I Am For...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyRM

Elder Goth
It was such a beautiful moment when my daughter found out that 'artist' could be a legit career choice. Then I told her about design and about architecture and how everything we make and use has a form that's been thought about and how that can also be a means of expression. There was a point when it all clicked for her and she kind of got it and her world just became a bit bigger and more interesting.

That's lovely. You've done well there. If you'd like I could suggest some books for your daughter to have a look through?

mudsticks

Squire
Yeah, that's my 'hood. Live in North Shields, though I'm Scottish.

Seen Lyr a couple times. Love 'em. A friend of mine has done some production work for them.

I hope they play Great Coat, it's a heartbreaker like, but one helluva tune.

And that lineup is class. If you can, Mogwai, Squarepusher and DJ Yoda will all be worth a look. And I'd recommend getting ripped to the tits on psychotropic substances for DJ Yoda, because if he puts on a video show, you're in for a good time. I mean, even if you don't, you will be, but it's a f*cking wild ride if you're spangled.

I know right Mogwai are my go to if I'm feeling sad, or happy,

Or anything in-between

And Bjork, and Spiritualised, Metronomy, Hannah Peel, Lone Lady, ..etc etc .

Too much for one weekend..
Thankfully I don't need psychotropics for my kicks though .
Music and dancing does it for me .

🌈😎😻🐧

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
That's lovely. You've done well there. If you'd like I could suggest some books for your daughter to have a look through?

That would be great, thanks. She's probably forgotten all about our conversation by now but she's exercising her creative skills through the medium of Minecraft and Lego.

AndyRM

Elder Goth
I know right Mogwai are my go to if I'm feeling sad, or happy,

Or anything in-between

And Bjork, and Spiritualised, Metronomy, Hannah Peel, Lone Lady, ..etc etc .

Too much for one weekend..
Thankfully I don't need psychotropics for my kicks though .
Music and dancing does it for me .

🌈😎😻🐧

Remurdered is one of my favourites from them recently.

I hope they play it for you.

I've just discovered this version, which is absolutely belting -

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbfoFRRUu2w

The tension in that is absolutely outrageous.

AndyRM

Elder Goth
That would be great, thanks. She's probably forgotten all about our conversation by now but she's exercising her creative skills through the medium of Minecraft and Lego.

Some of these are maybe a bit niche, but they are books which have helped my creative thinking...

Information is Beautiful - David McCandless

The Oxford Companion to Western Art - Brigstocke

Sustainable Graphic Design - Wendy Jedlicka

Anatomy for the Artist - Sarah Simblet

Mondrian - John Milner

Neurocomic - Dr Matteo Farinella and Dr Hana Ros

Lord of the Logos (Designing the Metal Underground) - Cristophe Espajdjel

Black Metal (Beyond The Darkness) - Seems to have multiple writers involved, it was published by Black Dog Books.

World War in Cartoons - Mark Bryant

True Norwegian Black Metal - Peter Beste

Paris-Roubaix: A Journey Through Hell - Again, multiple writers

Book of Cats - Ralph Steadman

I have all these, and would happily pass them on, so give me a shout if you'd like me to.

Ian H

Guru
DSC_0249_1.jpg

mudsticks

Squire
Remurdered is one of my favourites from them recently.

I hope they play it for you.

I've just discovered this version, which is absolutely belting -

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbfoFRRUu2w

The tension in that is absolutely outrageous.

One of the main reasons #2 son moved to Glasgow was for the music, and art scene..

Spent most of last Autumn winter hefting black boxes around various venues and got to meet a few of his 'musical heroes'..

Right now he's now hefting rocks around Torridon...

No doubt with a quality playlist, and keeping in shape for his next hometown gig 😇

IMG_20220626_125229_544~2.jpg

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
Some of these are maybe a bit niche, but they are books which have helped my creative thinking...

Information is Beautiful - David McCandless

The Oxford Companion to Western Art - Brigstocke

Sustainable Graphic Design - Wendy Jedlicka

Anatomy for the Artist - Sarah Simblet

Mondrian - John Milner

Neurocomic - Dr Matteo Farinella and Dr Hana Ros

Lord of the Logos (Designing the Metal Underground) - Cristophe Espajdjel

Black Metal (Beyond The Darkness) - Seems to have multiple writers involved, it was published by Black Dog Books.

World War in Cartoons - Mark Bryant

True Norwegian Black Metal - Peter Beste

Paris-Roubaix: A Journey Through Hell - Again, multiple writers

Book of Cats - Ralph Steadman

I have all these, and would happily pass them on, so give me a shout if you'd like me to.

Thanks, I'll look them up and see if there are any which might pique her interest.

icowden

Legendary Member
No, absolutely not.
That's close to the the manifesto I have on my website "Art is for everyone" - https://www.nonbinarefinery.com
And whenever anyone says to me "I can't draw" my response is simple: "If you have a pencil (or whatever) and a bit of paper, you can."
I think this is the problem that I have with art (I can't draw).
If I look at your site, I see things like Lady Rona, man and dreamcatcher - that's too much like skill for me.
Then I look at things like Rocket, Pavement, Aerial, Grave, Basement which if it were me I'd never consider putting in a frame and giving a name. Some of them I really like , they make me think. Teeth for example. Even Prison has more depth than you think on first looking at it.

This isn't to say that they aren't art, just that I personally have trouble appreciating them as such. It is so subjective and difficult to quantify.

In a similar vein, my BiL became dispirited during his Fine Art degree. He would be producing huge pieces that took many hours to complete whilst some of his fellow students would just be drawing a line on paper or painting themselves green and running round in the nude - but still getting high marks - or better marks than work that took skill and planning, that had depth and meaning.

The art that I am an expert at is music. I can play and craft music, but there is no equivalent to physical art. If you don't put in the time and effort it doesn't work. That said, if you get avant garde enough, you do get any old nonsense :-)

Lots of artistic skill on my wife's side of the family. This is my daughter's first GCSE textiles project.

PXL_20220719_123430014.jpg

Last edited:

mudsticks

Squire
She just sits among the carrots and peas.

Until she fancies a change..

I quite like the Starskey and Hutch slantwise parking I've got going on here..
PXL_20220719_104400598.jpg

Of course I'm just waayyy too busy (and important) to straighten sh*t up...

These stormy clouds didn't come to much .
A few drops, a couple of dust twisters..

And it's boiling again 😥

Top Bottom