Meat is (climate) Murder....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It's the global elephant in the room that everybody can easily influence and live with, but governments (with the exception of The Netherlands) want to tackle.
The UK Government have failed to join the dots between public health, climate change, food security and the meat industry - @mudsticks has more insights than I, but IMHO we need to have a national debate about the future of meat and dairy in the UK. We need to think and discuss Meat and Dairy in the same terms as fossil fuels and have a strategy to reduce our reliance on it.
Whilst there are 'better' ways of raising animals from an environmental perspective this is much like squeezing a few more MPG from the IC engine.

https://www.theguardian.com/environ...rgeting-meat-consumption-in-land-use-strategy

They’re frightened of gammon.

360D93F7-DF44-4E7A-8267-DD63D2EFD48F.jpeg

mudsticks

Squire
It's the global elephant in the room that everybody can easily influence and live with, but governments (with the exception of The Netherlands) want to tackle.
The UK Government have failed to join the dots between public health, climate change, food security and the meat industry - @mudsticks has more insights than I, but IMHO we need to have a national debate about the future of meat and dairy in the UK. We need to think and discuss Meat and Dairy in the same terms as fossil fuels and have a strategy to reduce our reliance on it.
Whilst there are 'better' ways of raising animals from an environmental perspective this is much like squeezing a few more MPG from the IC engine.

https://www.theguardian.com/environ...rgeting-meat-consumption-in-land-use-strategy

It's the how not the cow.
Methane from pastured herbivores is default.

It's fossil fuel usage that is driving climate change
Pastured livestock on good grazing regime's can sequester carbon into soil by encouraging deep rooted plants , and building soil.

Repeated monoculture arable for growing grains and other plant crops etc uses lots of FF for cultivations fertilisers etc, and doesn't build the complex ecosystems necessary for natural pest control.

It's highly dependent also on soil type climate etc
I've written 100 essays on this before , but mixed farming systems where animals and their dunging habits are integrated into a diversity of cropping - we hich enhances the soil biome, as thereby our gut biome too, is the way to go.

Smaller scaled systems, that have multiple positive outcomes.

Not vast fossil fuel hungry monocultures which destroy soils and biodiversity in the false pursuit of 'efficiency' .

Oh look another essay..

mudsticks

Squire
Anyone wanting a proper 'deep dive' into all things regen ag, global food justice, land use, eco system responsible farming, agroecology and climate change, it's not too late to sign in for the online version of The 'Real' farming conference, which was set up in response to, and runs at the same time as the 'business as usual' one in Oxford..

https://linktr.ee/oxfordrealfarmingconf

Shoot , I fear I may feature a few times in the archive somewhere there too.

Oh well, can't hide under the bushel forever 🙄

matticus

Guru
This one doesn't but it's obviously not universal, more of a weak correlation I would guess.

The more reactionary end of the Tory spectrum. It was intended as a mildly comical allusion to the over-consumption of pork products.

First google hit:

Conservative MPs sign up to Veganuary for launch of Vegan ...https://www.veganconservatives.org.uk › news › conser...
31 Dec 2020 — Henry Smith MP said, “I've been vegetarian for over 30 years because of animal welfare concerns during the meat production process and its ...

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

Guru
It's the how not the cow.
Methane from pastured herbivores is default.

It's fossil fuel usage that is driving climate change
Pastured livestock on good grazing regime's can sequester carbon into soil by encouraging deep rooted plants , and building soil.

Repeated monoculture arable for growing grains and other plant crops etc uses lots of FF for cultivations fertilisers etc, and doesn't build the complex ecosystems necessary for natural pest control.

It's highly dependent also on soil type climate etc
I've written 100 essays on this before , but mixed farming systems where animals and their dunging habits are integrated into a diversity of cropping - we hich enhances the soil biome, as thereby our gut biome too, is the way to go.

Smaller scaled systems, that have multiple positive outcomes.

Not vast fossil fuel hungry monocultures which destroy soils and biodiversity in the false pursuit of 'efficiency' .

Oh look another essay..

Assuming it is the 'How not the Cow'*, we need to be driven in that direction. AFAIK that will also mean reduced 'efficency' so either more land usage to raise the same number of cows OR we have to eat less (but better meat) at a higher price.
I'm not suggesting instant veggie world, but the status-quo is not sustainable [ambiguous English usage alert].
In any case, there should be no argument that today, animals for food are a very significant climate change driver....

*Interested in looking at the evidence for this. [EDIT - see you have it upthread].

PS - Am not unaware of the irony/hypocrisy of my source of income in this....

How do we know there are no fat, pink middle aged people at the more reactionary end of the Labour spectrum that get all hot and bothered.

First google hit:

Conservative MPs sign up to Veganuary for launch of Vegan ...https://www.veganconservatives.org.uk › news › conser...
31 Dec 2020 — Henry Smith MP said, “I've been vegetarian for over 30 years because of animal welfare concerns during the meat production process and its ...

To be fair, I did qualify that it was only a guess about a weak correlation. Interesting data points nevertheless.

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
We also need to stop shipping UK live animals in giant trucks a thousand miles to have their bum wiped and be put through a mincer, then returned to the UK as the 20% meat content in a 99p lasagne.

In general we need to eat less but better quality food, I reckon. Instead many people have high volume, high calorie diets, of crap food. Trouble is, when you're skint it's easy to get in a routine of eating cheap rubbishy food.

D

Deleted member 28

Assuming it is the 'How not the Cow'*, we need to be driven in that direction. AFAIK that will also mean reduced 'efficency' so either more land usage to raise the same number of cows OR we have to eat less (but better meat) at a higher price.
I'm not suggesting instant veggie world, but the status-quo is not sustainable [ambiguous English usage alert].
In any case, there should be no argument that today, animals for food are a very significant climate change driver....

*Interested in looking at the evidence for this. [EDIT - see you have it upthread].

PS - Am not unaware of the irony/hypocrisy of my source of income in this....

And right on cue........

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Who care's, Sue Me
Shove your veganuary were the sun dont shine…….

Top Bottom