Local Elections May 2024

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
BoldonLad

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
I noticed Ben Houchen for relelected as Tory mayor. Unsurprising.

It did no harm to have massive billboards near the old Redcar British Steelworks proclaiming investment successes.
The Keith Houchen connection did no harm either, and likely what got him into prominence.

Whilst driving through Teesside, on A19, a couple of days ago, I noticed a lot of wagons (the type which would be used in scrap removal, earth removal etc), were sporting "Vote for Ben Houchen" stickers, I didn't think to note the Company Name on the cabs, but, I am sure it would not be linked to the two local "business men", who are taking such enormous risks, with public money, to secure Teesside's future ;)

albion

Guru
I saw the poster cycling to Saltburn, just a couple of days ago. Here is some more stuff with that scrap connection.
https://northeastbylines.co.uk/ben-houchen-rummaging-in-the-dirty-tricks-box/
A forced conscription, of sorts.
'A skilful move after the Commons Business and Trade Committee has requested a National Audit Office investigation into the use of public funds at Teesside Freeport, of which the Teesworks site is the hub.'

Scap for millions.

And this is what the poster was likely for. (BP possibly beside/near the Steelworks.)
https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money...ve-turn-Teesside-green-energy-powerhouse.html

Last edited:

icowden

Legendary Member
I saw the poster cycling to Saltburn, just a couple of days ago. Here is some more stuff with that scrap connection.
And the full skinny is of course here:-
https://www.private-eye.co.uk/news

The Eye has been reporting on the corrupt goings on of Ben Houchen and his mates for ages now. Houchen does a lot for the local community as long as it's his mates who are now multimillionaires after investing at least £1 of their own money.

albion

Guru
Must be the steelworks then. I only got thinking about it a few miles after cycling past. The poster was ginormous, it celebrating I think 'billion in Teeside investment for a capture/lowering process'.

Most news about him passed me by, as it did for his voters.

OP
OP
BoldonLad

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Must be the steelworks then. I only got thinking about it a few miles after cycling past. The poster was ginormous, it celebrating I think 'billion in Teeside investment for a capture/lowering process'.

Most news about him passed me by, as it did for his voters.

PE has been reporting on it for quite some time. It began as the reclamation of the Steel Works site, and development of the Freeport. However, so much public money has now gushed into certain hands that it is spreading further, latest is attempts to hold the existing Port operator to ransom, and, the proposed electric steel furnace, via a private electricity supply system.

albion

Guru
Just looking at his wiki.
'In 2023, Houchen was criticised after it emerged that a 90 per cent stake in the company that operates the vacant Redcar Steelworks site, teesworks, was transferred to two local developers, Chris Musgrave and Martin Corney, without any public tender process.[36] It also emerged that the private developers have received at least £45m in dividends and hold £63m cash from the project despite not having invested any direct cash in the project themselves.[36][37][38]'

Methinks the poster was designed to deflect from the stink.

ebikeerwidnes

result in round here

to the shock of absolutely nobody Labour are still in charge of the counsel
Labout gained one set and the Tories lost one - Lib dems stayed the same on 3

a lot of seats didn;t even have a Tory standing
although one did and only got 30 votes when the Labour guy got about 2000 - so he might as well not have bothered!

A couple fo Reform people stood - one got a reasonable number of votes - but there was no Tory standing so maybe that helped them

our ward was just Labout and Tory - Labout won by a country miles as expected
we didn;t even get a leaflet from the Tories and I think she lives in Southport which is miles away!!

quite funny really as I go past the Conservative HQ quite often and I have never seen a single person going in or out!!!

Mike_P

York & N Yorks vote in a Labour mayor which is quite hilarious given how blue with the odd red bit the map usually is. Could be a lot of voters read what the candidates wanted to do and decided the Tory was barking wanting to totally waste his budget on buying a hotel and making all car parking free.

albion

Guru
With 30% turnout, Labour thus won with 12 or 13% of the possible number of voters.
And 30% was a 'high turnout'.

multitool

I dunno, it could prove the veracity of this silent majority which is often mentioned on here.

Current citer of "the silent majority" is AndyCRX.

I think the political party with whom his views are most aligned is Reform.

They have won zero seats.

Top Bottom