Gender again. Sorry!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 159

farfromtheland

Regular AND Goofy
Violence against women is mostly by partners, though you can't discount the large number of both sexual and violent crime against women done in public and/or by strangers.

The reason for this is that the domestic situation provides easier access to a victim.
I'm not sure that this is the reason, in the sense that it implies simply seeking a victim is the motivation.

In my experience a domestic situation that could have escalated violently was created by ingrained expectations of correct behaviours for women and men.

I lived with a man who promised to look after our expected child while I went to university. I partnered him on this basis, and then he changed his mind because he felt he had to be the breadwinner. When things got untenable I left.

All the arguments about various degrees of safe spaces actually sidestep the causes of sexist oppression. We won't get far countering oppression unless we think about the deeper causes. Vulnerability from childbirth is, I think, the most material problem for women.

Stereotyped self-image considerations are part of the problem. If we could create a society where expectations were not tainted by fashion, religion, sexist tradition or fear of nonconformity would it matter whether someone called themselves a woman or a man or neither, or dressed and presented any (decently discreet around children) way they wished?

I have long thought, and still do, that the Trans/Terf dichotomy is a false one, and fed by interested parties such as social media, the advertising industry and 'divide and rule' right wing manipulators.

monkers

Legendary Member
I'm not sure that this is the reason, in the sense that it implies simply seeking a victim is the motivation.

In my experience a domestic situation that could have escalated violently was created by ingrained expectations of correct behaviours for women and men.

I lived with a man who promised to look after our expected child while I went to university. I partnered him on this basis, and then he changed his mind because he felt he had to be the breadwinner. When things got untenable I left.

All the arguments about various degrees of safe spaces actually sidestep the causes of sexist oppression. We won't get far countering oppression unless we think about the deeper causes. Vulnerability from childbirth is, I think, the most material problem for women.

Stereotyped self-image considerations are part of the problem. If we could create a society where expectations were not tainted by fashion, religion, sexist tradition or fear of nonconformity would it matter whether someone called themselves a woman or a man or neither, or dressed and presented any (decently discreet around children) way they wished?

I have long thought, and still do, that the Trans/Terf dichotomy is a false one, and fed by interested parties such as social media, the advertising industry and 'divide and rule' right wing manipulators.

Very pleasing to read a well considered and well written post. Thank you.

D

Deleted member 159

AndyRM

Elder Goth
I've actually watched that "documentary". I'm not sure the Walsh intended it to be so hilariously misguided, but I'm sadly not surprised it's well thought of by the idiots who've been taken in by what is passed off as research.

D

Deleted member 159

Louise Tickle, an award-winning journalist who has written for the Guardian for more than 20 years, has accused the newspaper of “deceiving its readers” for using the word “woman” in its headline and omitting the fact Blake was transgender in an article covering the case.

👏👏

AndyRM

Elder Goth
An article which has since been edited to reflect the story more accurately; a fairly common practise which doesn't usually get much, if any, publicity.

monkers

Legendary Member
Louise Tickle, an award-winning journalist who has written for the Guardian for more than 20 years, has accused the newspaper of “deceiving its readers” for using the word “woman” in its headline and omitting the fact Blake was transgender in an article covering the case.

👏👏

Define 'transgender'.

D

Deleted member 159

Mostly men fantasizing being a woman, dressing in women's clothes. You know the rest

What is a woman, without using the word woman?

Top Bottom