Gender again. Sorry!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Oh very well. A person who from their self-knowledge identifies themself with the expressions, mannerisms, and gender roles seen as typical of the female sex within their own culture.

Otherwise known as cultural stereotypes.

monkers

Legendary Member
Otherwise known as cultural stereotypes.

You might say that. And I might agree. Japanese women for just one example live a different life to British women though both are female.

People have dual sex-typical roles in terms of reproduction, in that sense they are mostly similar, but as for gender roles, they vary widely.

Unkraut

Master of the Inane Comment
A person who from their self-knowledge identifies themself with the expressions, mannerisms, and gender roles seen as typical of the female sex within their own culture.
I would start by defining a woman by what she is physically and to some extent mentally as well. Men and women don't think the same way!

You seem to have gone for a definition that for want of a better term is more immaterial.

Don't the mannerisms etc derive more from what women are, what they are born as, innate characteristics? That is the starting point. Some men may for what ever reason identify with your immaterial characteristics of being a woman, but because of what they are, namely born men, they can never actually become a woman.

The only real outcome of trying to 'transition' is you get a kind of hybrid being actually neither male nor female.

The discussion of this is endless because there is no agreement as whether gender is determined by what you are or what you think you are.

monkers

Legendary Member
I would start by defining a woman by what she is physically and to some extent mentally as well. Men and women don't think the same way!

You seem to have gone for a definition that for want of a better term is more immaterial.

Don't the mannerisms etc derive more from what women are, what they are born as, innate characteristics? That is the starting point. Some men may for what ever reason identify with your immaterial characteristics of being a woman, but because of what they are, namely born men, they can never actually become a woman.

The only real outcome of trying to 'transition' is you get a kind of hybrid being actually neither male nor female.

The discussion of this is endless because there is no agreement as whether gender is determined by what you are or what you think you are.

Oh noes, Sexed or gendered brains? When Aurora is done with you, you'll be wearing your balls as earrings.

Is it protected by the EqA?

Gender reassignment is a protected characteristic, including non binary. Gender related beliefs or non beliefs would come under the same laws as religious beliefs.

You might say that. And I might agree. Japanese women for just one example live a different life to British women though both are female.

Both are women though. Every woman's life will be unique and different from every other woman's life. The commonality is in being women because it's an embodied experience, regardless of which country or culture it is experienced in.

People have dual sex-typical roles in terms of reproduction, in that sense they are mostly similar, but as for gender roles, they vary widely.
There are only 2 reproductive pathways. They aren't mostly similar, they're very distinct. Sperm or egg; that's literally the only 2 options.

Gender roles are based on stereotypes and learnt through social conditioning. People have spent years trying to undo these created gender roles that define what boys and girls should be like. It's unhealthy to encourage the belief that gender stereotypes have any significance other than being boxes to push people into.

The more I hear about gender identity the more I see that it relies entirely on stereotypes about men and women because otherwise there's nothing else to measure yourself against to work out what your gender identity is.

monkers

Legendary Member
Howabout "an adult who lives and identifies as a female even though they have been born as a different sex."

Doesn't work because trans people with a GRC have their gender identity recognised by the state and their legal sex is made congruent with it.

monkers

Legendary Member
Gender reassignment is a protected characteristic, including non binary. Gender related beliefs or non beliefs would come under the same laws as religious beliefs.

In UK law (the EqA and the Public Sector Duty Act) there are nine protected characteristics. Religious belief (or lack of) and gender reassignment is another. That is where the similarity ends. It's complicated and I can't attempt a whole essay on it here.

In some religions, one is said to be defaulted to one or other of the parents. In Judaism for example the child is deemed to be a Jew for life down the maternal side.

For some people like most Christians, this is not the case. Speaking in my own case my parents were not especially religious at all. They were not church goers, but still we kids were christened at early age. That's what church was for them, christenings, weddings and funerals - oh and we kids like most others were sent to Sunday school so parents had some time in the house for shagging.

We were taught religion but only in the C of E tradition. I rejected it an early age. In one week at school I was taught that God is all powerful and everywhere at the same time, and that space is infinite. I quickly assessed this and realised the two positions are mutually exclusive. I also thought the bible stories pretty lame as entertainment too.

So as far as I'm concerned religion is knowing what you are taught to believe by story telling, chanting, singing, praying, reward systems and with all that pomp and ceremony that goes with that, and in some cases a lot of accompanying adult expectation. This were the features of Sunday School, Primary School, Brownies, television, radio when I was growing up (I'm 66). This indoctrination just seemed everywhere.

Finally I rejected it altogether because I realise that religious people are seldom kind to others outside of their own cults.

Gender identity is not taught or learned, though I agree that it's presence pervades society and can be copied, gender is taught to be performative according to what biological sex you happen to be. When you see, as I have, very young children their gender identity of the basis of 'I'm not one of those, but one of those', you see that this is not the result of a direct learning process, but a rejection of the expectations of others 'to fit in'.

If you do happen to think that seeking recognition of gender identity is so wrong, is it also wrong to choose a different religion and be confirmed in it?

Last edited:

monkers

Legendary Member
Both are women though. Every woman's life will be unique and different from every other woman's life. The commonality is in being women because it's an embodied experience, regardless of which country or culture it is experienced in.

No, not regardless of which culture they experience. Think about Thailand as one example. Society there is divided along strict gender roles. In some regions where boys are born to families, but no girls, the youngest boys are raised as girls. If there are too many girls, they can be sold off.

monkers

Legendary Member
It's only masculine behaviour because our society has designated it as such. Ditto feminine behaviour. These things aren't innate.

But kids often resist stereotypical behaviours. So there's something there, whatever wish you to call it.

Top Bottom