Gender again. Sorry!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

icowden

Legendary Member
For balance.
One can wonder why it is important to hear the opinion of Rowling as just one person. As an aunt to a fabulous trans woman I'm in tune with David Tennant.
It isn't at all. But the fact is that JK Rowling is a very popular author who is standing up for women's rights as a survivor of domestic violence. She uses her money to fund women's refuges and supports the right of women to have safe havens for men.

Tennant equally speaks up for his opinion on trans rights but again has a vested interest as his son Wilfred is allegedly trans.

The weird thing is that I suspect Tennant would also support the rights of women to be safe and protected and Rowling has stated on many occasions that she supports trans people living their lives in peace, the way that they want to live their lives. So they actually agree on most things.

icowden

Legendary Member
And this is a genuine question: Are you happy with her as the de facto voice (in the main stream media at least) for women's issues?
I am. For me, it's very hard to see anything in her essays and posts that is not thoughtful and well reasoned. Yet she receives daily death and rape threats.

And this is a genuine question: Are you happy with her as the de facto voice (in the main stream media at least) for women's issues?
Yes, pretty much. I haven't seen anything re women's rights that she's said that I disagree with, though there's a bit of piss taking sometimes that I don't think adds anything to the debate. People with a public platform are always going to get more attention than the lower profile ones who've campaigned for years.

If Rowling was banging the drum for trans rights she'd be lauded as a hero for our times, bravely speaking up for the oppressed. Because she talks about women's rights she's told to shut up.

Haven't seen any women threatening to rape or kill David Tennant yet either.

AndyRM

Elder Goth
Yes, pretty much. I haven't seen anything re women's rights that she's said that I disagree with, though there's a bit of piss taking sometimes that I don't think adds anything to the debate. People with a public platform are always going to get more attention than the lower profile ones who've campaigned for years.

If Rowling was banging the drum for trans rights she'd be lauded as a hero for our times, bravely speaking up for the oppressed. Because she talks about women's rights she's told to shut up.

Haven't seen any women threatening to rape or kill David Tennant yet either.

I don't think Rowling is being told to shut up and she's clearly capable of holding her own. Oppressed? I don't think so. Her platform is vast and she uses it well.

Tennant's just sticking up for his children.

multitool

But the fact is that JK Rowling is a very popular author who is standing up for women's rights

Is she though?

SR-Do-You-Like-Scary-Movies-.jpg

I don't think Rowling is being told to shut up and she's clearly capable of holding her own. Oppressed? I don't think so. Her platform is vast and she uses it well.
I wasn't suggesting she's oppressed. I'm suggesting that if she were speaking out for 'their' side those people would be praising her to high heaven.

Tennant's just sticking up for his children.

He's certainly as entitled to his views, and to use his position to promote them, as she is. I think you can make it hard for your kids to walk back from what might be a temporary phase if you subject them to doing their personal exploration of their personality in the public eye though.

multitool

What has she done that isn't in the interest of women's rights?

Her anti-trans stuff. It is only "women's rights" according to a tiny subset of women.

If this wasn't the case, and women as a collective group viewed the existence of trans women as anything more than a fantasy problem we'd hear about from far more women and this would be reflected in things like marches.

There are plenty of women who object to anti-trans campaigning. If you want a microcosm, look at this forum. All the women here are either silent on the matter, or against the anti-trans movement with the exception of one.

We hear from Rowling because she has an enormous platform, far bigger than anyone advocating trans rights. Because hate is a seductive emotion for some, recruitment into the cult is likely.

I believe the term is 'haters gonna hate'.

Last edited:

AndyRM

Elder Goth
I wasn't suggesting she's oppressed. I'm suggesting that if she were speaking out for 'their' side those people would be praising her to high heaven.

He's certainly as entitled to his views, and to use his position to promote them, as she is. I think you can make it hard for your kids to walk back from what might be a temporary phase if you subject them to doing their personal exploration of their personality in the public eye though.

... I didn't say you were suggesting that.

If you can give me someone who's given as much of a platform on "their" side I'm all ears.

Tennant is doing his thing with subtlety and grace but it isn't being picked up on in the same way as Rowling is. There are reasons for this and that's fine.

Influencer Dylan Mulvaney has been to the White House to meet Biden twice. Mulvaney has a social media following of 10 million on TikTok alone and paid endorsements from Crest, CeraVe, Kate Spade, Budweiser (that last one didn't go well to be fair..).

In sports it was routine for years that the likes of Rachel McKinnon/Veronica Ivy was invited on UK tv and elsewhere to give the pro male inclusion argument without a dissenting view to balance it. Billie Jean King, Megan Rapinoe have been platformed for years.

Look how often India Willoughby has been platformed and interviewed over the years. They only seem to have been dropped of late due to going off the deep end on X a bit.

Ordinary women have been fighting to be heard on these issues for years. It's a sign of how much they've been ignored that it takes someone like JKR to shine a light on it. I'm very glad she has.

multitool

Influencer Dylan Mulvaney

Who?

Rachel McKinnon/Veronica

Who?

Look how often India Willoughby

Who?

Oh, I've heard of her. She's the billionaire author known worldwide, with 14 million X followers.

Interesting that you mention Rapinoe. She's a woman, but you discount her views out of hand. Obviously shes the wrong sort of woman, and of course, what would Rapinoe, the most famous female footballer in the world, know about woman's sports compared to some anon cultist on the Internet.

Last edited:
If you genuinely haven't heard of any of those people apart from Rapinoe then you're just illustrating how little you have followed the debate and how little you actually know.

I know that already of course because you're the same guy who says puberty blockers are reversible and thought the Tavistock was actually so successful they were opening more on the same model. You're the guy who had never heard of the two infamous Webberley doctors, to the point where you thought they were one transwoman.

Rapinoe, like Billie Jean King, likes the status of being a gay icon and isn't going to give up the opportunities that brings in order to ensure today's girls have the fairness in sports that she enjoyed.

bobzmyunkle

We hear from Rowling because she has an enormous platform

Plausible statement

, far bigger than anyone advocating trans rights

Implausible statement, but you'll probably caveat it by saying you meant 'any one individual'

Because hate is a seductive emotion for some, recruitment into the cult is likely.

Complete non sequitur. But that's par for the course, reduce any argument to hate or toilets.

Anyhow, waiting for your Rowling hate/anti-trans examples.

Top Bottom