Gender again. Sorry!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

multitool

Shaman
This is what I really don't understand. @AuroraSaab is giving you her opinion. You disagreed with it and said:-

Why the need to accuse someone who interpreted something differently to you of being dishonest, when you had a perfectly good point to make?

Can't we all just try being a bit nicer to each other instead? It just gets a bit wearing after a while. This includes @CXRAndy @AuroraSaab and @monkers too. Shall we try a reset and answer points with points?

(the answer's probably no, but it's worth a try)

You are relatively new to this thread, Iain. Those of us who've been here a while have grown weary of her tactics.

Seven people left because of them.

icowden

Legendary Member
You are relatively new to this thread, Iain. Those of us who've been here a while have grown weary of her tactics.
I'm not sure that's entirely true, and I personally don't see any "tactics". I've seen her support her arguments - sometimes with sources that you have quite rightly challenged as being spurious, and I have seen that sometimes, like most people, she is inconsistent or draws a different conclusion. I have also seen her attacked multiple times and people really being quite rude. In the interests of balance she has also been quite rude back. Also, I've been posting on this thread since #8 in 2022 - been here longer than you think ;-)

In two years I don't think we've got anywhere. You'd think we'd give up wouldn't you?

Unkraut

Master of the Inane Comment

This has been stated several times, and it makes me wonder if the actual reason is because they don't like hearing views they don't agree with.

Whatever you think of Calvin Robinson, and who doesn't, I heard him report on his debate at Cambridge University (which I haven't heard) on his shock at students at one of the world's leading universities being unable to cope with dissenting views.

The WW1 trench warfare type of debate has become all too common with both sides firing off verbal shells at each other but never communicating.

classic33

The post you quote literally says what I said.
Given that both quoted posts were yours, it stands to reason that it's "literally what you said".
Well they look at the advice from the EHRC and the Equality Act and decide whether it is a proportionate action for a legitimate aim to exclude group x,y, or z. Then they do it. If a member of group x,y, or z feels their group shouldn't have been excluded they are free to seek legal redress against the employer or service provider.
You might be surprised to learn that it has nothing to do with the Equalities Act, or guidance from a body such as the EHRC, and more to do with protecting themselves from any claims arising from misuse. And very likely that it's down in their insurance as well.
It's not done on an individual basis though is it? Otherwise they would allow small 12 year olds in the ball pool and tiny adults. It's done on the individual scenario of each service or facility that IKEA offer.

'Is it proportionate to exclude over tens from the ball pool on the legitimate grounds of safety and safeguarding? 'Yes, let's do it'.

'Is it proportionate to exclude over tens from the restaurant on the grounds of some of them being noisy? 'No, so let's not do that'.
The fact that they don't place a weight or height restriction may be nothing but being diplomatic. Can you imagine a sign that states "No-one over 72lb in weight allowed to use the ball pool"?
Which is easier police, age or weight?
Go by weight and they'd be required to have a working weighing scale to hand.

Like it or not, word it how you want, but it still remains an individual assessment, for all using it. They can ask the age of those using it, them point out, if required, that the upper age limit is 10. Not 11 or 12. All with no extra outlay on their part.
The responsible adults* would have to explain to the older child why they can't use it.

An example for you, what age group uses stunt scooters the most?
Then consider the weight given above, 75lbs, is nearly twice the safe limit for most of the lower(<£50) priced ones. Clearly given in the instructions for use, and printed on the outside of the box.
Who'd be to blame if it broke when someone heavier used it. You for buying something unsuitable or the manufacturer(Who made the limitations clearly visible for you)?

*There seems to be fewer of them every year. Once they're in a place, they tend not to bother about their kids. Until something goes wrong, and little Johnny or Jill comes running to them.

Ian H

Guru
This has been stated several times, and it makes me wonder if the actual reason is because they don't like hearing views they don't agree with.

Whatever you think of Calvin Robinson, and who doesn't, I heard him report on his debate at Cambridge University (which I haven't heard) on his shock at students at one of the world's leading universities being unable to cope with dissenting views.

The WW1 trench warfare type of debate has become all too common with both sides firing off verbal shells at each other but never communicating.
He shall be known by the company he keeps.

View: https://twitter.com/calvinrobinson/status/1732778394889187779

AndyRM

Elder Goth

Lol. Robinson got butthurt because a few people challenged his obnoxious comments. It happens all the time with delicate wee flowers who think they're being controversial but are nowt more than grifting halfwits.

monkers

Guru
It's not whataboutery to suggest a private individual pursuing advocacy outside work is very different from someone allowing unevidenced ideology to lead the direction of their work.

You haven't even looked at the Cass Report by the sounds of it.

You provided an extract from the Cass report, and then proceeded with a one-sided interpretation of her words. It has not been necessary for any reader here to read the Cass report to notice your deception. Cass blames activism as a contributory factor. You are an activist, but took the myopic view that she could not have been including you within the scope of the word 'activism'. She has in other parts talked about the toxicity from both sides, means that she quite clearly was also attributing blame to the cult of which you are a member.

CXRAndy

Veteran
A lot of the kids had chosen the same names from some of their favourite YouTubers. Some of them were coming into the consultation room with the same script. They were clearly speaking with each other in online spaces and other worlds which we were not part of, as professionals,” she said.

Trendy fashion cult.

monkers

Guru
A lot of the kids had chosen the same names from some of their favourite YouTubers. Some of them were coming into the consultation room with the same script. They were clearly speaking with each other in online spaces and other worlds which we were not part of, as professionals,” she said.

Trendy fashion cult.

If the definition of 'trendy fashion cult' is any group of people that have been increasing in number saying the same thing, then look no further than your own cultish (*checks own spelling) behaviour.

Unkraut

Master of the Inane Comment

Trendy fashion cult.

"With unprecedented help from mental health experts, we have raised the loneliest, most anxious, depressed, pessimistic, helpless, and fearful generation on record. Why?
How did the first generation to raise kids without spanking produce the first generation to declare they never wanted kids of their own? How did kids raised so gently come to believe that they had experienced debilitating childhood trauma? How did kids who received far more psychotherapy than any previous generation plunge into a bottomless well of despair"?

Abigail Shirer.

The trend is both social media based and combined with a therapy culture that is obsessed with self and happiness.

Last edited:

monkers

Guru
"With unprecedented help from mental health experts, we have raised the loneliest, most anxious, depressed, pessimistic, helpless, and fearful generation on record. Why?
How did the first generation to raise kids without spanking produce the first generation to declare they never wanted kids of their own? How did kids raised so gently come to believe that they had experienced debilitating childhood trauma? How did kids who received far more psychotherapy than any previous generation plunge into a bottomless well of despair"?

Abigail Shirer.

This be the verse.

They fark you up, your mum and dad.
They may not mean to, but they do.
They fill you with the faults they had
And add some extra, just for you.

But they were farked up in their turn
By fools in old-style hats and coats,
Who half the time were soppy-stern
And half at one another’s throats.

Man hands on misery to man.
It deepens like a coastal shelf.
Get out as early as you can,
And don’t have any kids yourself.

If you want any semblance of a serious answer, then the answer is this, the world has changed in ways that have deprived todays kids of the opportunities and hope for a better world that we had. Collectively we've farked up, but we can't press the reset button because the billionaires aren't going to hand us our cash back.

Last edited:

CXRAndy

Veteran

Abigail Shirer.

Because these generation of parents weren't behaving as parents, they behaved as friends to their children.

We all need boundaries, especially children. Teach them self worth through effort and reward.

Chastise when necessary to clearly show where the boundaries are .

CXRAndy

Veteran
This be the verse.

They fark you up, your mum and dad.
They may not mean to, but they do.
They fill you with the faults they had
And add some extra, just for you.

But they were farked up in their turn
By fools in old-style hats and coats,
Who half the time were soppy-stern
And half at one another’s throats.

Man hands on misery to man.
It deepens like a coastal shelf.
Get out as early as you can,
And don’t have any kids yourself.

Always blame someone else. Sure nobody is perfect, but it's down to yourself to improve and strive forwards

Top Bottom