I Am For...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyRM

Elder Goth
I think this is the problem that I have with art (I can't draw).
If I look at your site, I see things like Lady Rona, man and dreamcatcher - that's too much like skill for me.
Then I look at things like Rocket, Pavement, Aerial, Grave, Basement which if it were me I'd never consider putting in a frame and giving a name. Some of them I really like , they make me think. Teeth for example. Even Prison has more depth than you think on first looking at it.

This isn't to say that they aren't art, just that I personally have trouble appreciating them as such. It is so subjective and difficult to quantify.

In a similar vein, my BiL became dispirited during his Fine Art degree. He would be producing huge pieces that took many hours to complete whilst some of his fellow students would just be drawing a line on paper or painting themselves green and running round in the nude - but still getting high marks - or better marks than work that took skill and planning, that had depth and meaning.

The art that I am an expert at is music. I can play and craft music, but there is no equivalent to physical art. If you don't put in the time and effort it doesn't work. That said, if you get avant garde enough, you do get any old nonsense :-)

Lots of artistic skill on my wife's side of the family. This is my daughter's first GCSE textiles project.

View attachment 1671

It's quite alright. I've been doing this for years and fully accept that people don't think in the same way as I do about what I make, but I appreciate the compliments and understand where you're coming from.

That dress is fabulous!

IMG_20220719_222924822_HDR.jpg

More recently I've been trying cut up art, inspired by P.Orridge of Throbbing Gristle fame. Great book, and a very interesting person.

AndyRM

Elder Goth
I think this is the problem that I have with art (I can't draw).
If I look at your site, I see things like Lady Rona, man and dreamcatcher - that's too much like skill for me.
Then I look at things like Rocket, Pavement, Aerial, Grave, Basement which if it were me I'd never consider putting in a frame and giving a name. Some of them I really like , they make me think. Teeth for example. Even Prison has more depth than you think on first looking at it.

This isn't to say that they aren't art, just that I personally have trouble appreciating them as such. It is so subjective and difficult to quantify.

In a similar vein, my BiL became dispirited during his Fine Art degree. He would be producing huge pieces that took many hours to complete whilst some of his fellow students would just be drawing a line on paper or painting themselves green and running round in the nude - but still getting high marks - or better marks than work that took skill and planning, that had depth and meaning.

The art that I am an expert at is music. I can play and craft music, but there is no equivalent to physical art. If you don't put in the time and effort it doesn't work. That said, if you get avant garde enough, you do get any old nonsense :-)

Lots of artistic skill on my wife's side of the family. This is my daughter's first GCSE textiles project.

View attachment 1671

Oh, and the reason for the names... It's an ongoing project. I ask people to give me a word, and I draw my interpretation of it. They have no say in the matter, but I am clear about that when I explain what the project is about. The ones up there are for sale purely because I'm trying to make a living out of this. It's not going particularly well, mostly because I just give stuff away. Half the stuff on my site is gone.

I guess I should shift my mindset from hating the idea of art as a commercial enterprise.

icowden

Legendary Member
Oh, and the reason for the names... It's an ongoing project. I ask people to give me a word, and I draw my interpretation of it. They have no say in the matter, but I am clear about that when I explain what the project is about.
I'd guessed that each piece more or less is about a word. It's a great concept. My problem is (I think) me to quite a large extent. I find it quite difficult to think things that I have done are good unless I really do think they are actually good - thus much would get thrown away. I am a little neuro-divergent (probably towards the Aspergers end of the autistic spectrum) , quite completist and a little perfectionist - and I think I have poor fine motor skills when it comes to fiddly detail. This doesn't help as my mindset is already "well that is a thing I am not good at".

On the other hand, I do understand possibly how your mind may work when you "see" the word as I can do a similar thing but with music. Each of those words immediately suggests to me, a way to set them to music, a specific sound, orchestration and / or tune. If I look at your picture of the word, the idea immediately changes as my mind wants to incorporate something about the way you have interpreted the word.

For example, "Spine". On seeing the words, I immediately think of something slightly jolly but on the xylophone or marimba - mostly because I am visualising dancing vertebrae. On seeing the picture however that changes to something more orchestrated, a fuller warmer sound, something that builds and resolves to echo the completeness.

That might be an interesting thing to make...

AndyRM

Elder Goth
I'd guessed that each piece more or less is about a word. It's a great concept. My problem is (I think) me to quite a large extent. I find it quite difficult to think things that I have done are good unless I really do think they are actually good - thus much would get thrown away. I am a little neuro-divergent (probably towards the Aspergers end of the autistic spectrum) , quite completist and a little perfectionist - and I think I have poor fine motor skills when it comes to fiddly detail. This doesn't help as my mindset is already "well that is a thing I am not good at".

On the other hand, I do understand possibly how your mind may work when you "see" the word as I can do a similar thing but with music. Each of those words immediately suggests to me, a way to set them to music, a specific sound, orchestration and / or tune. If I look at your picture of the word, the idea immediately changes as my mind wants to incorporate something about the way you have interpreted the word.

For example, "Spine". On seeing the words, I immediately think of something slightly jolly but on the xylophone or marimba - mostly because I am visualising dancing vertebrae. On seeing the picture however that changes to something more orchestrated, a fuller warmer sound, something that builds and resolves to echo the completeness.

That might be an interesting thing to make...

Thank you, that's very kind. My current version of it is to ask people to give me 10 words, and I'll stitch a book of them together.

I like your take on music, and you are clearly very talented creatively. A creative mind is a wonderful thing, and to be treasured. Don't beat yourself up.

If you do, I'd love to hear a musical take on "Spine", that would be cool as f*ck.

D

Deleted member 49

I respected what he did and what was behind his art ....but it didn't do much for me personally.
I'd guessed that each piece more or less is about a word. It's a great concept. My problem is (I think) me to quite a large extent. I find it quite difficult to think things that I have done are good unless I really do think they are actually good
Lol....I live with a Artist...they rarely think things of their own are "good" !

AndyRM

Elder Goth
I respected what he did and what was behind his art ....but it didn't do much for me personally.

Lol....I live with a Artist...they rarely think things of their own are "good" !

Amen to that! It's a very weird feeling, because on one hand I know I'm good, but on the other I need others to validate that for me. A dichotomy between arrogance and neediness.

D

Deleted member 49

Amen to that! It's a very weird feeling, because on one hand I know I'm good, but on the other I need others to validate that for me. A dichotomy between arrogance and neediness.
Which confirms... All artists are narcissists 😁

mudsticks

Squire
I am for ..

The Aubergine as Art.

Bit late for a first one, but the plants were badly undermined by voles..

That's what the kitties are for..

Right better dust off my deely boppers,💚💜
And dig out the tu tu..

Festering festivalling calls..

PXL_20220721_133418746~2.jpg

mudsticks

Squire
Alright, but didn't Whitman cover this?

Ok mr wet couveture .

We're revisiting it for this very specific cohort, alright ..??

I'm also for Adam Buxton .

PXL_20220723_155950787.jpg

Kinda feel like I'm doing most of the low art / lowlife juxtaposition, heavy lifting atm .

C'mon groovy cats , where's your art at .

Top Bottom