Hellhounds

Should there be a ban on breeding, selling and owning XL Bullies?

• Maiming machines with no place in public space - ban them now.

Votes: 9 39.1%
  • It's not the dogs, it's the owners! Here's a pic of my toddler sitting on my harmless land shark.

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Never mind what kind, dogs in public should be muzzled and on leads.

Votes: 8 34.8%
  • A ban sounds appealing, but it's bad law. I'll explain why and suggest alternatives below.

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • I'd like to see them banned, but I can't bring myself to back Suella Braverman.

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

monkers

Legendary Member
I hope you reported it to the police.
All XLs have to be muzzled and on a lead in public and behind a 6 foot fence at home.

The police said that unless I could give them the name of the owner there is nothing they can do, but they will cheerily make a pencil note in the margin of the next piece of paper they put in the bin.

icowden

Legendary Member
All XLs have to be muzzled and on a lead in public and behind a 6 foot fence at home.

@monkers did say that the owner was nowhere in sight and the dog ran off. Unless there are other attacks in that area and someone identifies the dog's owner there isn't a lot the Police can do.

monkers

Legendary Member

Please forgive my sarcasm in my earlier post Beebo. I've had a couple of recent experiences of reporting things to the police. One was a personal attack. I was cycling one evening and two glasses of a sticky liquid were thrown from a passing car. Luckily I had a bottle of water and was able to wash it off immediately. I washed my bike off when I got home. I didn't manage to identify the liquid but it had attacked the sidewall of a brand new Vittoria Corsa tyre which rendered it bin fodder.

The police told me to go door to door to see if I could get CCTV footage to evidence my story. I thought we paid them to be the detectives.

I've also reported a couple of the most serious close passes with footage from front and back cameras. They made no reply and the counter showing the number of views to the footage remained at zero both times. I'm not blaming individual officers, just the years of underfunding in the service.

Bazzer

Anecdotal evidence only, but I was surprised at what seems to be the number of XL Bully dogs which are around.
My youngest daughter, is currently in a quite a large vet practice. She knew between Christmas and New Year, that this week there were no appointments. This was because of the number of appointments requiring XL Bully dogs to be put down. With her slated for a complete litter.

My animal charity friend tells me vets are charging £600 plus to PTS these dogs because they have to sometimes in effect close the vets as they can't have them around other pets.

Looks like Scotland are closing the loophole too.

Bazzer

My animal charity friend tells me vets are charging £600 plus to PTS these dogs because they have to sometimes in effect close the vets as they can't have them around other pets.

Looks like Scotland are closing the loophole too.
I suspect that may be some vets, and the charge quoted is more think of a number you can justify/get away with. Not dissimilar to having you by the short and curlies, should you require towing from a breakdown on a remote section of the M6, at 5pm on a frosty Christmas Day, and you were without breakdown cover.
Certainly where my daughter is working (outskirts of Liverpool), I would be astonished if that was the charge.

fozy tornip

fozympotent
I believe vets will be charging £600, just not for the stated reasons.

I can believe the £600 charge easily. My partner paid £450 to have her ancient terrier euthanized. "Treatment" of xl bullies now is a vets market, they know not many people will shop around for prices or do the deed themselves at home

Beebo

Veteran
Most of that cost would be disposal of the body. And it’s a big body.
Mass incineration is cheaper than single body incineration.
The cheapest option is to bring the body home and dig a hole in your garden.

AndyRM

Elder Goth
I was told by my local council that it was illegal to bury two of my cats in my front yard when they crossed the rainbow bridge.

This turned out to be misleading, as it's totally fine as long as they're under two feet of soil, away from water sources and not been pumped full of drugs.

Digging a two foot grave for a large dog would be quite an undertaking!

Beebo

Veteran

I agree.
My brother buried an English Bulldog. It took him a whole day to dig the hole. A XL bully is far bigger.
And if you live in a block of flats it’s impossible or if you have a small garden you might not have space.
But the costs quoted above are almost certainly for a full service not just the euthanasia.
And when you buy any pet, the cost of its eventual demise is something every owner has to deal with.

Bazzer

I was told by my local council that it was illegal to bury two of my cats in my front yard when they crossed the rainbow bridge.

This turned out to be misleading, as it's totally fine as long as they're under two feet of soil, away from water sources and not been pumped full of drugs.

Just out of curiosity, why did you ask?
My parents had a total of 5 Old English Sheepdogs, buried on their land and our garden contains multiple bodies of various species; rabbits, hedgehogs, birds, and fish, dotted around it, from our children growing up. If we had a dog when they were growing up, that would have been in there too.
Perhaps it is just our nature, but neither I nor my parents would have considered contacting the council to see if we had burial rights.

AndyRM

Elder Goth
Just out of curiosity, why did you ask?
My parents had a total of 5 Old English Sheepdogs, buried on their land and our garden contains multiple bodies of various species; rabbits, hedgehogs, birds, and fish, dotted around it, from our children growing up. If we had a dog when they were growing up, that would have been in there too.
Perhaps it is just our nature, but neither I nor my parents would have considered contacting the council to see if we had burial rights.

Honestly, I have no idea because that's not usually my style.

I suppose I was in a bit of shock (Clyde was particularly smashed up) and it seemed like the right thing to check? They didn't actually say anything other than they'd charge for someone to come round, about £250 or something, and take the body away but that it could take up to a week.

F*ck that, what am I meant to do with a decomposing cat for a week?! Potted him with dignity in the yard and when his sister followed suit a couple of weeks later (from the same litter, this is a thing with cats) albeit in a far less drastic manner, she went next to him.

Top Bottom