Lee Anderson is 'very angry' - a thread for all Lee Anderson's ire....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
It’s clearly a generalisation.

The point being you would normally expect the opposite.

Understood. I was joking.

Historically, the area has been neglected by both parties. Labour didn’t need to try, and, the Conservatives knew there was point, even if they gave us gold plated pit-heaps, we still wouldn’t vote for them.

Devolution just made things worse, since any “leveling up”/bribes went to win/maintain votes in Scotland and/or Wales.

Times are changing. The generations who remember “the good old days” of heavy industry are dying out, the younger generation don’t even remember all that stuff, and, have different aspirations.

AndyRM

Elder Goth
This is the North East. We don’t have a “conservative vote”!

I suspect it is unlikely that Reform, or anyone else will overturn the huge Labour majority in this area, at the next GE. However, at a local council level, Labour are becoming a “bit wobbly”.

Eh? There are plenty of Conservative MPs and politicians around here. They've been making ground since the Lib Dems made an arse of themselves.

BoldonLad

Eh? There are plenty of Conservative MPs and politicians around here. They've been making ground since the Lib Dems made an arse of themselves.

You live on the “posh” side of the water 😀

I am talking about South side of the Tyne, and Wearside.

Last edited:

icowden

Legendary Member
You what?
Not economically or by the standards of the time she wasn't.
Wiki suggests that Thatcherism could be compared to classical liberalism. That's pretty centrist.
Thatcherism attempts to promote low inflation, the small state and free markets through tight control of the money supply, privatisation and constraints on the labour movement. It is often compared with Reaganomics in the United States, economic rationalism in Australia and Rogernomics in New Zealand and as a key part of the worldwide economic liberal movement.

Thatcherism is thus often compared to classical liberalism. Milton Friedman said that "Margaret Thatcher is not in terms of belief a Tory. She is a nineteenth-century Liberal".[10] Thatcher herself stated during a speech in 1983: "I would not mind betting that if Mr Gladstone were alive today he would apply to join the Conservative Party".[11] In the 1996 Keith Joseph memorial lecture, Thatcher argued: "The kind of Conservatism which he and I [...] favoured would be best described as 'liberal', in the old-fashioned sense. And I mean the liberalism of Mr Gladstone, not of the latter day collectivists".[12] Thatcher once told Friedrich Hayek: "I know you want me to become a Whig; no, I am a Tory". Hayek believed "she has felt this very clearly".[13] The relationship between Thatcherism and liberalism is complicated. Thatcher's former defence secretary John Nott claimed that "it is a complete misreading of her beliefs to depict her as a nineteenth-century Liberal".[14]
She was very pro-europe until she descended into madness at the end of her reign as she became more right wing.

BoldonLad

I currently live in Simonside.

The councillor for East Boldon is still the Conservative Stan Wildhirt, no?

Where I lived, age 4 - 11 ;)

I thought from your posts, you lived on the North side, North Shields, Tynemouth or even Wallsend.

I think there is only one Conservative, Cleadon and East Boldon, Ian Foster. For many years, it was a chap called Milburn, but, he fell foul in some way, can't remember what.

Ian H

Guru
Wiki suggests that Thatcherism could be compared to classical liberalism. That's pretty centrist.

She was very pro-europe until she descended into madness at the end of her reign as she became more right wing.

Classical liberalism means unfettered free market economy, and minimal state intervention. It's not remotely centrist.

AndyRM

Elder Goth
Where I lived, age 4 - 11 ;)

I thought from your posts, you lived on the North side, North Shields, Tynemouth or even Wallsend.

I think there is only one Conservative, Cleadon and East Boldon, Ian Foster. For many years, it was a chap called Milburn, but, he fell foul in some way, can't remember what.

I'm a bit of a nomad... Never Tynemouth though, waaaay too fancy and full of Nimby's.

It's going to be interesting to see what happens in the South Shields by-elections. A lot of folk are mighty p!ssed off with the recent bin fiasco so I could see things changing, maybe.

BoldonLad

I'm a bit of a nomad... Never Tynemouth though, waaaay too fancy and full of Nimby's.

It's going to be interesting to see what happens in the South Shields by-elections. A lot of folk are mighty p!ssed off with the recent bin fiasco so I could see things changing, maybe.

Yes, I have heard lots of rumblings of discontent. I think the odd head might roll, but, I can’t see Labour losing control of the Council.

AndyRM

Elder Goth
Yes, I have heard lots of rumblings of discontent. I think the odd head might roll, but, I can’t see Labour losing control of the Council.

Yeah, probably not, but they seriously need a wake-up call. There's so much conflicting news about the reasons for the bin strikes and their "solutions" really haven't been up to much.

icowden

Legendary Member
If you assume the post war consensus to be centrist then it's difficult to see 1979 as anything other than a lurch to the right.
That's a fair point, but after a lurch to the right, we were still broadly in the middle. We've now gone so far right our faces are crushed against the wall...

Top Bottom