News that generates Mixed Feelings...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Struggling to believe a watch could be worth £130k, I looked at their website. One of the watches key marketing points is that it can withstand 5000G. Which makes me wonder what the person wearing the watch would end up like if the watch was ever subjected to such forces.

It may have cost £130k, it’s worth is another consideration entirely, I would have thought.

Beebo

Veteran
Apropos of probably quite a few things, isn't it interesting that if the same person in the same place had been robbed of a £20 watch, the BBC wouldn't be talking about it.

Funny, that.

News does have to be somewhat out of the ordinary.
1000s of crimes happen every day. This one is quite clearly newsworthy.

On the question raised by the OP. I can’t find any comfort in the watch owner getting attacked.

Was he silly for wearing such a watch? Was he asking to get robbed. Did he put temptation in the path of the thieves?

Xipe Totec

Something nasty in the woodshed
News does have to be somewhat out of the ordinary.
1000s of crimes happen every day. This one is quite clearly newsworthy.

And that's interesting too, in its own way. I wonder who's more likely to be adversely impacted by the loss of their watch - the guy with the Very Important 130 grand one, or the poor (theoretical) sod with the irrelevant £20 one, who may be unable to afford a replacement?

And which near-identical crime would the police likely not bother to investigate?

BoldonLad

And that's interesting too, in its own way. I wonder who's more likely to be adversely impacted by the loss of their watch - the guy with the Very Important 130 grand one, or the poor (theoretical) sod with the irrelevant £20 one, who may be unable to afford a replacement?

And which near-identical crime would the police likely not bother to investigate?

I think I am right in saying that the poor are more likely to be victims of crime, than the better off.

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
Mugging people for their possessions is wrong, regardless of the value of the item. A scary experience isn't any less scary just because the thing stolen cost a lot. I wouldn't spend that on a watch but it's the thieves who are the bad guys here. The only 'mixed feelings' the story generates in me is that there will be people mugged today for £20 in cash or for a £40 phone who won't be able to replace it as easily as this guy.

Edit: XT and Adam just beat me to it. The monetary cost is nothing compared to the trauma.

BoldonLad

That's the Tory way.....

Nice sound bite… but…. I think it is/was true, regardless of the Party in Government.

Top Bottom