Israel / Palestine

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milzy

I know the concept might be difficult for you to understand but it is possible to support a cause without supporting the actions taken in furtherance of it.

I stand with Palestine.

AndyRM

Elder Goth
I stand with Palestine.

Hard to disagree. The whole situation there is FUBAR to be honest.

I found it interesting that a commentator was likening this to Pearl Harbour and 9/11 on the radio earlier. Says a lot about where loyalties lie. Obviously that was one comment, from one person, but still an interesting choice of language.

Don't condone the actions of either side in this frankly depressing conflict. It must be one of the longest running and largest scale international f*ck ups in modern times.

C R

Über Member
Hard to disagree. The whole situation there is FUBAR to be honest.

I found it interesting that a commentator was likening this to Pearl Harbour and 9/11 on the radio earlier. Says a lot about where loyalties lie. Obviously that was one comment, from one person, but still an interesting choice of language.

Don't condone the actions of either side in this frankly depressing conflict. It must be one of the longest running and largest scale international f*ck ups in modern times.

Usually the Palestinians kill a couple of Israeli (white) people or damage a few Israeli (white people's) houses, and Israel follow with the destruction of several hundred Palestinian (brown people's) houses, most of which still contain said brown people when the destruction happens.

This time the Palestinians managed to destroy a large number of Israeli (white people's) properties which still contained said white people when the destruction happened.

It is the reversal of the natural order that brought the 11th of September comparison.

Last edited:

C R

Über Member
P Z Myers has a reasonably even handed summary of the situation.

https://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/2023/10/08/can-somebody-explain-this-to-me/

Regarding my use of brown and white in my previous post. Jews are, from a genetic point of view, arab, though not culturally arabic. However, there's the perception that Jews are white and "Arabs" are brown. There's also the perception that Palestinians are muslims, when between 5 and 10 percent of the Palestinians are christian (this includes the Palestinian diaspora).

These perceptions help Israel shape the optics of the conflict as seen in the west.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
Usually the Palestinians kill a couple of Israeli (white) people or damage a few Israeli (white people's) houses, and Israel follow with the destruction of several hundred Palestinian (brown people's) houses, most of which still contain said brown people when the destruction happens.

This time the Palestinians managed to destroy a large number of Israeli (white people's) properties which still contained said white people when the destruction happened.

It is the reversal of the natural order that brought the 11th of September comparison.

Point of order. The 200 plus (mostly White, Jewish) people killed at a music festival were not in their properties, nor were the many people who were shot down in the streets.

There is absolutely no sense or justification to the killings that have gone on in Palestine and Israel this past century and this latest shitshow continues the sad story.

Milzy

I agree with AndyRM but here’s a meme.
IMG_2934.jpeg

It is merely cohencidental to the citizenship to which every owner and corporate head belongs. Wars within wars.

AndyRM

Elder Goth
I agree with AndyRM but here’s a meme.
View attachment 4711
It is merely cohencidental to the citizenship to which every owner and corporate head belongs. Wars within wars.

Not a meme that makes a great deal of sense considering how much aid the US provided for Ukraine though.

AndyRM

Elder Goth
I think the point of the meme is that the US is being pulled away from full support for Ukraine by the scale of the conflict in Palestine.

True. Remains to be seen though given how fresh this current development is.

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member

Surely it's also the nature of the atrocities. It wasn't just rockets, it was rapes and kidnappings, machine gunning of teenagers fleeing a peace festival, the seeking out of families and shooting of babies and children. I think suggesting the Israelis are simply getting a taste of their own medicine is rather callous. I don't think the victims deserved it, and I don't think the Palestinian victims of Israeli policy deserve it either but an attitude of 'Both sides tho'' to war crimes of this nature, on this scale, seems heartless.

C R

Über Member
Surely it's also the nature of the atrocities. It wasn't just rockets, it was rapes and kidnappings, machine gunning of teenagers fleeing a peace festival, the seeking out of families and shooting of babies and children. I think suggesting the Israelis are simply getting a taste of their own medicine is rather callous. I don't think the victims deserved it, and I don't think the Palestinian victims of Israeli policy deserve it either but an attitude of 'Both sides tho'' to war crimes of this nature, on this scale, seems heartless.

Did I say that I agreed with what Hamas had done?

Top Bottom