Is the Green Agenda the new battleground for Brexiteers?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Looking at the mood music coming from the right wingers and Brexit cohorts, I get the impression that there is real and coordinated push back against the move to a carbon free, or low carbon, future.

Look at the header on today's Telegraph calling for a "referendum on net zero" and many commentators (and backbench Tories) calling for Boris Johnson to go because he is overstepping the mark with his drive to net zero. Personally I don't think he's even scratching the surface.

Screenshot 2021-10-21 084647.jpg

I feel momentum is gathering for a Brexit style pushback against net zero and other measures needed to combat climate change. There will be more and more disinformation coming out, funded by the same people who fund the tory party.

It looks grim, but is there enough will on the side of truth to challenge these new charlatans? Will be facing a situation where a new Tory PM (or the current one under pressure from his back benches) approves a referendum on the future of our planet?

fido

If the options are:

A: moving towards a greener world for the betterment of the environment and general health & well-being.

Or:

B: Acting in a way designed to financially benefit the party backers at the expense of the above.

Then the form guide for our current government would hint ever so slightly towards A.

mudsticks

Squire
Very worrying.
I suspect it will be very easy to rabble rouse the masses to go against the green agenda in pursuit of a selfish, easy option.

Let's hope not..

The right wing both libertarian, and authoritarian have always pushed back against us greenies.

Basically we are proposing a cleaner greener pleasanter, more equitable society.

Where everyone is able to meet their own needs , or have them properly.met if they're not able.

Resources and our commons are shared more fairly , and ecosystems and biodiversity that support (our) life on earth are preserved.

Unfortunately that means less extractivism.
Less cold hard capital.

And freer happier citizens.

Those things are not so popular in the right wig world view.

Why are we even hosting the COP if the government (and their press) can't even get behind it??

meanwhile we have a green(er) plant based alternative for diesel, which works in all if not most modern diesel vehicles and it is nowhere to be found in the uk except for industrial usage.
Because the alternative's for gas heating really really suck at the moment, it will only create more resistance for the ''energy'' transition. i really hope the government has a other options in development otherwise where in the same position as we are now roughtly 10/15 years form now. albeit with a even lower willingness to change.. but go on and blame it on Brexiteers, the milkman, guy who like odd-shaped coffecups, girls with a passion for lego etc. etc. but maybe when it's to late tea realize it's long overdue to look in the mirror.

mudsticks

Squire
Very worrying.
I suspect it will be very easy to rabble rouse the masses to go against the green agenda in pursuit of a selfish, easy option.

What's that 'green blob' stuff on the strapline about, anyhow ??

Apart from the short termist extractive capitalists.

Oil corps, etc, who clearly have net losses to suffer if we move away from fossil fuels.

I'm interested as to why your 'average' person might be so resistant to moves towards a greener and cleaner and more socially equitable society ??

What's the great fear, I wonder??

Pale Rider

Veteran
Looking at the mood music coming from the right wingers and Brexit cohorts, I get the impression that there is real and coordinated push back against the move to a carbon free, or low carbon, future.

Look at the header on today's Telegraph calling for a "referendum on net zero" and many commentators (and backbench Tories) calling for Boris Johnson to go because he is overstepping the mark with his drive to net zero. Personally I don't think he's even scratching the surface.

View attachment 110

I feel momentum is gathering for a Brexit style pushback against net zero and other measures needed to combat climate change. There will be more and more disinformation coming out, funded by the same people who fund the tory party.

It looks grim, but is there enough will on the side of truth to challenge these new charlatans? Will be facing a situation where a new Tory PM (or the current one under pressure from his back benches) approves a referendum on the future of our planet?

Yet another attempt to blame Brexiteers for anything and everything.

All that stupidity does is obscure the real question, which presumably is the opposite of what the OP intended.

No surprise there, communication was never a strong point of remainers.

All that stupidity does is obscure the real question, which presumably is the opposite of what the OP intended.

Is it not likely that Brexit and push back against zero carbon appeal to the same cohort?

The Venn diagram would be interesting; like a near total eclipse.

mudsticks

Squire
Is it not likely that Brexit and push back against zero carbon appeal to the same cohort?

The Venn diagram would be interesting; like a near total eclipse.

There could well be a correlation between people who object to regulation for the benefit of others , the benefit of the environment, or the benefit of the long term..

And people who object to moves towards net zero

After all a lot of EU legislation put in place was around environment.

Was this something that brexiteers in particular objected to?

There are troubling moves now in the UK to row back on some of these protections.

Such as on GM

OP
OP
Hitchington

Hitchington

Wokey Dick

"Taking back control!" they all cry, "getting rid of the EU's rules and making our own!"

Here's a question for you Pale Face, what connects climate change deniers, Brexiteers, and Low Traffic Neighbourhood opponents?

The endless lie that - easily corruptible - referendums are more democratically legitimate than actual elections.

The planet doesn't care about your opinions, boy.

Pale Rider

Veteran
"Taking back control!" they all cry, "getting rid of the EU's rules and making our own!"

Here's a question for you Pale Face, what connects climate change deniers, Brexiteers, and Low Traffic Neighbourhood opponents?

The endless lie that - easily corruptible - referendums are more democratically legitimate than actual elections.

The planet doesn't care about your opinions, boy.

What, exactly, are you moaning about?

Almost everything is the simple answer, but is there any green/climate change point anywhere in the sour invective?

Top Bottom