Hellhounds

Should there be a ban on breeding, selling and owning XL Bullies?

• Maiming machines with no place in public space - ban them now.

Votes: 8 38.1%
  • It's not the dogs, it's the owners! Here's a pic of my toddler sitting on my harmless land shark.

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • Never mind what kind, dogs in public should be muzzled and on leads.

Votes: 7 33.3%
  • A ban sounds appealing, but it's bad law. I'll explain why and suggest alternatives below.

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • I'd like to see them banned, but I can't bring myself to back Suella Braverman.

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
Whippets are another breed my charity friend says they get a fair few coming in for rehoming. Why do people get dogs that need loads of exercise if they don't want to go out at least twice a day? Covid and work from home led a lot of people to get pets without really thinking it through I suppose.

The issues is - how do you ban something that has no definition. The breed has AFAIK no official definition. There is no DNA test that can be carried out etc.

I think pretty-much it's a case of if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck.... If people seemed to know well enough what they are when breeding, selling and buying, then am sure they can be recognised after the legislation change.

Definitions are difficult.
If there's a breed/type of dog where there is evidence of increased levels of harm to humans or other dogs that is over and above that other breeds/types of dogs we should be asking whether we want people to be able to own them in the first place, and if they do, consider leads and muzzles in public. One has to question why people wish to own such beasts as XL Bully's etc in the first place?

There's a young and 'uncontrollable' Rottweiler around here (owned by what seem to be sensible and decent kind of people) that is always walked on a lead but without a muzzle. Recently it had a go at one of mine who was off-lead at the time. It's a powerful beast that they can only just restrain. If for whatever reason they were caught off-guard, he could do a lot of damage and to my mind should be muzzled for the safety of others.
Dogs are wild animals at the end of the day, whilst we domesticate and train, there's always an element of unpredictability...couple that with an ability to kill or maim, owning such dogs is a risk and comes with extra responsibilities to minimise that risk.

albion

Guru
Whippets are another breed my charity friend says they get a fair few coming in for rehoming. Why do people get dogs that need loads of exercise if they don't want to go out at least twice a day? Covid and work from home led a lot of people to get pets without really thinking it through I suppose.

Sadly, people breed and race them, simply dumping them when old or slow.

Bazzer

What Kennel name? My Parents were 'Hayes Barton' Old English Sheepdogs. Blimey, they even had an OES number plate. For some years until I was old enough to be left home alone, dog shows ruined many a good weekends skateboarding/cycling/surfing!

However, we (Wimpers) started Lure coursing the Whippets - just for fun (and made it a weekend away in the camper). Of course the we get the inevitable mission-creep so now she's on the committee* and as of this week just started to volunteer for a whippet rehoming charity...it's like deja-vu all over again....

*I bugged-out at this stage. As we've moved west, most events now are only a day-trip anyhow.

Ah, the forgotten joys of the hours of sitting around at the Manchester (and others) dog show!
My parents used the name Trimtora. They bred through the 1960s, but by the early 70s boarding kennels and my Dad starting an animal food shop took over and it stopped.
Mary Quant bought one of their puppies in the late 60s. (Dad took some convincing by her husband it was actually her). Not only did she want a puppy, but she also wanted Dad to provide everything the dog would need. And then when the puppy was old enough to travel, for everything to be flown to London. When the puppy was about 6 months old, she sent a letter giving him an update of the dog's progress and picture of it sitting on a red leather chesterfield.

Actually, Whippets as pets need very little exercise and sleep most of the time.

Racing them is still popular up north so the same applies.

We've raced ours down South and it's just as popular....

AndyRM

Elder Goth
We've raced ours down South and it's just as popular....

Yeah, I don't think it's a North/South thing at all. In my brother's, and others I know who have rescued whippets, they've all come from a racing background so it's no wonder they just want to laze around.

Yeah, I don't think it's a North/South thing at all. In my brother's, and others I know who have rescued whippets, they've all come from a racing background so it's no wonder they just want to laze around.

If you think about their (and other sightghound) backgrounds, they're the Cheetah's of the canine world. Designed for high speed chases over short distances. Like the Cheetah, their bodies are not designed for stamina, so like cheetah's they conserve their energy when not hunting. Whether they are ex- racers, or never raced or lure coursed, their background doesn't really matter, they're all pretty much day-long dozers that only require a few good short zoomies in a day to be content.
Lure coursing Whippets compete greater distances over a zig-zagging course over more natural terrain than racing whippets which are straight line and possibly a bend. It's comparing 100m dash to a 400m for humans.

albion

Guru
Read the manuel!

Attachments

• giphy.gif
    giphy.gif
    893 KB · Views: 2
Top Bottom