Meat is (climate) Murder....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bobzmyunkle

Next it'll come out that Shep has identified as a woman and has been channelling Diana's thoughts to Harry.
Sorry Shep - banter init.

mudsticks

Squire
Assuming it is the 'How not the Cow'*, we need to be driven in that direction. AFAIK that will also mean reduced 'efficency' so either more land usage to raise the same number of cows OR we have to eat less (but better meat) at a higher price.
I'm not suggesting instant veggie world, but the status-quo is not sustainable [ambiguous English usage alert].
In any case, there should be no argument that today, animals for food are a very significant climate change driver....

*Interested in looking at the evidence for this. [EDIT - see you have it upthread].

PS - Am not unaware of the irony/hypocrisy of my source of income in this....

I know you're not unaware of the dissonance between your source of income and the need to move away from industrialised long supply chain food systems.

As I've said before we're all in this system as is, just either more or less embedded depending upon which way we turned at various points in our lives

After attending 'conventional' agricultural college (NDA) I chose to turn away from the industrialised model which was promoted then as modern and most efficient, in those times (late eighties early nineties) and pursue a more holistic greener lower input approach .

Richly derided in many circles back then of course - but hey you have to have a thick skin as a new entrant to agriculture anyway, esp if you're female , so whatevs.

Plus I now make a sustainable income from doing it, and have gone from landless farmworker to farm owner on the back of it..
(Or 'idiot' as Shep would have it 😁)

Since that time understanding has shifted to see that soil care, diversity and layering of cropping and livestock is the way forward.

That we can't carry on with the reductive monocultures, and hyper processed over calorific but nutritionally depleted foods such as is promoted by the extractive, profit first driven model .(McD's being just one of many)

Study after study shows that overall smaller agroecological farms produce more nutrition per hectare than large industrialised acreages.
By diversity of cropping , and animal husbandry and by having multiple outputs, from multi layered enterprises quite often too.

It's not true it's less efficient..
But yes we need to eat less meat perhaps, but better.

The majority of the world's population is still fed by smaller and medium sized farms.
Even the UN itself acknowledges this.

It's an outright lie that bigger is better.

But of course those vast extractive models have the bigger lobbying power with governments and even with many NGOs..

Why can they monetise so much lobbying power ?? because they have extracted vast profits from the global commons - soil, and ecosystems, and from land grabs deforestation for soya for animal feed, and all the rest of it .
And polluted water , soils, air and our bodies along the way .
They've made populations , yet at the same time obese, and undernourished with micronutrients.

More sustainable systems don't make so much profit, because they're not so extractive of resources, nor so exploitative of people.
They allow small independent (like me) farmers to flourish

Time for a change, it's coming at an increasing pace now, but not quite soon enough.

And of course theres a good amount of push back from corporations such as that for whom you work

Just as there was / is with tobacco companies / oil corps / Bayer / Monsanto..
And all the rest..

Ok folks coming for dins (lucky them) so I'd best crack on..

mudsticks

Squire
Not happy being abused, but quite happy abusing others……go figure

You're talking about your own hyper- hypocritcal self here I hope .

Shep is foul mouthed and misogynistic quite often, no doubt about it, I don't think it's acceptable.

But your contributions are off the scale, you know it, we all know it.

You insulted me repeatedly on the brexit thread coming out with all sorts of laughable insults , often referring to my gender.

Then have the bras neck to call others out for their own misogyny.

Ha de ha de ha.

Give it a rest, no one's fooled, no one's impressed.

C R

Über Member
How do we know there are no fat, pink middle aged people at the more reactionary end of the Labour spectrum that get all hot and bothered.

There might even be a few on this very forum that fit that description.:whistle:

Those usually vote Reform or UKIP

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Who care's, Sue Me
You're talking about your own hyper- hypocritcal self here I hope .

Shep is foul mouthed and misogynistic quite often, no doubt about it, I don't think it's acceptable.

But your contributions are off the scale, you know it, we all know it.

You insulted me repeatedly on the brexit thread coming out with all sorts of laughable insults , often referring to my gender.

Then have the bras neck to call others out for their own misogyny.

Ha de ha de ha.

Give it a rest, no one's fooled, no one's impressed.

Get off that high horse…..no one cares what you think.

Your just a sad farmer, who thinks the world owes them something. Get a grip and a life, then maybe you wouldnt spend all your time on here moaning about everything.

mudsticks

Squire
Get off that high horse…..no one cares what you think.

Your just a sad farmer, who thinks the world owes them something. Get a grip and a life, then maybe you wouldnt spend all your time on here moaning about everything.

On the contrary I'm an extremely happy farmer

Maybe because it's my personality, but also because I made choices that worked out, and am in a very advantageous position

What I'd like is for other people to be able to do what I do, and to have the chances I've had.

And rather weirdly lots of people do seem to care what I think, even to the point they'll often even pay to hear me say or write it.

Bizarre eh??

jowwy

On the contrary I'm an extremely happy farmer

Maybe because it's my personality, but also because I made choices that worked out, and am in a very advantageous position

What I'd like is for other people to be able to do what I do, and to have the chances I've had.

And rather weirdly lots of people do seem to care what I think, even to the point they'll often even pay to hear me say or write it.

Bizarre eh??

Maybe you should tell your post writer your happy, because you come across a sad lonely spinster, that likes to blame everyone else for her issues…..and doesnt like anyone else having a choice or opinion thats different from her own.

bizzare eh??

mudsticks

Squire
Maybe you should tell your post writer your happy, because you come across a sad lonely spinster, that likes to blame everyone else for her issues…..and doesnt like anyone else having a choice or opinion thats different from her own.

bizzare eh??

Ha ha ha ha (again)

Where does this idea that I'm sad or lonely or even single come from??

Which 'issues'

I think there maybe some projection going on on your part.

jowwy

Ha ha ha ha (again)

Where does this idea that I'm sad or lonely or even single come from??

Which 'issues'

I think there maybe some projection going on on your part.

Maybe you should read your posts before hitting send, then you can see were the idea comes from…..cause for the life of me, i dont know why anyone would want to live with such a sad individual, who likes to blame everyone else for their life issues in their chosen area of work.

as for projection on my part, dont flatter yourself, if i wanted to project, it wouldnt be with the sad and lonely on here and especially you.

I mean its so sad in here, you got shep on another thread crying because someone is picking on his posts……as if hes never done it himself and then theres you moaning about anything and everything.

mudsticks

Squire
Maybe you should read your posts before hitting send, then you can see were the idea comes from…..cause for the life of me, i dont know why anyone would want to live with such a sad individual, who likes to blame everyone else for their life issues in their chosen area of work.

as for projection on my part, dont flatter yourself, if i wanted to project, it wouldnt be with the sad and lonely on here and especially you.

I mean its so sad in here, you got shep on another thread crying because someone is picking on his posts……as if hes never done it himself and then theres you moaning about anything and everything.

You're free to leave at any time if you don't like the people here, or the subject matter, I can absolutely guarantee you won't be missed.

I'm happy enough here chatting with all sorts about all sorts of things.
That's my choice

Some folks enjoy my contributions, other not so much.

I personally don't find anything of value in your posts so I'll not bother to respond to you again.

jowwy

You're free to leave at any time if you don't like the people here, or the subject matter, I can absolutely guarantee you won't be missed.

I'm happy enough here chatting with all sorts about all sorts of things.
That's my choice

Some folks enjoy my contributions, other not so much.

I personally don't find anything of value in your posts so I'll not bother to respond to you again.

Thank fark for that, because you was boring the life out of me…….

Top Bottom