Israel / Palestine

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

multitool

Didn't last did it?

Hello Bottom-feeder.

I see that your post is entirely consistent with your usual standard, nothing to do with the issue at hand, and entirely designed to provoke.

If you look really carefully you'll see that I am still out. I'm no longer debating the topic with CM. He made a personal accusation, so I defended myself.

Not that it is any of your business.

It's not a flounce.

I just can't be bothered arguing with a teenager.

No, you just don’t like people disagreeing with your Starmer fanboying.

Liebour have 17 opposition motion days compared to the SNPs 3. Why didn’t the Red Tories use one of theirs to put their ideas through? Why hijack the SNPs? Why have Liebour got such an issue with the term ‘Collective Punishment?’

Why is this the fault of the SNP?

This whole mess had nothing to do with Gaza and everything to do with Starmer saving his own ass.

Last edited:

multitool

No, you just don’t like people disagreeing with your Starmer fanboying.

Liebour have 17 opposition motion days compared to the SNPs 3. Why didn’t the Red Tories use one of theirs to put their ideas through? Why hijack the SNPs? Why have Liebour got such an issue with the term ‘Collective Punishment?’

This whole mess had nothing to do with Gaza and everything to do with Starmer saving his own ass.

I did say I couldn't be arsed, but you still don't get it do you.

Labour would not have put down a motion. They hoped to avoid it because it put them in a place they didn't want to be. You don't understand where that place is so I'll explain.

It's the awkward interface between reflecting Labour's tradition on this issue, and Starmer having to (or about to) sit amongst Western leaders, including the US) and behave in a way that is cohesive and not divisive, especially in the face of issues that really matter to European security (ie Russia and China).

The SNP know this. They also know that they are bleeding votes to Labour. They know that after the fraud allegations and the loss of their main electoral asset they are in deep shît. So they are looking to hit Labour. They know that proposing a motion on Gaza would likely cause some sort of split in Labour and make Starmer look weak. They aren't doing this because they think it will materially help the Gazans, they know it won't, they are doing it for pure domestic political gain.

Labour know this. In fact everyone except you know this. Starmer found a way to hijack the SNP motion to remove the threat. You don't like the way it was done, but you don't seem to understand that wheeling and dealing in parliamentary politics is the norm. Blackmail of one kind or another is the norm. Its what the Whips use to keep errant MPs in line with a mixture or threats and bribes.

We don't actually know what Starmer said to Hoyle. Hoyle's line about threats to MPs safety doesn't make sense because if he was talking about threats from pro-Palestine lobby then they had nothing to gain by acceptance of Labour's amendment. Maybe Starmer did make Hoyle an offer he couldn't refuse. We will probably never know, just as we rarely find out about the real power manoeuvres in government.

Using language like "Starmer fanboying" is just pathetic. As is little pet names like "Red Tories". It shows your level of debate.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 159

I did say I couldn't be arsed, but you still don't get it do you.

Labour would not have put down a motion. They hoped to avoid it because it put them in a place they didn't want to be. You don't understand where that place is so I'll explain.

It's the awkward interface between reflecting Labour's tradition on this issue, and Starmer having to (or about to) sit amongst Western leaders, including the US) and behave in a way that is cohesive and not divisive, especially in the face of issues that really matter to European security (ie Russia and China).

The SNP know this. They also know that they are bleeding votes to Labour. They know that after the fraud allegations and the loss of their main electoral asset they are in deep shît. So they are looking to hit Labour. They know that proposing a motion on Gaza would likely cause some sort of split in Labour and make Starmer look weak. They aren't doing this because they think it will materially help the Gazans, they know it won't, they are doing it for pure domestic political gain.

Labour know this. In fact everyone except you know this. Starmer found a way to hijack the SNP motion to remove the threat. You don't like the way it was done, but you don't seem to understand that wheeling and dealing in parliamentary politics is the norm. Blackmail of one kind or another is the norm. Its what the Whips use to keep errant MPs in line with a mixture or threats and bribes.

We don't actually know what Starmer said to Hoyle. Hoyle's line about threats to MPs safety doesn't make sense because if he was talking about threats from pro-Palestine lobby then they had nothing to gain by acceptance of Labour's amendment. Maybe Starmer did make Hoyle an offer he couldn't refuse. We will probably never know, just as we rarely find out about the real power manoeuvres in government.

Using language like "Starmer fanboying" is just pathetic. As is little pet names like "Red Tories". It shows your level of debate.

I don't think I spotted a directed expletive in that whole post

1000010515.gif

multitool

Ehud Olmert is saying that the intention is, effectively, a genocide.

But what would he know. He's only a former Israeli PM.

https://www.haaretz.com/opinion/202...onal-war/0000018d-d237-d06c-abbd-daf733870000

Ian H

Legendary Member

Here's the BBC report for more detail. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-68398479

...It is not the first time someone has self-immolated in front of an Israeli diplomatic mission in the US.
In December, a protester set themselves on fire in front of the Israeli consulate in the US state of Georgia.
Police said the demonstrator used petrol, and a Palestinian flag was found at the scene on that occasion.

AndyRM

Elder Goth
A genuine question: in the unlikely event someone managed to survive self immolation, would they be liable to be prosecuted? It seems unlikely, but given in this case he's part of the military it made me wonder.

icowden

Legendary Member
Have to agree with @multitool on this one. You also seemingly miss the point that this was literally a group of politicians using a very serious problem to score points with. No one actually gives a toss what the outcome of the motion was. The SNP used it for political gameplaying, not because they are bothered one way or another about either Israel or Palestine or what is happening there.

They need to grow up and stop fannying about with "is it a ceasefire or a pause, or a "don't shoot anyone Friday" ". Hamas shouldn't have murdered a huge group of Israelis and Israel should not be massacring Palestinians in response. It's going to continue though until Netanyahu has killed or displaced every Palestinian in the pretence of protecting Israel.

glasgowcyclist

Über Member
not because they are bothered one way or another about either Israel or Palestine or what is happening there.

I think you are being unfair to the SNP with that. The First Minister’s in-laws were trapped in Gaza at the start of the war and his wife still has family members suffering there. Aside from the familial connection, the party has been consistent in its support for an end to the violence.

Edit: Forgot to add this link for reference
View: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-scotland-67083153

Last edited:
Top Bottom