New number plates

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Archie_tect

Seriously, having to spend under £2 on a sticker. How is that increasing anyones pain?

If anyone who has posted on this thread so far finds they cannot afford to go abroad now because of the cost of the sticker, I will buy them one, they just have to ask and I will sort it for them.
That's kind of you... can you arrange freedom of movement and a single market back so we can get the NHS staffing levels increased, and the EU drivers distributing goods to and from the UK, Ireland and the EU while you're at it? Ta!

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Seriously, having to spend under £2 on a sticker. How is that increasing anyones pain?

If anyone who has posted on this thread so far finds they cannot afford to go abroad now because of the cost of the sticker, I will buy them one, they just have to ask and I will sort it for them.

You are right, the cost is paltry. It is petty and pointless, but, no big deal in £'s.

So... instead of your kind offer, could you...

Get my free roaming back?

Get my right of free movement back, so that I can continue to spend my customary six month/year in mainland Europe, once Covid restrictions end?

Beebo

Veteran
You are right, the cost is paltry. It is petty and pointless, but, no big deal in £'s.

So... instead of your kind offer, could you...

Get my right of free movement back, so that I can continue to spend my customary six month/year in mainland Europe, once Covid restrictions end?
I was talking to a retired couple who have a home in Spain. If they stay more than 90 days a year in total it impacts their income tax.

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
That's kind of you... can you arrange freedom of movement and a single market back so we can get the NHS staffing levels increased, and the EU drivers distributing goods to and from the UK, Ireland and the EU while you're at it? Ta!

Hey, what a laugh, I can see how this is going.

No, I can't do any of that, could you arrange for the remain team to have had a better campaign that wasn't relentlessly negative and run by sanctimonious, smug, 'we are all so much cleverer than you' dickheads?

BoldonLad

I was talking to a retired couple who have a home in Spain. If they stay more than 90 days a year in total it impacts their income tax.

We do not LIVE in mainland Europe, we travel there and drift around in a motorhome, south in winter, north in summer. Never had a tax challenge over it.

Don't know what the "rules" may be post Brexit, but, if you lived in Spain, and, did it correctly, ie rather than pretending to be a visitor, then there are/were implications for contributions to health system etc. Similar "rules" may. exist in other countries in mainland Europe, I never lived there, so, never had cause to find out.

BoldonLad

No, I can't do any of that, could you arrange for the remain team to have had a better campaign that wasn't relentlessly negative and run by sanctimonious, smug, 'we are all so much cleverer than you' dickheads?

Well, IMHO, it is too early to call yet, it may well turn out they were (cleverer).

Certainly, in my case, they were correct in pointing out that Freedom of Movement was a plus. ;)

FishFright

What is true is that the 27 independent sovereign nations that make up the EU do have some different rules such as the obligation to have hi-viz vests, warning triangles, snow chains, winter tyres. Some even have motorway tolls and extra tolls for HGVs. Truly when you leave the UK it's like being in a foreign country.

In fact its like being in 27 different countries .

Archie_tect

You spoiled your post with the final bit... that smacks of someone who knows they were right and everyone else was wrong, except the truth hurts sometimes, even if you aren't willing to admit it to yourself or anyone else... that's entirely understandable in the circumstances.

In fact its like being in 27 different countries .
Who’d a thought it, eh? Like they’re together, but like, they’re still different innit with their own flags, sausages and funny talking….
The Belgians and the Czechs even make good beers and in Malaga you can get proper pints and a full English for brekkie….

Last edited:

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
You spoiled your post with the final bit... that smacks of someone who knows they were right and everyone else was wrong, except the truth hurts sometimes, even if you aren't willing to admit it to yourself or anyone else... that's entirely understandable in the circumstances.
I think that Brexit......
has to be worked through by collaborating together not being provocatively divisive and negative

mjr

You don't need it in the UK but I am not going to take the risk of a stroppy Polizia Stradale in Italy or a corrupt Bulgarian stopping me for the sake of a few quid. However, it is the principal and the fact that government time has been spent on this fantasy of wiping out the EU.
Stroppy and corrupt police will always find some pretext. This will not be one.

BoldonLad

Stroppy and corrupt police will always find some pretext. This will not be one.

I would not bet on it. I was once pulled over when driving along a motorway in Czech Republic. I was travelling at 110kph, and Police pulled me over because (through ignorance) I did not have a "vignette" attached to the windscreen. The vignette is about the size of a 50p piece, it always interested me how he was able to spot that from a moving car at that speed.

No harm done, a pleasant chat, a promise to buy a vignette, at next service station, and a few Euro without any paperwork saw me on my way. ;)

Last edited:
OP
OP
lazybloke

lazybloke

Regular

You think the Leave side had a positive message?

OP
OP
lazybloke

lazybloke

Regular
A lot of fuss over a sticker, as observed, so it's really any excuse to moan at the government.

I buy late used cars and have always managed to avoid an EU marked number plate, although if a car I like had one it's unlikely I could be bothered to change it.
Yes, a well deserved moan for unnecessary (multiple) rule changes.
And that's the smallest reason to moan at the government.

Well done for catching on; have a gold star.

Top Bottom