Hellhounds

Should there be a ban on breeding, selling and owning XL Bullies?

• Maiming machines with no place in public space - ban them now.

Votes: 8 36.4%
  • It's not the dogs, it's the owners! Here's a pic of my toddler sitting on my harmless land shark.

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • Never mind what kind, dogs in public should be muzzled and on leads.

Votes: 8 36.4%
  • A ban sounds appealing, but it's bad law. I'll explain why and suggest alternatives below.

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • I'd like to see them banned, but I can't bring myself to back Suella Braverman.

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stephec

Regular
It would be specially adapted for dogs:

Nosetime, running over WuFu and with a paws button ;)

Not just any old dog and bone then.

Fatal attack on a woman jogging by a Staffs bull terrier in Austria, with owner seriously injured. The report calls it an 'American Staffordshire' dog which is presumably their name for the Bully XL.

https://www.viennatimes.com/austria-news/fatal-dog-attack-shakes-naarn-tragedy-unfolds/?amp=1

I'm not sure that we can be sure that an 'American Staffordshire' is a Bully XL. Didn't the original demon dog, the Pit Bull, have Staffie heritage too?

I'm very much of the theory that we can get too hung up on the so called breed. There's not even an agreed definition of a Bully XL in the UK and even when there is there'll be dozens of cases where Fido on 'death row' costs his both his owners and the authorities thousands in lawyers fees proving he is or is not....

Mr Celine

I'm very much of the theory that we can get too hung up on the so called breed. There's not even an agreed definition of a Bully XL in the UK ...
That is also the RSPCA's position.

The same RSPCA that sells pet insurance but not for excluded breeds, which includes the Bully XL.

monkers

Legendary Member
I've just come to this thread. I hadn't heard of the XL Bully. A week ago I set off to the Co-op for milk. After about a hundred metres or so I was attacked by a dog from behind. It ran at me and sank its teeth into my upper leg. The force of it hitting me there took me down. My right temple hit a parked van, and face hit the kerb cutting me at the eye brow. This injury bled - a lot. The dog moved its bite to another part of my leg and was hanging on still from behind making it difficult to tackle. It wasn't wearing a collar so I couldn't easily get hold of it.

Eventually I managed to get a few punches into the side of its face after I managed to roll on top of it. It took me a couple of minutes of punching to get it to release. Both of my hands were bleeding quite badly from attempting to release the dog.

It then just ran off. No sign of the owner. I say 'owner' but I don't think we humans are entitled to say we 'own' animals.

A friend later told me about the XL bully. So I googled it and sure enough, that looked very much like the dog that attacked me.

One of the bite marks on my leg after a week of healing ...

IMG_20240110_150711184_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

icowden

Legendary Member
Eventually I managed to get a few punches into the side of its face after I managed to roll on top of it. It took me a couple of minutes of punching to get it to release. Both of my hands were bleeding quite badly from attempting to release the dog.
Glad you weren't badly injured. I gather these mutts can administer much more serious injuries. I hope it doesn't happen ever again, but if it does, apparently the quickest way to get a dog to release is to ram something - even your finger - up it's anus. This may be a bit of apocrypha though. Apparently strangulation is another good method if your hands are strong enough.

monkers

Legendary Member
Glad you weren't badly injured. I gather these mutts can administer much more serious injuries. I hope it doesn't happen ever again, but if it does, apparently the quickest way to get a dog to release is to ram something - even your finger - up it's anus. This may be a bit of apocrypha though. Apparently strangulation is another good method if your hands are strong enough.

Had I been a small child, I would likely have been killed.

Top Bottom