Meat is (climate) Murder....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milzy

Meat or crickets I know what I’ll choose. Fossil fuels, factory farming not great. What about all these wood burner throbbers, every year there’s more. We’re going backwards for cheap heat. I’m surprised they don’t get fined or have to pay a pollution tax. A real northerner would only light it if outside was 0 or below but now they’re on Willy Nilly. Knobbers.

albion

Veteran
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-64904334.amp

Sounds like Booths. Rising costs taking their toll maybe. Errors creep in.

D

Deleted member 121

With lab steaks appearing left right and centre will they start to get faked using animal meat?
https://www.greenqueen.com.hk/mirai-foods-debuts-worlds-first-cultivated-tenderloin-steak/

With meat consumption set to double by 2050, how many steaks have these companies produced so far i wonder? I've seen a few examples to great fanfare. Mirai for example has acquired $5,000,000 of funding in 2021. How many steaks have they produced so far? I don't think it's very many as you have to join a waiting list for a "bite". The concept is sound i think and has been about a while now, but in the real world? How many factories would they need to build to meet the demand? How much can they realistically "cultivate"? I sound rather cynical and i am with this one, seems like a very expensive new cool trend for the elite rich to feel warm an gooey about themselves and say they are doing something environmental and its us peasants that are the problem, we just need to depopulate the worthless eaters...

Reactions: C R

Milzy

With meat consumption set to double by 2050, how many steaks have these companies produced so far i wonder? I've seen a few examples to great fanfare. Mirai for example has acquired $5,000,000 of funding in 2021. How many steaks have they produced so far? I don't think it's very many as you have to join a waiting list for a "bite". The concept is sound i think and has been about a while now, but in the real world? How many factories would they need to build to meet the demand? How much can they realistically "cultivate"? I sound rather cynical and i am with this one, seems like a very expensive new cool trend for the elite rich to feel warm an gooey about themselves and say they are doing something environmental and its us peasants that are the problem, we just need to depopulate the worthless eaters...

Maybe depopulation could be a thing one day. Tin foil hatters said mRNA vaccines would do it but we’ve yet to see any clear evidence yet. My mate col is 60 running 3 hour marathons so I’d say his heart is running kind of well thus far after 4 shots.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Maybe depopulation could be a thing one day. Tin foil hatters said mRNA vaccines would do it but we’ve yet to see any clear evidence yet. My mate col is 60 running 3 hour marathons so I’d say his heart is running kind of well thus far after 4 shots.

Just my uneducated option, but, the bugs will get us in the end.

Milzy

Just my uneducated option, but, the bugs will get us in the end.
We are already having less children. Countries like China will struggle looking after so many elderly people. Automation will be needed more than ever. Listening to podcasts recently I’ve found that many people living in a fast paced city don’t even have relationships as much anymore and you get people stopping single long term. Eventually we will get sentinel AI robot beings but that’s another thread topic for another day.

D

Deleted member 121

We are already having less children. Countries like China will struggle looking after so many elderly people. Automation will be needed more than ever. Listening to podcasts recently I’ve found that many people living in a fast paced city don’t even have relationships as much anymore and you get people stopping single long term. Eventually we will get sentinel AI robot beings but that’s another thread topic for another day.

Who is we?

The world population is still growing quite quickly and climate related issues really are global.

What happens in regionally developed economies in regards to elderly care, irrespective of how aged the populations are, will depend solely on how much that society values them. Which is why we're stuffed in this country and why in Japan for example, they are proactively coming up with all sorts of innovative if not crazy projects to improve their elderly lives, such as bionic and mechanical suits and personal mobility aids. Here in the UK we give bus passes out but then remove the bus services and then talk about whether free bus passes should end. A class act...

albion

Veteran
Seems a larger portion of what is killing us is lack of regulation.
https://www.theguardian.com/environ...hind-60-of-uk-particulate-air-pollution-study
https://www.newscientist.com/articl...s-may-be-the-best-way-to-reduce-air-pollution
"The UK government is consulting on banning the use of urea in fertiliser, which emits much more ammonia than ammonium nitrate fertiliser. The Netherlands and Germany already require manure to be injected into fields rather than sprayed on the surface, but there is no such requirement in the UK. “Any farmer that can smell their manure is losing that goodness,” said Sutton."

Considering that 'consultation' is over 3 years old, it feels like another gravy train 'easy money for friends' type thing.

• Sad
Reactions: C R

mudsticks

Squire
An update on that info.
https://amp.theguardian.com/environ...-over-quarter-cities-particle-pollution-study
'Farming is the main cause of the springtime smog that affects western Europe each year. In 2014, Paris banned half of its traffic in a vain effort to control a spring smog. The health benefits from tacking agricultural ammonia are huge.'

If good farming, and the good food that springs from good farming, and all the associated public goods that spring from those good things, was placed back at the centre of government policy, where it should be, we might stand a chance.

As it is, agriculturalists have been relentlessly pushed to industrialise, and to engage in practices that make other people wealthy, whilst seeing their own farm gate returns be squeezed to almost zero.

It's not the fault of farmers.
It's the whole food system that has been f*cked over for decades, for the short term gain of the extractive commodity supplier, or commodity buyer.

It's doesn't serve public health, or wellbeing, it doesn't serve farmers.

But hey what do us lumpen rusticles know about any of it, eh??

albion

Veteran
Part of the solution mentiined is legislation that forces farmers to inject the excrements under the soil.

Sadly, as we know, this government sets the health and well being bar very low.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Part of the solution mentiined is legislation that forces farmers to inject the excrements under the soil.

Sadly, as we know, this government sets the health and well being bar very low.

They (farmers) would need an ‘incentive’ to do that.

Top Bottom