Local Elections May 2024

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It's amazing isn't it. It's essentially "Captain, we've taken significant damage to the left side of the ship on that ice shelf. I think we need to steer directly into the iceberg now. It's the only sensible option".

It's exactly this which is so disheartening. Despite all evidence to the contrary, they still believe they know what people want - more of the same and double portions to boot. What the hell is feeding this mentality?
One thing I hope is true, and that is that history will not look kindly on these swivel-eyed loons

multitool

Last time I checked we were still out of the EU and no one in the mainstream dares talk about improving relations with the EU, let alone rejoin. I would say that's a resounding success in terms of controlling the political debate.

I wouldn't.

I'd say it's political expediency in the run up to a GE. The Tories don't want to talk about it because it's the biggest political disaster of two generations. See also where the arch Brexiters are now. Heard from über-chode Mark François recently? What about Rees-Mogg? Or Steve 'Hard Man of Brexit' Baker?

Labour don't want to talk about it because not only do they not need to, but they don't want their message at this point to be re-fighting the Brexit debate. Nobody wants to. It split families, friends and political parties.

fozy tornip

fozympotent
Labour don't want to talk about it because not only do they not need to, but they don't want their message at this point to be re-fighting the Brexit debate. Nobody wants to. It split families, friends and political parties.

Utterly discredited and in effect and too hot to re-fight. Jeez.
Do you see yonder cloud that's almost in the shape of a camel, backed like a weasel and very like a whale?

multitool

Those are your words, not mine.

It is discredited in the eyes of those who voted against it, and some of those who did. But amongst those who did, opinion is split between a few who regret their choice, and those who think there was a possible beneficial Brexit, but for the incompetence of politicians.

Too hot? Not what I said. I'd say 5+ years of toxicity has worn people out and they've other things they want to talk about, like healthcare, cost of living, and the immigration.

Immigration is indicative of this. Brexit gets barely a mention in the current immigration debate, which is surprising since it was punted as the panacea.

Labour are circumnavigating perilous issues because they see them as lighting rods. They are ahead in the polls, and those who opposed Brexit are likely to vote for them anyway. They won't win back the Red Wall by promising to rejoin.

After the election, but not immediately, will be when both political parties start making noises about closer moves to the EU.

If you've a different theory, by all means post it.

Last edited:

C R

Über Member
Those are your words, not mine.

It is discredited in the eyes of those who voted against it, and some of those who did. But amongst those who did, opinion is split between a few who regret their choice, and those who think there was a possible beneficial Brexit, but for the incompetence of politicians.

Too hot? Not what I said. I'd say 5+ years of toxicity has worn people out and they've other things they want to talk about, like healthcare, cost of living, and the immigration.

Immigration is indicative of this. Brexit gets barely a mention in the current immigration debate, which is surprising since it was punted as the panacea.

Labour are circumnavigating perilous issues because they see them as lighting rods. They are ahead in the polls, and those who opposed Brexit are likely to vote for them anyway. They won't win back the Red Wall by promising to rejoin.

After the election, but not immediately, will be when both political parties start making noises about closer moves to the EU.

If you've a different theory, by all means post it.

So you agree that the far right have shaped the debate on brexit in such a way that they've won, despite being only a marginal part of the political spectrum.

multitool

So you agree that the far right have shaped the debate on brexit in such a way that they've won, despite being only a marginal part of the political spectrum.

I'm not sure why you think that is my view. Perhaps you can explain where I've said that.

multitool

You've said in too posts that labour are too scared to bring up the subject of Brexit.

I did indeed. But perhaps now you can tell me how you got from that, to this:

C R

Über Member
I did indeed. But perhaps now you can tell me how you got from that, to this:

You said that the far right populist Brexit had failed, but you admit that labour is too scared to push against it.

Brexit has failed on any objective metric, but that doesn't matter in this debate. The proponents of Brexit have succeeded in making it impossible to debate, so they have won, because they've imposed their fringe view.

multitool

You said that the far right populist Brexit had failed, but you admit that labour is too scared to push against it.

I didn't call it "far right". Those are your words. Jeremy Corbyn was a Brexiter, remember.

Brexit has failed on any objective metric, but that doesn't matter in this debate. The proponents of Brexit have succeeded in making it impossible to debate, so they have won, because they've imposed their fringe view.

That is a non-sequitur, and it certainly isn't what I have said, or think.

The biggest losers here are the hard right (the far right were never really a part of this). They've lost the debate...and the election (see Reform results, and indeed the Tory results)

Nobody wants to talk about it because it's leaves a bitter taste in everyone's mouth. People find it very hard to admit error, especially if they invested themselves in arguing for it with friends and family.

Think of it as postponed business.

albion

Guru
It is sort of ironic that Rees Moģg and Farage are resposible for the slow death of the London Stock Exchange.

It went from being financial hub of Europe to just an afterthought.

Last edited:

multitool

Utterly discredited?

Methinks it is like a weasel.

Your words were "utterly discredited and too hot". Your words, not mine.

Did you have any sort of substantive point to make or are you just engaging in your usual puerile sniping from the sidelines?

Top Bottom