they may have been a woman (some would say still is). Similarly, he would not be able to understand the world from a female viewpoint because he is now a man, so doesn't know how women experience things. Unless of course you think that he can, which obviously leads to the situation where he can't be experiencing the world as a man, which is what he now is because he is what he says he is.

I think I have that right don't I? Is there anything in that you disagree with, without resorting to playground insults and telling me to speak to someone else?

monkers

Legendary Member
My views aren't warped, what a strange turn of phrase.

If people are who they say they are then it follows that a woman who is going through a transition can mansplain, and yet up until a week ago they may have been a woman (some would say still is). Similarly, he would not be able to understand the world from a female viewpoint because he is now a man, so doesn't know how women experience things. Unless of course you think that he can, which obviously leads to the situation where he can't be experiencing the world as a man, which is what he now is because he is what he says he is.

I think I have that right don't I? Is there anything in that you disagree with, without resorting to playground insults and telling me to speak to someone else?

My view is that I speak only for myself. Taking the stance that you do that I must answer for others because you want me to is warped.

If you want to know what a trans man thinks about their transition, try reading an autobiography - example 'A New Man - a memoir by Charlie Kiss. However if you ask a hundred different people the same personal question, be prepared for a hundred different answers including some offensive / defensive ones. People don't need to explain themselves to you, even if you think you are the self-appointed thought police.

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
My view is that I speak only for myself. Taking the stance that you do that I must answer for others because you want me to is warped.

If you want to know what a trans man thinks about their transition, try reading an autobiography - example 'A New Man - a memoir by Charlie Kiss. However if you ask a hundred different people the same personal question, be prepared for a hundred different answers including some offensive / defensive ones. People don't need to explain themselves to you, even if you think you are the self-appointed thought police.

Well I do speak to quite a few people who are in the process of transitioning and who have transitioned. I do training with a charity for trans people, teaching their support workers and carers about suicide intervention and prevention. The suicide rate among trans people is shockingly high. I can honestly say that there are trans people alive today who wouldn't be if the training had not been delivered.

The subject is so polarising though, even your responses to me, describing me as 'warped' is not the language of someone who wants to be inclusive and have a big tent, it is the language of someone who always wants a row and slap down the naysayers. You say about asking personal questions, I haven't asked one single personal question of you, only your thoughts on a subject which you have spent over 400 pages heavily involved in, so I am not after an explanation from you as self-appointed thought Police, only whether you think a woman can mansplain or a man can experience the world as a woman, but you have gone full abuse and deflector shields up without answering the questions, which I fully expected you not to answer.

Anyway, you keep having a go at me, I will keep delivering training to the group of people you have set yourself up to defend as safe from suicide as possible.

Unkraut

Master of the Inane Comment
The suicide rate among trans people is shockingly high.

I will anticipate a response to this as being this is due to hostility from the general population who don't go along with it.

From the little I have read on this this doesn't actually seem to be the case, but rather transitioning doesn't solve the real underlying problem, resulting in despair. Is this true?

monkers

Legendary Member
Well I do speak to quite a few people who are in the process of transitioning and who have transitioned. I do training with a charity for trans people, teaching their support workers and carers about suicide intervention and prevention. The suicide rate among trans people is shockingly high. I can honestly say that there are trans people alive today who wouldn't be if the training had not been delivered.

The subject is so polarising though, even your responses to me, describing me as 'warped' is not the language of someone who wants to be inclusive and have a big tent, it is the language of someone who always wants a row and slap down the naysayers. You say about asking personal questions, I haven't asked one single personal question of you, only your thoughts on a subject which you have spent over 400 pages heavily involved in, so I am not after an explanation from you as self-appointed thought Police, only whether you think a woman can mansplain or a man can experience the world as a woman, but you have gone full abuse and deflector shields up without answering the questions, which I fully expected you not to answer.

Anyway, you keep having a go at me, I will keep delivering training to the group of people you have set yourself up to defend as safe from suicide as possible.

I withdraw the word 'warped' if that is making you unhappy. Please do understand, that I have a policy of not speaking for others. So I ask you once more, please do not ask me to speak for the experiences of others. It is not my place, it is something that I will not do.

One other poster here is critical of me for posting anecdotes, but these are relevant when they serve to show that the stereotype presented by some people are clearly not a fit with the people that I know. I do not treat the trans community as a hive mind, I treat everyone as an individual.

I'm not going to reply to a question whereby at somebody's insistence that I will provide an answer to what a whole group of people think or experience especially when they are people that I don't know. I think it odd that you keep trying to hector me into answering these questions. In my opinion you should direct your questions to the people concerned.

I'm not going to defend this point further, as I don't believe I should have to.

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
I will anticipate a response to this as being this is due to hostility from the general population who don't go along with it.

From the little I have read on this this doesn't actually seem to be the case, but rather transitioning doesn't solve the real underlying problem, resulting in despair. Is this true?

All manner of reasons really, often linked to identity, and acceptance especially among families.

The medical profession bears a responsibility too, we worked with young person who had their hormone blockers removed from the regular repeat prescriptions at the GP as "they are expensive, and besides you have transitioned now you don't need them anymore".

CXRAndy

Guru
All manner of reasons really, often linked to identity, and acceptance especially among families.

The medical profession bears a responsibility too, we worked with young person who had their hormone blockers removed from the regular repeat prescriptions at the GP as "they are expensive, and besides you have transitioned now you don't need them anymore".

Cost will be a lever to axe on going drug supply

Top Bottom