New number plates

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr Celine

Doh, sorry... always get that the wrong way round!@
Your motoring organisation breathalyser quote was also wrong. There is no UK alcohol limit.
There is an England, Wales and NI limit and there is a Scotland limit. The latter is the same as the French one for drivers with over 3 years experience.

Mr Celine

I have SCO inside the Euro stars on mine. The only comments I've ever heard regarding these were on a Danish campsite in 2007.

Hopefully the next time I drive to France they'll actually be legal.

Pale Rider

Veteran
A lot of fuss over a sticker, as observed, so it's really any excuse to moan at the government.

I buy late used cars and have always managed to avoid an EU marked number plate, although if a car I like had one it's unlikely I could be bothered to change it.

mjr

Firstly I did not say you had to change your number plate at all I just said change. My number plates with GB inside the European Flag will no longer be valid, [...]
No longer valid where? Inside the UK, you don't have to display any country sticker anyway, so probably you can just say that you taped over it and the tape must have come off or been removed by a pesky Remainer prankster.

Outside of the UK, I doubt anyone will reject a GB, especially not if it's in a circle of stars and you are in the EU. Is any foreign country really going to enforce Brexit fans' fantasies for them? Will many even know about this bizarre move?

Milkfloat

No longer valid where? Inside the UK, you don't have to display any country sticker anyway, so probably you can just say that you taped over it and the tape must have come off or been removed by a pesky Remainer prankster.

Outside of the UK, I doubt anyone will reject a GB, especially not if it's in a circle of stars and you are in the EU. Is any foreign country really going to enforce Brexit fans' fantasies for them? Will many even know about this bizarre move?
You don't need it in the UK but I am not going to take the risk of a stroppy Polizia Stradale in Italy or a corrupt Bulgarian stopping me for the sake of a few quid. However, it is the principal and the fact that government time has been spent on this fantasy of wiping out the EU.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
No, you do not have to change your number plate. But don't let the small matter of the facts get in the way of another Brexit imagined issue. You simply put a UK sticker on your car. If you did want to change your number plate, simply get one with a cross of St George on it, and that should nicely future proof you as well as being legal.

There is no requirement to remove the EU flag from your number plate. In fact I have a car, with number plates, and have no flag on them at all.

That is most wise, especially as you don't have to.

What I don't understand is that you are all going on about this huge issue, but no-one is mentioning that the rules for driving in France, but no other country, is that you need to carry a breathalyser and a breathalyser is about £5 instead of £1.50. So you have to do something different in one country to all the others and you haven't batted an eyelid, you have to spend a couple of pounds on a sticker valid everywhere and it is some major bloody trauma!

As a regular driver in France, this is NOT true and never was true. There was a proposal to make it law (in Sarkozy's time) but it never became law. Earned the shops at the Tunnel and Ferry terminals a nice little income however.

What is true is that the 27 independent sovereign nations that make up the EU do have some different rules such as the obligation to have hi-viz vests, warning triangles, snow chains, winter tyres. Some even have motorway tolls and extra tolls for HGVs. Truly when you leave the UK it's like being in a foreign country.
Sovereignty innit….

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
Thanks, what's your address so we can all send you the bill?
I am happy to buy you a UK sticker if you really can't afford one, what is your address?

Rusty Nails

Country Member
Never mind the complexity of different driving rules in that there Abroadland, this really is a first world problem.

Sorry, but in the bigger picture of problems due to Brexit, and the overall cost of taking a gas-guzzling car to Europe this really is trivial and plays into the hands of those who use the Remoaner argument.

Archie_tect

The isolationism of the UK's akin to pouring salt into an open wound... people who wanted Brexit will never fail to take every opportunity to increase the pain.

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
The isolationism of the UK's akin to pouring salt into an open wound... people who wanted Brexit will never fail to take every opportunity to increase the pain.
Seriously, having to spend under £2 on a sticker. How is that increasing anyones pain?

If anyone who has posted on this thread so far finds they cannot afford to go abroad now because of the cost of the sticker, I will buy them one, they just have to ask and I will sort it for them.

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
Never mind the complexity of different driving rules in that there Abroadland, this really is a first world problem.

Sorry, but in the bigger picture of problems due to Brexit, and the overall cost of taking a gas-guzzling car to Europe this really is trivial and plays into the hands of those who use the Remoaner argument.
Isn't that kind of the point? It's so petty and trivial and banal yet they still found the time and put the effort in to make it a thing.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
Isn't that kind of the point? It's so petty and trivial and banal yet they still found the time and put the effort in to make it a thing.
Par for the course with this government I'm afraid, but this particular issue will cause no problems and be forgotten about in a day or two, while the other problems of Brexit will affect people for years to come ... except one or two, of course, who see no problems so are not bothered.

deptfordmarmoset

Über Member
Planning a trip/holiday to France next year and am slightly annoyed that my old number plates are no longer suitable thanks to Boris and chums moving the goalposts. so I have to buy stickers again. Except this time "UK" rather than "GB".
I knew it was coming - it's been in the news before... but you'd think the government would have more useful things to spent time and money on.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58734265
Have you got your EHICs sorted from your GHICs yet? (Note: the GlobalHICs replacement for UK travellers is now EHICs minus 4 countries. In fact it is now a truly EUHIC card. But they couldn't call it that, could they? Hence, bizarrely, Global is now the word that stands for the EU.) It's not a cost issue, just a phasing out of the EHIC upon expiry. And Brexitly daft.

Top Bottom