Newcastle Utd about to be taken over, but by whom?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Archie_tect

The take-over of Newcastle United by a Saudi-Arabian backed consortium has been held up by concerns over Saudi human rights ongoing issues. If the future manager of Newcastle Utd disappears in ther night when they don't win the Premierrship will anyone care?

Should football be allowed to be politicised by clubs being bought in this way or is it just part of the game now?

Ashley may not have won any medals but at least he isn't accused of backing unspeakable acts of torture and terrorism

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58827632

Last edited:

FishFright

The oil states see the writing on the wall and so are diversifying as quickly as possible.

You won't see any action taken against the Saudi's here in the U.K. while we sell then weapons at such a rate .

AndyRM

Elder Goth
Takeover by these confirmed:

PIF, PCP Capital Partners and RB Sports & Media

The state has claimed no involvement, but it all seems a bit dodgy to me.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Not a Football Fan, so, I have no idea, of the answer: are any other UK Football Clubs owned by "questionable" Regimes, or, representatives of such Regimes?

OP
OP
Archie_tect

Archie_tect

It would be reasonable to assume that any multiple billionaire individual or group which seeks to divert funds into football hasn't acquired its wealth entirely legitimately.

The fact that the PIF Group has been engineered to front the acquisition to mask the Saudi backers speaks volumes about the hoops that have been jumped to legitimise the bid in the eyes of the British Government and the Football League.

StuAff

Fit & proper persons test= crock of ****.

Given the multiple cases in this country, let alone elsewhere, of clubs being bought, in some cases repeatedly, by people who had no money and/or were fronting for someone else, dirty money, failure to make sure clubs were actually run in anything resembling a decent fashion…one has to ask what the hell the point of the governing bodies is. My own club being a case in point. Sasha Gaydamak- using his dodgy dad's money. Sulaiman al Fahim- no money. Ali al Faraj- front for Gaydamak snr's creditors. Vladimir Antonov- bank embezzlement. Two sets of administrators, who made the same set of mistakes (e.g. players on big salaries with no relegation clauses in the contract). And what did the FA and Premier League when all this was going on? Nothing. Without the Supporters' Trust, we'd have gone under, creditors would have got nothing. Mr Eisner, thankfully, is anything but dodgy and is spending carefully. There's a lot of moaning among my fellow supporters about the failure to get back to the Championship, saying that Eisner should be breaking the piggybank. Given the previous traumas, I think I prefer slow and steady...

Beebo

Veteran
How do you reconcile things like the anti racist, anti homophobic, pro women’s football agenda of the FA and Premier league with the Saudi sovereign wealth fund?

The fans didn’t like Ashley because her changes the name of the stadium but they now love a new owner who kills journalists, enslaves workers, doesn’t allow women or gay rights.

It just total hypocrisy.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
How do you reconcile things like the anti racist, anti homophobic, pro women’s football agenda of the FA and Premier league with the Saudi sovereign wealth fund?

The fans didn’t like Ashley because her changes the name of the stadium but they now love a new owner who kills journalists, enslaves workers, doesn’t allow women or gay rights.

It just total hypocrisy.

I agree, hypocrisy.

As I said, up thread, I am not a football fan. However, I live in the "catchment area" for NUFC supporters. Whilst those of my acquaintances who are NUFC supporters, didn't like the Stadium name change (local "tradition" and all that), I will be amazed if any of them give a second thought to the "qualities" of the new owners, all they will see is £££'s and new players. I know someone who has a "hospitality box" (or what ever they are called), at NUFC. He is gay. I will not be holding my breath for him to show his displeasure by ending the arrangement.

OP
OP
Archie_tect

Archie_tect

Some supporters have said they'd like to see Newcastle get relegated this year just to wind the new owners up.
... but then they support Sunderland.

Pale Rider

Veteran
Given the Toon can attract 50,000 to a game, the supporter base will be a broad church.

There will be fans who wouldn't care if the devil incarnate owned the club, provided they signed Messi.

Equally, there will be lots of fans who are well aware of the 'Saudi factor'.

One thing they all have in common is they can do naff all about it.

Pale Rider

Veteran
They could stop going and buying stuff from the shop.

Fans can have some impact on getting the manager the sack if they boo hard enough, but they have no impact on changing ownership - several previous boycotts failed miserably.

Particularly true with a Premier League club, the wealthy owners are beyond financial intimidation, and in any event a large proportion of their income comes from media deals.

OP
OP
Archie_tect

Archie_tect

Curious to see how long Steve Bruce will last- expect he'll be gone the day after the deal's signed.

As long as he keeps clear of the Saudi Embassy.

Top Bottom