Israel / Palestine

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 159

It matters not what we think we all have our own opinion on the matter. The theatre and others saw it as stepping way beyond reasonable behaviour

As far as I know, he hasn't apologised, that's upto him, if he's happy with his position on the matter

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 121

Bit of a difference between the comedian telling you once or twice to f off from the stage and the whole audience chanting 'Get out' at you. People get caught up in the moment though and do things in a crowd they wouldn't normally do. If it had been done to a Palestinian supporter by a different audience/crowd it would also be wrong.

Sure, you might see it. But being singled out because you've got big tits with the comedian making groping suggestions with the entire crowd laughing, including other women and then look at society as a whole? I suppose you know what you're getting yourself into with such people that you pay to see. I don't see the comedic value but I guess others do. Alas, I was not there and so can not really grab the mood of the venue.

D

Deleted member 121

Are you SURE you want to test this theory?
To be clear, I'm not sure I'm "outraged" by Currie's behaviour - I'd need a lot more skin in the game. More like "that is bang out of order". Do you still want my opinion on Chubby Brown?

There sure as hell are a lot of people out there outraged, many rags with there comments section are full if it. The same rags that support others which I have mentioned. The world is a hypocritical place afterall, with people unable to remove themselves from the partizan mind-set of left and right which seems to plague them so it is refreshing to see the occasional break from that tradition.

Last edited by a moderator:

matticus

Guru
There sure as hell are a lot of people out there outraged, many rags with there comments section are full if it. The same rags that support others which I have mentioned. The world is a hypocritical place afterall, with people unable to remove themselves from the partizan mind-set of left and right which seems to plague them so it is refreshing to see the occasional break from that tradition.

You're being a bit vague here, but that's no crime, so I'm going to cautiously agree with you!

OP
OP
Beebo

Beebo

Veteran
The Speaker of the House lets Starmer off the hook

Tory and SNP anger as speaker allows Labour’s amendment on Gaza ceasefire vote – UK politics live https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2024/feb/21/kemi-badenoch-post-office-scandal-rishi-sunak-keir-starmer-pmqs-uk-politics-live?page=with:block-65d5fafc8f089d88380e7fec#block-65d5fafc8f089d88380e7fec

Well that was totally pathetic from all three parties.
The SNP laid a trap for Labour
Labour brought an amendment which the speaker allowed.
Then the conservatives pulled the rug from under the whole process.

Embarrassing for all concerned. Quite why they all have to play silly games instead of just voting on amendments is beyond me.

C R

Über Member

Embarrassing for all concerned. Quite why they all have to play silly games instead of just voting on amendments is beyond me.

I can't see that the SNP did anything wrong here.

What did the SNP do wrong?

Starmer demanded that their MPs vote against the SNP motion because it had the term 'Collective Punishment' in it.

The SNP didn't lay any trap at all. It was an almighty f)&$ up by the Speaker.

multitool

What did the SNP do wrong?
This is the second time the SNP has called for a vote for a ceasefire.

The first time it happened the consensus of the commentariat was also that they were doing it to provoke trouble for Labour, for their own domestic advantage, knowing that there is a split between Starmer and the ranks on Israel.

Given the general modus operandi of the SNP in Westminster, this seems likely.

Either way, it was a tactical loss for SNP this time being gazumped by Labour to be the first party to get a vote for a ceasefire, and a win for Starmer.

Unfortunately the whole vote is now overshadowed as more about political point-scoting than about human lives.

Last edited:
This is the second time the SNP has called for a vote for a ceasefire.

The first time it happened the consensus of the commentariat was also that they were doing it to provoke trouble for Labour, for their own domestic advantage, knowing that there is a split between Starmer and the ranks on Israel.

Given the general modus operandi of the SNP in Westminster, this seems likely.

Either way, it was a tactical loss for SNP being gazumped by Labour to be the first party to get a vote for a ceasefire, and a win for Starmer.

That couldn’t be more wrong if you tried.

The SNP have been calling for a ceasefire as it’s the right thing to do. Starmer’s only supporting it now as he’s losing voters, and councillors, over it.

Yesterday, Starmer ordered his MPs to vote against it as it included the term ‘Collective Punishment.’ Then he gets the ceasefire motion in despite earlier telling people not to vote for it.

It’s an almighty mess not helped by the Speaker.

I still fail to see what the SNP have done wrong.

multitool

That couldn’t be more wrong if you tried.

Naturally I disagree

The SNP have been calling for a ceasefire as it’s the right thing to do.

Lol. The SNP are only in Westminster to showboat. Have you not noticed?

And in this case, the reason is:

https://www.ipsos.com/en-uk/snp-still-lead-scotland-labour-are-narrowing-gap

Starmer’s only supporting it now as he’s losing voters, and councillors, over it.

There's more far more too it than that. He's not losing voters over it. Voters dont really care. If they did it would be reflected in the polls.

If you look really carefully ( ie bother to look at the wider picture at all) you'll see that Starmer recently had meetings with a whole number of key foreign ministers at the Munich security conference. He is PM-in-waiting, is behaving as and being treated as such. His line on the ceasefire is changing in line with other key NATO allies. Their language is changing...look at Biden's for example. It's heavily critical of Israel. This is new.

Starmer's stance isn't about how it goes down in UK, it is about Starmer preparing for Prime Ministership in the context of the wider world.

The vote, however, was purely about domestic politics.

Yesterday, Starmer ordered his MPs to vote against it as it included the term ‘Collective Punishment.’ Then he gets the ceasefire motion in despite earlier telling people not to vote for it.

He got what he wanted, then, didn't he. Win.
It’s an almighty mess not helped by the Speaker.

Yes. And the reason it is a mess is because it was all about petty point-scoring in the run up to a GE.

I still fail to see what the SNP have done wrong.

See the above. It was a cynical point-scoring attempt by the SNP because they are worried about polls showing Labour is catching up with them.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Beebo

Beebo

Veteran
The SNP could have behaved with far more grace and accepted the speakers decision.
They were going to vote for the Labour motion anyway.
It all just descended into a shouting match which the Government then took advantage of by running home with the ball.
I’m happy to blame everyone for this mess.

Naturally I disagree

Lol. The SNP are only in Westminster to showboat. Have you not noticed?

And in this case, the reason is:

https://www.ipsos.com/en-uk/snp-still-lead-scotland-labour-are-narrowing-gap

There's more far more too it than that. He's not losing voters over it. Voters dont really care. If they did it would be reflected in the polls.

If you look really carefully ( ie bother to look at the wider picture at all) you'll see that Starmer recently had meetings with a whole number of key foreign ministers at the Munich security conference. He is PM-in-waiting, is behaving as and being treated as such. His line on the ceasefire is changing in line with other key NATO allies. Their language is changing...look at Biden's for example. It's heavily critical of Israel. This is new.

Starmer's stance isn't about how it goes down in UK, it is about Starmer preparing for Prime Ministership in the context of the wider world.

The vote, however, was purely about domestic politics.

He got what he wanted, then, didn't he. Win.

Yes. And the reason it is a mess is because it was all about petty point-scoring in the run up to a GE.

See the above. It was a cynical point-scoring attempt by the SNP because they are worried about polls showing Labour is catching up with them.

He shouldn't need to be forced into supporting a ceasefire because of him losing votes and councillors. He should've supported it from the start as it's the right thing to do.

As far as the last point is concerned, where's the evidence?

From today's The National.

After spending the weekend pretending that they were cooperating with the SNP, to changing their position on how they would vote multiple times in one day, to tabling their own amendment in an attempt to weaken it’s entire premise, to then supposedly blackmailing the speaker into breaking Parliamentary precedent so that Starmer could save himself the embarrassment of a mass rebellion. It seems that to Labour, the people of Palestine are nothing other than collateral damage in their mission to win the election.

and...

As David Lammy himself let slip on Sky News, being seen to vote with the SNP in an election year was the real crux of the issue for them. It wasn’t about the almost 30,000 dead Palestinians that have perished with help from their support. We knew as much anyway, given that it has taken them four months and 60% of Gaza to be turned to rubble before they even bothered to call for a ceasefire, but the politicking has really never been uglier than it has been this week.

Remind me again how this is the SNPs fault?

Here's the full article if anyone's interested.

https://www.thenational.scot/politics/24135785.keir-starmers-politicking-children-die-sickening/

Last edited:
Top Bottom