News that generates Mixed Feelings...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

FishFright

There all the same.....is that your best ?

I think it is .

Does anyone, apart from watchmakers, thieves and other narcissists actually notice what sort of watch other people wear?

Yes, I do, I like watches. My Rolex bought 30 years ago is worth 3x what I paid for it and I wear it every day, everywhere. I may indulge myself In an IWC for my 60th. When am dead and gone my children will take them on. So yes, I notice others watches and others notice mine. Does this make me narcissist?
One can make the same argument for many things.
I like my 10 bicycles, I like fountain pens, and I'm going to indulge in an Eames Chair to rest my bones in when I move house. Does this make me a narcissist?
I drive a 10 year old Citroën C1 and take modest holidays.
I've worked my nuts off over the years, raised my kids, paid my taxes, given to others.
With what's left I should be able to choose to buy, own and invest things that give me pleasure shouldn't l be able too without being labled a narcissist?

People value things and experiences differently. It's not all about money....

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 28

Yes, I do, I like watches. My Rolex bought 30 years ago is worth 3x what I paid for it and I wear it every day, everywhere. I may indulge myself In an IWC for my 60th. When am dead and gone my children will take them on. So yes, I notice others watches and others notice mine. Does this make me narcissist?
One can make the same argument for many things.
I like my 10 bicycles, I like fountain pens, and I'm going to indulge in an Eames Chair to rest my bones in when I move house. Does this make me a narcissist?
I drive a 10 year old Citroën C1 and take modest holidays.
I've worked my nuts off over the years, raised my kids, paid my taxes, given to others.
With what's left I should be able to choose to buy, own and invest things that give me pleasure shouldn't l be able too without being labled a narcissist?

People value things and experiences differently. It's not all about money....

F**k me!

I actually agree with every word in this post, time to leave I think.

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
Thing is, once you start asking questions like that, you very quickly get to victim blaming rather than putting responsibility where it belongs - squarely on the shoulders of the assailants. We can all take steps to reduce the opportunity for crime, but when it does happen it's because someone has chosen to commit a criminal act.

I don't think I've ever seen someone on CC start a thread about bike theft and have someone post, 'Well what do you expect if you have a £3k bike? You were asking for it'.

Last edited:

Beebo

Veteran

These were questions for the OP, not opinions.

It’s the same argument when ladies get sexually assaulted.

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
Thing is, once you start asking questions like that, you very quickly get to victim blaming rather than putting responsibility where it belongs - squarely on the shoulders of the assailants. We can all take steps to reduce the opportunity for crime, but when it does happen it's because someone has chosen to commit a criminal act.

I don't think I've ever seen someone on CC start a thread about bike theft and have someone post, 'Well what do you expect if you have a £3k bike? You were asking for it'.

I think it's perfectly possible to both condemn the thieves, and to hold the opinion that a £130k watch is an absolutely grotesque display of ostentatious capitalist consumerism.

Nobody's ever tried to steal my watch.

20151004_100554.jpg

OP
OP
icowden

icowden

Legendary Member
On the question raised by the OP. I can’t find any comfort in the watch owner getting attacked.
Was he silly for wearing such a watch? Was he asking to get robbed. Did he put temptation in the path of the thieves?
Perhaps I wasn't clear in the original post - but I don't at all condemn the poor guy being attacked, and I was trying to steer away from victim blaming.

@winjim summed up my feelings rather well:
I think it's perfectly possible to both condemn the thieves, and to hold the opinion that a £130k watch is an absolutely grotesque display of ostentatious capitalist consumerism.

Top Bottom