Martin Luther King and soup protests

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
See young woman above 👍🏼
Who doesn't get paid for what she does, is unlikely to be a high wage earner either.
But is giving up her time to draw attention to a very important cause, she's on the same side as the 'hardworking public'
its the populist press, owned and controlled by those who profit the most from the status quo being maintained, that's trying to make out that climate change protestors are 'enemies of the common people'..
Now why on earth would they be trying to do that I wonder ?? 🤔

I know you are right, and it is totally unfair, but it is the reality that is our country these days, warts and all.

theclaud

Reading around the chip
Lol. Fair enough. Will still be somebody on minimum wage cleaning it up.

It won't, actually. National Gallery is a Real Living Wage employer. Nice concern trolling.

mudsticks

Squire
I know you are right, and it is totally unfair, but it is the reality that is our country these days, warts and all.

So you personally wouldn't go along with the populists habit of automatically condemning / rubbishing someone who is trying to raise awareness, and acting for positive change.??

By doubting their motives and suggesting they're all unwashed layabouts / enemies of 'the people' / trustafarians / and or violently criminal, tofu munching yoghurt weavers ..

If you see through it, then I'm sure plenty others do too.

One good thing I've noticed over the last couple of years is how the discussion in msm has (mostly) moved on from whether CC is really happening, or whether its important enough to tackle it.

Now we're on to what needs to happen, who pays, and the pace of change necessary

Some positive news yesterday though -

https://www.commondreams.org/news/2...nt-backs-fossil-fuel-non-proliferation-treaty
It won't, actually. National Gallery is a Real Living Wage employer. Nice concern trolling.

You only went and researched that didn't you.??

Don't go telling the others the secret of how it's done 😇

Anyway, yet another day of extreme virtue based farming, rolls around :laugh:

OP
OP
matticus

matticus

Guru
The MSM show the protests a lot but often in a negative light, and devote a lot of time to the disruption caused to "the innocent public" or the "hardworking public" or the emergency services by a relatively small number of protesters.

Which is exactly what Mr King was talking about!

The people in control of public information, criticising the protestors for trivial issues around inconvenience - while ignoring the much bigger issue right under their noses.

I'm glad you're supporting this thread 👍

Rusty Nails

Country Member
Which is exactly what Mr King was talking about!

The people in control of public information, criticising the protestors for trivial issues around inconvenience - while ignoring the much bigger issue right under their noses.

I'm glad you're supporting this thread 👍

Obviously. Protests don’t gain as much publicity from being protests unless they cause disruption/controversy. That is why the media usually loves concentrating on the disruption/controversy rather than the reason for the protest. People are less interested in why someone glues their hand to a road than in the ambulance that is held up in the delay, or the angry driver dragging a protester from the road.

I am not at all bothered by or against the protests, but neither am I surprised, or even bothered by, the coverage by the MSM. Life can be sh*t whether I am vexed by it or not.

I am not sure how one can “support” a thread, unless you mean contribute to it.

OP
OP
matticus

matticus

Guru
Can we peer review before further publishing?

Indeed - the floor is yours!

[But before you kick off - note this was NOT a protest agaisnt Big Soup. I know how prickly you guys get ... ]

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member

I might be wrong but a quick Google suggests the cleaning of the National Museum (and other museums) is outsourced to DOC Cleaning Ltd. Job adverts on Indeed suggest they don't pay the Real Living Wage. Can't screenshot but here you go:

Cleaning Operative​

DOC Cleaning Limited

Job details
Salary
£11.05 an hour

I doubt the local council cleaner, or whoever is cleaning up after crap-in-a-bucket-girl in Derbyshire is getting the living wage either.

That isn't 'concern trolling'. It's acknowledging that the people who pay the immediate price for the activism you readily endorse are those who already have the least.

It would be more honest if you just said you don't care about them because the big picture is more important. 'The end justifies the means' is not an an unusual position to take.

Last edited:

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Not seen a can of 'Big Soup' for years....does it still exist?

Indeed it does, and, usually on special offer
Screenshot 2022-10-21 at 15.58.24.png

theclaud

Reading around the chip
  • Sad
Reactions: C R
Top Bottom