Local Elections May 2024

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

multitool

Shaman
We have to play the hand we're dealt.

Well, if discretion was not part of the dealt hand, I suppose so.

It's a shame you don't live up to the standards you expect of others.

Still, dealt hand and all that.

I think Labour have been very cautious over what they say on trade or other relations with the EU becuase, at least in the Johnson era, they were vulnerable to accusations that 'that posh lawyer wants to steal your brexit' playing well in the red wall.

It may have lost its potency more recently but caution is still king.

multitool

Shaman
Why on earth would Labour open up old wounds when they can just sit and watch the Conservative Party implode in front of our eyes instead?

They want the noise to about how awful the Tories are, not about 'Brexit betrayal', 'will of the people' and all that shìte from 2016-20.

The clamour for rejoin is not yet happening. It will come, but it isn't here yet.

fozy tornip

fozympotent
Brexit isn't an old wound; it's a haemorrhaging in the continuous present.
I'm failing to winnow anything substantive (having or displaying significant importance, value, validity, solidity, independence) from your thicket of tautologies. Brexit is utterly discredited (among those for whom it is discredited)?

Image of That's your theory?

Reactions: C R

multitool

Shaman
I'm failing to winnow anything substantive (having or displaying significant importance, value, validity, solidity, independence)

Yep. You certainly are.

What a life. Spending your day following the Tool round trying to dry hump his leg.

Last edited:

icowden

Legendary Member
So you agree that the far right have shaped the debate on brexit in such a way that they've won, despite being only a marginal part of the political spectrum.

To be fair to @multitool (who'd have thought I'd be writing that eh?), my interpretation of what he was saying is that Labour are avoiding things like Brexit with a telescopic barge pole for now, as they don't want to create any division prior to an election.

After the election might be (hopefully will be) a different kettle of fish. They have 4 and a bit years to change things, and any sane Government would be looking to remove the Tory erected trade barriers and restore some participation with Europe particularly around freedom of movement and participation in EU programmes. I don't think there will be a "re-join the EU" but I do think that they might start to work on softening the Brexit.

Similarly if I were them I'd be looking at some of the areas that don't work and which would be widely supported such as renationalisation of the railways. No-one thinks that the current system works.

icowden

Legendary Member
Braverman has been blathering on forever. In the week before the election the government triumphantly paraded the first (bogus) despatch of someone to Rwanda. And yet, look at the polling result. The most extreme party (Reform) won zero seats IN SPITE OF incessant platforming of Tice.
According to the beeb they actually have two whole councillors now, up from zero. I mean - it's still not the most resounding endorsement. Their main effect seems to have been ensuring that Tory candidates lost.

multitool

Shaman
Their main effect seems to have been ensuring that Tory candidates lost.

A small effect, I believe. The big winners were Greens, LDs and Labour.

Of course if they have been sucking Tory votes up and only winning two seats then it's all good

OP
OP
BoldonLad

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
According to the beeb they actually have two whole councillors now, up from zero. I mean - it's still not the most resounding endorsement. Their main effect seems to have been ensuring that Tory candidates lost.

So, not without some merit.

How different may it have looked with PR, instead of FPTP?

Top Bottom