Israel / Palestine

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
Possible ceasefire from Monday with exchange of prisoners for hostages.

https://www.reuters.com/world/middl...s-ramadan-hamas-mulls-draft-truce-2024-02-27/

At this point you've got to agree with the last paragraph, any pause in hostilities is welcome. It's worth noting that even at a ratio of 10:1 the prisoner exchange is disproportionately in Israel's favour.

Jon Stewart's take on the Israel/Hamas conflict. The most sensible analysis yet.

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2zbN3AuHG8

Is it me or is Jon Stewart getting more Jewish in his old age?

At this point you've got to agree with the last paragraph, any pause in hostilities is welcome. It's worth noting that even at a ratio of 10:1 the prisoner exchange is disproportionately in Israel's favour.

Is it me or is Jon Stewart getting more Jewish in his old age?
Agreed but a full ceasefire with a two state solution, with a DMZ secured by troops from the Arab League, is the only way forward.

The Palestinian genocide stops, Palestine and Israel live in peace and we have the 2 state solution.

Depends what "done" means.

The issue for Israel is that Egypt do not seem willing to open the gates. If they did, Israel would bomb the Palestinians across the border.

Israel may want to confine the entire population to a new refugee camp in Rafah, thereby creating the possibility of a buffer zone between the Palestinians and the Israeli border.
It seems unlikely that they will allow them back to Gaza City.

The only certainty is that not only will they not destroy Hamas, but they have created the conditions for greater grievances and the possibility of something worse. They have likely alienated a significant portion of the rest of the world in the process as well.

Egypt have a poor history with Hamas hence their reluctance to open the Rafah Crossing and let refugees in.

Some have been charged with offences, found guilty, and imprisoned, others were randomly kidnapped during a spree of murder and rape. That's not to say all those held by the Israeli authorities were fairly imprisoned, or that some aren't wrongly being held without trial, but it's really not the same as a mass kidnapping.

theclaud

Reading around the chip
Some have been charged with offences, found guilty, and imprisoned, others were randomly kidnapped during a spree of murder and rape. That's not to say all those held by the Israeli authorities were fairly imprisoned, or that some aren't wrongly being held without trial, but it's really not the same as a mass kidnapping.

Yes, it is. Palestinians (including minors) are under occupation, are at perpetual risk of arbitrary detention by the occupying power and are routinely subjected to humiliation, sexual violence, brutality and torture. There is no such thing as 'fairly imprisoned' under an occupier who acts with impunity. What you appear to mean is that you value Israeli lives and human rights over those of Palestinians, and therefore regard crimes against the former as more serious. I get that the surprise, guerilla nature of the 7 Oct attacks caused shock, but I don't get why being brutalised suddenly and unexpectedly is supposed to be worse than living with the likelihood of it happening at any moment.

C R

Über Member
Yes, it is. Palestinians (including minors) are under occupation, are at perpetual risk of arbitrary detention by the occupying power and are routinely subjected to humiliation, sexual violence, brutality and torture. There is no such thing as 'fairly imprisoned' under an occupier who acts with impunity. What you appear to mean is that you value Israeli lives and human rights over those of Palestinians, and therefore regard crimes against the former as more serious. I get that the surprise, guerilla nature of the 7 Oct attacks caused shock, but I don't get why being brutalised suddenly and unexpectedly is supposed to be worse than living with the likelihood of it happening at any moment.

I listened to a Norwegian envoy describing the situation in Rafah in Radio 4 this afternoon. Sounds very much like accounts of the conditions in the ghettos in Eastern Europe during nazi occupation, but of course, any parallel being drawn would be anti semitic, wouldn't it.

I don't value the lives of Israelis over Palestinians. I don't see how the events of October 7th did much for those Palestinians living under the shadow of possible brutalisation though. Let's hope the ceasefire and exchange goes through.

Top Bottom