Gender again. Sorry!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyRM

Elder Goth
This is a response to Badenoch from last year.

https://www.equalityhumanrights.com...-definition-of-sex-in-ea-210-3-april-2023.pdf

Unsurprisingly she hasn't really moved on from being put back in her box.

icowden

Legendary Member
Maybe you can't see the hate
That's because there isn't any. JK Rowling has repeatedly stated that she is absolutely supportive of trans people, just not at the expense of women's rights. The vile aggression, death and rape threats comes from those who disagree with her. I don't want to be on the side of people threatening to kill, rape and or maim an author. Those are not normal, sane or rational people.

It's just possible that between those people and the Nazis that you are so fond of bringing up, there should be a middle ground where we work out the best way to move forward, preserve the safety of women and transmen and women without resorting to name calling. Part of that is open discussion.

AndyRM

Elder Goth
That's because there isn't any. JK Rowling has repeatedly stated that she is absolutely supportive of trans people, just not at the expense of women's rights. The vile aggression, death and rape threats comes from those who disagree with her. I don't want to be on the side of people threatening to kill, rape and or maim an author. Those are not normal, sane or rational people.

It's just possible that between those people and the Nazis that you are so fond of bringing up, there should be a middle ground where we work out the best way to move forward, preserve the safety of women and transmen and women without resorting to name calling. Part of that is open discussion.

I agree with your point about Rowling (for anyone who hasn't read it, this is what's really relevant: https://www.jkrowling.com/opinions/...ns-for-speaking-out-on-sex-and-gender-issues/) but she doesn't do herself many favours in the ways she uses her social platforms/profile.

Obviously it's up to her, but it wouldn't take much for her to say something along the lines of:

"See all these idiots latching onto what I've said and wildly misinterpreting things on both sides of the debate? Ignore them."

Whether that would do any good or not at this point I really don't know, but it'd be something.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
I agree with your point about Rowling (for anyone who hasn't read it, this is what's really relevant: https://www.jkrowling.com/opinions/...ns-for-speaking-out-on-sex-and-gender-issues/) but she doesn't do herself many favours in the ways she uses her social platforms/profile.

Obviously it's up to her, but it wouldn't take much for her to say something along the lines of:

"See all these idiots latching onto what I've said and wildly misinterpreting things on both sides of the debate? Ignore them."

Whether that would do any good or not at this point I really don't know, but it'd be something.

TLDR. She must be a hater, no other explanation, innit.

AndyRM

Elder Goth
I don't think that they're "minor caveats" at all.

Nothing, really, is minor when it comes to these issues. Well, I suppose some things are, but they get blown up and conflated with all kinds of whatabouttery and bullsh!t to the point where we are where we are, which is pretty much nowhere.

The Drag Queen Story Time stories that have been floating around are a good example.

monkers

Legendary Member
Conservatives will change the EQa to reflect biological sex for single sex spaces. Good thing

Bad news they aren't going to win so wont happen. Unless Labour copy policy :laugh:

So why even mention it? The fascists are getting booted out of government - doesn't that tell you something about the public mood? Oh I forgot about that 'silent majority' of people who all agree with you.

monkers

Legendary Member
That seems to be a letter agreeing that making it clear that sex means biological sex will bring clarity to the Equality Act, with some minor caveats that transwomen will lose out in some areas but transmen will gain in the same areas.

The public don't care for it.

I don't think that they're "minor caveats" at all.

Nothing, really, is minor when it comes to these issues. Well, I suppose some things are, but they get blown up and conflated with all kinds of whatabouttery and bullsh!t to the point where we are where we are, which is pretty much nowhere.

The Drag Queen Story Time stories that have been floating around are a good example.

So the things that matter to you aren't minor, but the things that matter to others are blown up and bs? That's this thread from start to finish really.

The public don't care for it.

I think large numbers of the public do care for it. You'd like to pretend they don't and it's unlikely Labour will do anything other than say 'We aren't clarifying the Equality Act in law as we have other things to get on with' so they can avoid the issue altogether, but people obviously do care about it.

monkers

Legendary Member
I think large numbers of the public do care for it. You'd like to pretend they don't and it's unlikely Labour will do anything other than say 'We aren't clarifying the Equality Act in law as we have other things to get on with' so they can avoid the issue altogether, but people obviously do care about it.

They don't care for the Tories culture war. They're not pandering to this 'woke blob' nonsense, neither are they obsessed with drag queen story time.

https://www.moreincommon.org.uk/our-work/research/backfire-culture-wars-and-the-general-election/

icowden

Legendary Member
They don't care for the Tories culture war. They're not pandering to this 'woke blob' nonsense, neither are they obsessed with drag queen story time.
That's not strictly speaking true. What the article shows and concludes is that it's pretty unimportant for people as a local issues when compared with other, far more important and immediate local issues such as jobs, anti-social behaviour, high street shops and potholes. I think even at a National level people are far more interested in the economy, bills, taxes and immigration for example.

https://www.moreincommon.org.uk/our-work/research/backfire-culture-wars-and-the-general-election/

The fact that you have to link to a poll that asks about drag queen storytime vs potholes smacks of desperation. There are plenty of people who care about things like men in women's sports and prisons and it isn't fueling a culture war to think these issues should be discussed.

Labour are likely to win the next election regardless of their stance on women's rights, and the Tories will likely lose regardless of theirs. It doesn't mean the core issues will go away.

Top Bottom