Maureen Lipman: Cancel culture could wipe out comedy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mudsticks

Squire
Mostly I agree with the principles of free-speech and expression
Where I'm not so comfortable is that unfettered free-speech also normalises hateful or unpleasant stereotypes and attitudes and allows them to propagate. It gives them legitamacy.

And silences those who were only just finding their voices, and daring to speak up.at all. .

matticus

Guru
I did. I used it as an example because the Jewish community are particularly vocal about the slightest slight or potential insult, which makes her opinion strange when openly suggesting that being insulting or offensive to others is acceptable.
Yes, odd that - a Jew not holding the same views as all the others!

Cirrus

Mostly I agree with the principles of free-speech and expression
Where I'm not so comfortable is that unfettered free-speech also normalises hateful or unpleasant stereotypes and attitudes and allows them to propagate. It gives them legitamacy.
Then you don't support free speech, you support the speech you feel is appropriate and are happy to listen to (echo chamber?).

As I mentioned in my post, i'd rather people expressed their views so they can be challenged rather than self suppressed for fear of criticism, abuse, loss of status (potential earnings etc). Their views aren't going to change if they are not listened to they will just feel hard done by, not understood, persecuted and resentful etc. And that, is a fertile seedbed, hunting ground, for those that want to make political gain from division a la Farage (Brexit), EDL ect ect.

deptfordmarmoset

Über Member
This ''Maureen and friends'' from a year ago was rebroadcast a couple of days ago: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000clcm.
I fell asleep before it was halfway through, though to be fair I was intending to have a rest anyway. Some may enjoy it, I found it interesting to reflect on how comedy monologues rest so very heavily upon stereotypes. It seemed far more dated than one year old.

mudsticks

Squire
Yes, odd that - a Jew not holding the same views as all the others!

I thought it was common knowledge, of comedic good taste, Jewish people can make jokes about Jewish people..
But non Jewish people don't.

Black people make jokes about black people, etc etc, etc..

When did that stop being a fairly recognised thing ??

Then you don't support free speech, you support the speech you feel is appropriate and are happy to listen to (echo chamber?).

As I mentioned in my post, i'd rather people expressed their views so they can be challenged rather than self suppressed for fear of criticism, abuse, loss of status (potential earnings etc). Their views aren't going to change if they are not listened to they will just feel hard done by, not understood, persecuted and resentful etc. And that, is a fertile seedbed, hunting ground, for those that want to make political gain from division a la Farage (Brexit), EDL ect ect.

Here's the thing, minorities, or the disadvantaged, being punched down upon with so called humour, freely dished out by the dominant group have been feeling this, since the beginning of forever.

Now they're speaking up, and objecting to being the butt of someone else's joke.

So the hitherto dominant group feel 'persecuted' for being called out for their rudeness.

Well boo hoo, they could try a little thoughtfulness perhaps??

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

Guru

Maybe I wasn't clear.
I am in favour of free speech and being able to challenge views exactly as you suggest, am just not happy, or don't like that it gives a certain legitimacy to views I find abhorrent. Better in the open than underground (know thine enemy). I don't think I would consider silencing somebody I don't approve of. One can accept something but you don't have to like or be comfortable with every aspect of it.

Ian H

Guru
Speaking up, challenging is fine, cancelling isn't, in my opinion.
Any examples of the latter?

mudsticks

Squire
Speaking up, challenging is fine, cancelling isn't, in my opinion.

Who is actually being 'cancelled' though.

In terms of not being allowed to speak at all ??

Am I 'cancelled' because I don't have weeks of bookings from the Theatre Royal??

Or is it more because that establishment probs doesn't feel that a woman mithering on about post brexit agriculture policy isn't going to fill all the seats*

Some folks seem feel they have an inalienable right to have their voices, and opinions heard above others, and get a bit crabby when they fall out of favour or fashion..

* I mean they might love it, I haven't asked Tbh 🤔

matticus

Guru
Sticking to the topic, Dame Maureen didn't actually refer to people being cancelled:

She highlighted the world of comedy, which she claims is in danger of being "wiped out" because comedians fear audiences will take offence so they tone down their material.
It's a dramatic prediction. "Something has to be forbidden to make you laugh, really belly laugh. It's when you shouldn't be laughing," she said. "All the things that have been cancelled out by being correct are, I'm afraid, all the things that make people laugh."

For the reasons covered here (and in the BBC piece) modern comedians do mostly avoid being cancelled.

mudsticks

Squire
Well a quick google came up with this list: Top 10 recent examples of cancel culture - Washington Times
But am sure you can find more e.g. I seem to recall Germain Greer being cancelled

Except fairly early on in the article it does point out that these people will find work , or an audience elsewhere doesn't it.??

We don't have to send alms just yet..

If these people are being themselves / airing their opinions for hire

And the hiree no longer requires their services, for whatever reason..

Well, thems the breaks I guess..

And the likelihood is if they're being all out edgelords they'll get a big ol' following of supposed "Tell it like it is bro" folks on the u tubes .

G G is alive and well and still writing to the best of my knowledge.

I think what many of these people have in common is they're become used to having a guaranteed audience, a little bit complacent even...

It is annoying when this is pointed out to you.

Even my son had reason to say the other day..

"Mum, your privelege is showing"

And he was right, goddarn it .

Bah - shakes fist at these upstart younguns.
:angry:

matticus

Guru
If these people are being themselves / airing their opinions for hire

And the hiree no longer requires their services, for whatever reason..
The problem comes when you lose business in an unrelated venture J.K. Rowling is not an "opinion for hire" - she's a writer.
The Sondheim example in the OP shows a theatre production being chucked due to some vague connections with a comedian on another continent.

(And of course ALL of this contributes to the echo-chamber problem. Didn't like what someone tweeted about Trans women? Well then you should ignore their views on theatre, economics, racism ... etc ... )

mudsticks

Squire
The problem comes when you lose business in an unrelated venture J.K. Rowling is not an "opinion for hire" - she's a writer.
The Sondheim example in the OP shows a theatre production being chucked due to some vague connections with a comedian on another continent.

(And of course ALL of this contributes to the echo-chamber problem. Didn't like what someone tweeted about Trans women? Well then you should ignore their views on theatre, economics, racism ... etc ... )

And i suspect HP books are still selling well enough .
I don't for the record agree with anyone threatening JKR violence - if that whats happened .

(And of course ALL of this contributes to the echo-chamber problem. Didn't like what someone tweeted about Trans women? Well then you should ignore their views on theatre, economics, racism ... etc ... ) -

- Well some people may be that limited or compartmentalised in their thinking yes - but that's not altogether uncommon.

I suspect there's even a few folks on here who will take agin something i might say - just because i said it - but there we are - humans and their biases eh ??

Top Bottom