Incredibly brave young women in Iran...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

C R

Über Member
Yes i saw that too - it has to carry some weight surely - if only because its something thats being reported in international news .

Hope your wifes friend is ok - must be very scary times to be living through - best wishes and courage to all of them .

I saw there were some quite well observed strikes in support of reform in many cities a couple of days ago too.

I'm not sure how much Khamenei and Co care about western opinion, and both China and Russia will shield the regime from effective UN censure lest it sets a precedent :sad:.

Strikes of one kind of another have been ongoing for some time now. I think the protest are now moving to lower key but more widespread action which is more sustainable. That's how the previous regime fell. The difficulty is who will come up on top once the current lot finally give way.

C R

Über Member
The women of Iran are Time Magazine Heroes of the Year
https://time.com/heroes-of-the-year-2022-women-of-iran/

C R

Über Member
It is hard to believe the level of depravity. My wife's friend said yesterday she could not quite believe some of the stories about the repression until she was there. Her voice was breaking as she said she couldn't bring herself to accept that Iranians would do that to their people, and was quite taken aback by the charge against what was effectively a handful of ladies walking in silence by the entrance to the university. Still, she got lucky she only got a large bruise on the back of her legs.

glasgowcyclist

Über Member
Reactions: C R

C R

Über Member
I am in awe of Taraneh Alidoosti, released on bail, she walked without hijab to the group waiting for her at Evin.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-64163189

That's brave.

C R

Über Member
In other developments, Charlie Hebdo have poked fun at Khamenei in their usual irreverent way. Considering the attack they suffered a few years back I can't help but being in awe of their determination.

OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Squire
I am in awe of Taraneh Alidoosti, released on bail, she walked without hijab to the group waiting for her at Evin.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-64163189

That's brave.

I'm constantly in awe at the bravery and determination of these young people.

But also horribly concerned for those who have death sentences hanging over them.
The authorities have already demonstrated that they're willing to kill their young citizens at the protests, and also once they're in custody.

Its unbelievably horrific.

An Iranian friend of mine organised a vigil and demo in Exeter a couple of weeks back, it was well attended, drew quite a crowd of interested passers by as well..

Again its hard not to feel totally 'powerless' in terms of being to help, but keeping it in the news is something I suppose.

Reactions: C R

C R

Über Member

C R

Über Member
The documentary 752 is not a number is released on iTunes. It tells the story of the downing of flight PS752 by Iranian anti aircraft missiles shortly after taking off from Tehran International Airport, and the fight of Hamed Esmaeilion to get to the bottom of how this happened.

Esmaeilion's wife and daughter were in that flight, returning to Canada via Kyiiv after visiting family in Iran. There were no survivors.

This weekend rallies to remember the victims of flight PS752 will take place in many cities around the world. I London the rally will take place in Marble Arch, starting at noon. Maybe we'll see you there.

IMG-20230106-WA0000.jpg

Top Bottom