Gender again. Sorry!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CXRAndy

Guru
Valid point, trusting politicians :wacko:

View: https://youtu.be/1QBeJL70790?t=554

icowden

Legendary Member
If you’re referring to the recent episode he wasn’t prevented from performing. The venue simply chose to not assist him
No - the venue was bombarded with e-mails. If they actually disagreed with the content they wouldn't have booked the show in the first place. It was only when agitators started emailing that they suddenly developed a distaste for the booking.

It said: “we would like to thank the public for bringing to our attention, about a comedian who had been booked for an upcoming comedy show at our venue this Thursday, which we WERE NOT MADE AWARE OF until today via emails from, rightly so, outraged members of our community. We DO NOT support this comedian or his views and he WILL NOT be allowed to perform at our venue and is CANCELLED from Thursdays comedy show with immediate effect. An outside organiser was responsible for the lineup and we were unaware as to who was performing until now. We are an inclusive venue and will not allow such views to violate our space.”

Following the news, Doyle published a piece at Unherd, saying that “five years ago, Andy Shaw and I set up a monthly comedy night in London called Comedy Unleashed. Our objective was to challenge what we perceived to be the groupthink that was developing within the industry.”

He mentioned that the impetus for creating another comedy outlet was to foster “innovative and free-thinking acts,” adding that the hope was to “cultivate a comedy-literate audience who understood that the art form cannot exist without the potential to cause offence.”

Doyle said the reason why Linehan has been canceled is because of his beliefs that “human beings cannot change sex, that women deserve the right to single-sex spaces and the chance to compete fairly in sports, that feminists such as J.K. Rowling should not have to put up with rape and death threats for stating biological facts, and that gay and autistic children ought not to be medicalized and put onto a pathway to sterilisation.”
So rather than leaving to the audience to choose what to watch, the venue failed to do any background reading on the booking and then cancelled the show after emails from online agitators.

icowden

Legendary Member
The boundaries between what is considered free speech and what is considered hate speech had become increasingly blurred. But I wouldn't expect anything much else when we have bigots running the country.
I agree. Hate speech now seems to be defined as "things I disagree with".

monkers

Legendary Member
I'd go for symmetric. She also defines hate speech as "things she disagrees with".

I disagree. There are members of this government who say they wish to fight the next general election on fighting culture wars. The public have had enough of it. Tories will implode, and good riddance to them.

CXRAndy

Guru
BBC at it again, upsetting women in their employment by first trying to have equality of outcome and then including trans on women only courses

:laugh:

AndyRM

Elder Goth
It's a course run by the NFTS, not the BBC who are just funding it. The (queer) comedy writing course I'm on currently is similarly funded, and if it's set up the same way the company (Felt Nowt in my case) apply for funding outlining their course, and the awarding body decides if funding is appropriate.

It's also not a new course, but unsurprisingly has been latched onto as yet another "thing" by Outraged of the Daily Mail/Telegraph/Twitter.

multitool

Pharaoh
Except that that isn't what she said. Watch the clip, not what morons are saying about the clip.

I've watched the clip. I have a brain. My ability to interpret meaning is not hindered by 'neurodiverse' conditions.

It is exactly what she is telling people to do.

Wake up.

monkers

Legendary Member
Ian believes that Kelly Keen Miniskull is being no-platformed.

Andy believes that woke lefties are attacking women.

The fact of the matter is that Kelly Keen Miniskull was no-platformed by Fair Play for Women because they believe she is attacking women's rights.

This is possibly a bit inconvenient for Ian and Andy who believe that their beliefs without evidence are 'common sense'.

icowden

Legendary Member
I've watched the clip. I have a brain. My ability to interpret meaning is not hindered by 'neurodiverse' conditions.
It is exactly what she is telling people to do.
Wake up.
Ah Ok. so you have difficulty understanding words when they are put in a different order to what you think they say?

We are under the most immense global attack, and it is happening to us in textbook fashion, all over the world. You have to bury your differences and divisions. You have to do that. If you're the sort of person that freely calls people "right-wing" "white supremacists", if that's your bag, then you're not on the side of women. You have to clearly forget everything else.
That is the transcript of the clip. Unfortunately, the most important part of that speech is probably the 30 or so seconds before and after it. This clip isn't really coherent. She doesn't say to bury differences with white supremacists. What she does say doesn't really make sense, although I suspect she is talking about people who label people on the side of women as right wing white supremacists. There are other clips of her speaking where she fully disowns the Nazis and points out that they were attending a different event.

But you stick to your bubble and interpret out of context 30 second clips to your heart's content.

Top Bottom