Incredibly brave young women in Iran...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

C R

BBC reporting two more executions of protesters, today. Both men.

Yes, the mullahs don't give up easily. :sad:

OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Squire
It's unbearable, unfathomable, beastial, chillingly hideous in the worst possible way.

I know that Iran isn't the only country that has a track record of deliberately killing it's young people like this, but still, its utterly horrendous.

C R

Iranians thanking Charlie Hebdo for their support

IMG-20230112-WA0001.jpg

Narges Mohammadi, who is currently in prison for her work on women's rights in Iran, has been awarded this year's Nobel Peace Prize

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...-narges-mohammadi-wins-2023-nobel-peace-prize

She's the second Iranian woman to be awarded this Prize. Shirin Ebadi received the prize in 2003, for the same reasons. Depressingly little has changed in the 20 years since.
indeed very depressing, have all the protest died out too? i don;t remember reading anything about it recently

C R

indeed very depressing, have all the protest died out too? i don;t remember reading anything about it recently

It is all low level civil resistance now. Apparently in Tehran and other large cities more than half of women don't cover their hair, so the government forces just pick people at random to make examples of them.

OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Squire
It is all low level civil resistance now. Apparently in Tehran and other large cities more than half of women don't cover their hair, so the government forces just pick people at random to make examples of them.

The accounts I follow still show government operatives (I don't know if they're police or someone else) harassing young people in the streets.

But it seems that there is also footage of women out and about with hair uncovered* so i guess the 'crackdown' didn't work as fully as the authorities had hoped.

*That anyone should have to fight and die for such a basic 'right' in this day and age is unthinkable, but here we are.

C R

The accounts I follow still show government operatives (I don't know if they're police or someone else) harassing young people in the streets.

But it seems that there is also footage of women out and about with hair uncovered* so i guess the 'crackdown' didn't work as fully as the authorities had hoped.

*That anyone should have to fight and die for such a basic 'right' in this day and age is unthinkable, but here we are.

They're parallel security forces rather than the regular police, associated with the revolutionary guard and other Islamic crãp. My mil lives in Tehran, and says that in certain areas most women don't cover, and in general only about half still do, but there are regular raids where an area will be sealed off and any women not dressed "properly" are herded out in buses for "re-education". The islamic feckers aren't giving up, but neither are Iranians.

OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Squire
They're parallel security forces rather than the regular police, associated with the revolutionary guard and other Islamic crãp. My mil lives in Tehran, and says that in certain areas most women don't cover, and in general only about half still do, but there are regular raids where an area will be sealed off and any women not dressed "properly" are herded out in buses for "re-education". The islamic feckers aren't giving up, but neither are Iranians.

Well good for them not giving up, it must be so frustrating and scarey.

I have Iranian women friends who can't go home to visit their families right now, because of the situation.

I hope things change for the better, but I don't know if that's a possibility any time soon 🤔

Reactions: C R

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
It does seem like the mass protests have subsided, though the individual acts of defiance continue. Lovely to hear about the award but sad that the situation seems as bad as ever in some ways.

• Sad
Reactions: C R
Top Bottom