Hellhounds

Should there be a ban on breeding, selling and owning XL Bullies?

• Maiming machines with no place in public space - ban them now.

Votes: 9 39.1%
  • It's not the dogs, it's the owners! Here's a pic of my toddler sitting on my harmless land shark.

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Never mind what kind, dogs in public should be muzzled and on leads.

Votes: 8 34.8%
  • A ban sounds appealing, but it's bad law. I'll explain why and suggest alternatives below.

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • I'd like to see them banned, but I can't bring myself to back Suella Braverman.

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyRM

Elder Goth
RE: the XL Bully prices - £600 is probably about right. About 2/3 of that if you want to take care of disposal yourself.

Probably considerably more if you wanted a home visit, though I know some practices stopped doing those for domestic animals.

The question still remains, how many breeds to have to be banned before we find out is a certain type of owner not the pets. alltough a bite from a Bully XL hurts more then a small breed.
But if we then go the ban route, wouldn't it be better to look at how to stop breeding with the sole or almost sole purpose of having an more wider or aggressive dog? , as both the Bully XL as the Pitbull came from such efforts.

The police said that unless I could give them the name of the owner there is nothing they can do, but they will cheerily make a pencil note in the margin of the next piece of paper they put in the bin.
They can do more like start a search operation, owner can be charged with ''being in possession of a dangerous and out of control dog'' but like many things they probably will not be willing to do that because they ''don't have the capacity''

Just out of curiosity, why did you ask?
My parents had a total of 5 Old English Sheepdogs, buried on their land and our garden contains multiple bodies of various species; rabbits, hedgehogs, birds, and fish, dotted around it, from our children growing up. If we had a dog when they were growing up, that would have been in there too.
Perhaps it is just our nature, but neither I nor my parents would have considered contacting the council to see if we had burial rights.

My parents bred, showed, and judged Old English sheepdogs! Am scarred for life ;-)

I do think we are going to see a lot abandoned or just killed and dumped in the countryside. My friend tells me it's difficult to remove an identity chip but I wouldn't be surprised if there developed a niche market for doing that. Then you just dump it at a charity dog pound and say you found it wandering about. They're already overrun with dumped Staffies they struggle to rehome.

matticus

Guru
I do think we are going to see a lot abandoned or just killed and dumped in the countryside. My friend tells me it's difficult to remove an identity chip but I wouldn't be surprised if there developed a niche market for doing that. Then you just dump it at a charity dog pound and say you found it wandering about. They're already overrun with dumped Staffies they struggle to rehome.

Am I right in saying this breed has not been banned - but owners now need to control them better in public, including a muzzle?

If so, I'm surprised so many are being destroyed :sad: Have I missed some rules?

AndyRM

Elder Goth
Am I right in saying this breed has not been banned - but owners now need to control them better in public, including a muzzle?

If so, I'm surprised so many are being destroyed :sad: Have I missed some rules?

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/xl-bully-type-dogs-to-be-banned

matticus

Guru

Thanks.

It seems quite a confusing doc. I can't see that they are "banned" if you read this:

From this date, these dogs must be kept on a lead and muzzled in public. Owners of XL Bully dogs are recommended to start training their dog to wear a muzzle and to walk on a lead ahead of the legal restrictions coming into force.
So current owners don't seem to be compelled to destroy the animals.

But I can see how a lot of dogs currently with breeders are in jeopardy :-(

it will be illegal to breed, sell, advertise, exchange, gift, rehome, abandon or allow XL Bully dogs to stray in England and Wales.

AndyRM

Elder Goth
I think basically they're banned unless you have an exemption, and it's illegal for new ones to be bred? How successful either of these measures will be remains to be seen.

I think basically they're banned unless you have an exemption, and it's illegal for new ones to be bred? How successful either of these measures will be remains to be seen.
Just as succesfull as anything this govement seems to do, looks nice for the 5 minute PR moment, long(er) term there will just be a other XL bully like breed taking over it's place and not much will change.

icowden

Legendary Member
The issues is - how do you ban something that has no definition. The breed has AFAIK no official definition. There is no DNA test that can be carried out etc.

Mine as above, minus the judging. 👍
Unless you have been part of it, you don't appreciate how much of your life it dominated. 🙂

What Kennel name? My Parents were 'Hayes Barton' Old English Sheepdogs. Blimey, they even had an OES number plate. For some years until I was old enough to be left home alone, dog shows ruined many a good weekends skateboarding/cycling/surfing!

However, we (Wimpers) started Lure coursing the Whippets - just for fun (and made it a weekend away in the camper). Of course the we get the inevitable mission-creep so now she's on the committee* and as of this week just started to volunteer for a whippet rehoming charity...it's like deja-vu all over again....

*I bugged-out at this stage. As we've moved west, most events now are only a day-trip anyhow.

Really? I've always found the Old English to be gentle, and good with children!

Yes they are! However when you have 3 (and they're fairly large beasts with full coat) in a small 3 bed semi, the smell of wet-dog and hair everywhere, the barking, the fact that the world seemed to revolve around them just gets wearing. When we had just one as a pet it was fine.
Whilst they're good with children in a general temperament way, my kids hated them, wet beards, barking, Mum shouting at them, getting knocked-over by boisterousness from time to time did, not endear them....

Top Bottom