Maureen Lipman: Cancel culture could wipe out comedy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

deptfordmarmoset

Über Member
For this off-world colony to have a chance we need an accelerated breeding program.
Perhaps we could have a hobbies thread. We might be able to even attract the attention of some cyclists, for example.

Pale Rider

Veteran
It's been left to wither on the vine and it doubtless will.

There appears to be a limitless appetite for moaning about the Tories/Brexit.

Some withering may occur if there is a change in government, but the forum is doing its job well from Shaun's point of view.

The mods over there are presumably no longer moaning about being over worked.

Shaun will want to keep this open as a place where any new 'troublemakers' can be shunted to.

Thus this will remain as a sub board of CC, but it may in time be a not very busy one.

Who at the time didn't know a lot more.

As evidenced by the experts' short lived idea of letting Covid rip to reach herd immunity.

Still, all will become clear when I'm told what the government should have done.

There were ample near miss type events with pandemics 20+ years before Covid:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/dec/29/uk-health-chiefs-expected-imminent-pandemic-in-1997

Pandemic influenza was on pretty much every government office's risk register Even in a very small outfit this would deal with cover for key people, how to fulfil minimal statutory duties; having folks work from home etc.

It's beyond question that government crisis planning at a national level wasn't a lot more advanced.

Johnson's 'crime' was delay in March and again in November/December. Probably the same now although the signs now might be that he's got lucky because Omicron, so far, is not risking medical services being overwhelmed. Allowing New Year as a super spreader in pubs/clubs is almost unbelievable though.

It amazes me how people can be not concerned about some of the attacks on freedom (not necessarily you) being carried out by this government but see some Covid restrictions as an attack on freedom
The freedom to bang a drum at a protest or to instigate a judicial review into corruption or malpractice doesn’t matter to decent righteous people that will never do such a thing.

But tell some of them they should take steps to reduce infection at a house party or football match or workplace and you’re attacking their liberty.

There appears to be a limitless appetite for moaning about the Tories/Brexit.
Agreed, the same people who defend the EU in a similar situation, life must be easy if your so easily look the other way when it suits.

There were ample near miss type events with pandemics 20+ years before Covid:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/dec/29/uk-health-chiefs-expected-imminent-pandemic-in-1997

Pandemic influenza was on pretty much every government office's risk register Even in a very small outfit this would deal with cover for key people, how to fulfil minimal statutory duties; having folks work from home etc.
A nuclear incident is also always in the governments emergency plans, that does not take away that if it happens it will result an seemingly choasm lots of casualties etc. We became to used to not having much incidents so the healthcare has been scaled down because of that. That's the issue
It's beyond question that government crisis planning at a national level wasn't a lot more advanced.

Johnson's 'crime' was delay in March and again in November/December. Probably the same now although the signs now might be that he's got lucky because Omicron, so far, is not risking medical services being overwhelmed. Allowing New Year as a super spreader in pubs/clubs is almost unbelievable though.
Bit unfair to not credit Boris goverment for the vaccine roll-out what is for a large part contributing to the fact Omicron is failrly mild here.

Xipe Totec

Something nasty in the woodshed
Bit unfair to not credit Boris goverment for the vaccine roll-out what is for a large part contributing to the fact Omicron is failrly mild here.
Oh, go on then: they got that bit right. That one thing. That single, isolated detail. By doing exactly what any other government would have done.

Everything else - absolutely every single other thing - has been a relentless and unmitigated procession of disaster after catastrophe after calamity, garnished with weapons-grade corruption, negligence, borderline (possibly actual) criminality and utter, callous, venomous contempt for the people unfortunate to live in the absolute out-of-control skip-fire the UK has become after 11 years of Tory 'government'.

Happy now? :smile:

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
What did the government actually do, and what part of what they did would have been unlikely to have been done by an alternative administration? And how does it improve on what other countries have done wrt vaccines?

Last edited:

Mugshot

Über Member
What did the government actually do, and what part of what they did would have been unlikely to have been done by an alternative administration? And how does it improve on what other countries have done wrt vaccines?
Please see the government's vaccine roll out, and NHS track and trace.

Oh, go on then: they got that bit right. That one thing. That single, isolated detail. By doing exactly what any other government would have done.

Everything else - absolutely every single other thing - has been a relentless and unmitigated procession of disaster after catastrophe after calamity, garnished with weapons-grade corruption, negligence, borderline (possibly actual) criminality and utter, callous, venomous contempt for the people unfortunate to live in the absolute out-of-control skip-fire the UK has become after 11 years of Tory 'government'.

Happy now? :smile:

I'm just an observer, but if you mention the name ''Tony Blair'' he is often not received that positive as well. And he was labour, and the other pm from long ago promoted diesel vehicles as clean, guess all those Londoners needing to dump that vehicle now would be sooo happy.

But back to Borisland, i'm not saying Boris does everything right, party-ing while the rest of the country is told to stay home and rot is not an example of good leadership. But the vaccines, both in buying decisions, speed and speed of the rollout has been an example of a succes story so far. The Netherlands is now in lockdown again because they got this single isolated detail wrong, again. But off course they blame the unvaccinated.

The vaccine roll-out was a bold decisions in terms off countries around us said it was to early etc. but also with contracts the UK has made better deals with both pfizer and Astra zeneca compared with the EU. For so far this is public. (and no that's not because the eu's narrative off the uk ''wanting all for themselves, the eu pay's less for one az vaccine

winjim

The vaccine roll-out was a bold decisions in terms off countries around us said it was to early etc. but also with contracts the UK has made better deals with both pfizer and Astra zeneca compared with the EU. For so far this is public. (and no that's not because the eu's narrative off the uk ''wanting all for themselves, the eu pay's less for one az vaccine
I'm finding it a bit difficult to interpret what you've written. Perhaps you could give me some specific examples, maybe with some evidence? I'm not particularly interested in cost BTW. I don't consider that part of the 'roll out' and in any case when somebody's burning fifty pound notes in front of your face, you don't congratulate them for picking up a shiny penny off the floor.

winjim

Sorry to bore on before I've had a response but a couple more points about the vaccine rollout. Firstly we're still not vaccinating children under 12. I had a brief look at the government website with vaccine stats on it, and it reports vaccine uptake as 'The number of people of all ages who have received a COVID-19 vaccination, shown as a percentage of the population aged 12 and over.' (My bold), which is some disingenuous bullshit.

Secondly, and this is really really important, we are in a pandemic. This virus is everywhere. It's no use having one country doing really well with vaccines and leaving the rest of the world with scraps. From a selfish point of view I'm glad I was able to get vaccinated early, as you may know I had my hand up on day one volunteering for the trial, but we need to vaccinate everyone, everywhere. All seven billion of us. Maybe we should concentrate on first vaccines globally rather than third vaccines locally, I don't know. But the vaccine rollout isn't a success until everyone on the planet is able to access one. How is our government helping with that?

FishFright

Sorry to bore on before I've had a response but a couple more points about the vaccine rollout. Firstly we're still not vaccinating children under 12. I had a brief look at the government website with vaccine stats on it, and it reports vaccine uptake as 'The number of people of all ages who have received a COVID-19 vaccination, shown as a percentage of the population aged 12 and over.' (My bold), which is some disingenuous bullshit.

Secondly, and this is really really important, we are in a pandemic. This virus is everywhere. It's no use having one country doing really well with vaccines and leaving the rest of the world with scraps. From a selfish point of view I'm glad I was able to get vaccinated early, as you may know I had my hand up on day one volunteering for the trial, but we need to vaccinate everyone, everywhere. All seven billion of us. Maybe we should concentrate on first vaccines globally rather than third vaccines locally, I don't know. But the vaccine rollout isn't a success until everyone on the planet is able to access one. How is our government helping with that?

If we as a whole don't make sure that at every country has access to the vaccines as each variant arrives then it won't be going away anytime time soon.

Top Bottom