Noisy protests

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Is anybody saying we should only have protests they approve of? The discussion is about the form of protest and whether it tips over into something less acceptable such as harassment.
I might regard some form of protest as harassment that you would say was acceptable so, flawed as it is, it probably has to be a legal decision about harassment.

Yes, I would agree, it probably has to be a legal decision. Isn't that what is going to happen with Steve Bray aka "Brexit Man"? He is being taken to court, he may yet be acquitted, as with the decision on the "Labour MP's failure to declare/clerical error, (not a court case, I know), we will have to wait and see".

Last edited:
OP
OP
newfhouse

newfhouse

pleb
Is anybody saying we should only have protests they approve of? The discussion is about the form of protest and whether it tips over into something less acceptable such as harassment.
I might regard some form of protest as harassment that you would say was acceptable so, flawed as it is, it probably has to be a legal decision about harassment.

Isn’t it quite simple in this case? Protest to the lawmakers if you want to limit bodily autonomy (if you must) but don’t target individual users or providers of health services.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Isn’t it quite simple in this case? Protest to the lawmakers if you want to limit bodily autonomy (if you must) but don’t target individual users or providers of health services.

Is that not valid in other, or, indeed all cases?

ie Protest to the lawmakers, not individual users or providers, So, for example, if you object to (say) testing involving animals, then, don't protest outside premises where such tests take place, but, rather protest to the lawmakers?

Note: I am not expressing support or otherwise for testing involving animals, just using it as an example, I could just as easily have used anti-tax protests in vaccination centres, outside schools etc, as examples.

OP
OP
newfhouse

newfhouse

pleb
Is that not valid in other, or, indeed all cases?

ie Protest to the lawmakers, not individual users or providers, So, for example, if you object to (say) testing involving animals, then, don't protest outside premises where such tests take place, but, rather protest to the lawmakers?

Note: I am not expressing support or otherwise for testing involving animals, just using it as an example, I could just as easily have used anti-tax protests in vaccination centres, outside schools etc, as examples.

No, I think it’s a bit more complicated than that.

Protest at OilCorp’s head office or depots may be legitimate. Following Dave from accounts home in order to hassle his family probably isn’t.

Far right-ish movements have been subjected to all kinds of harassments for years, often by so called ''anti-fascist'' the police and authorities never seems to be able to manage this although it's quite and small and voilent group who always disturbers those loonies authorities often find it more convenient to curb the freedom of those far right voices instead out off ''security concerns'' .
So currently protest apparently stop at the point where the opposing unannounced violent and the protest are far right.
Other way round the Police does seem all of the sudden have the power to control those, and protect the far leftish protest. if it doesn't turn into far-right vs anti-fascist or far-left's fighting squad.

So protest that ''they'' approve off is already happening, the ''they'' might not be the one's that should make those decisions i think it should be an democratic right like the law says it is, but it isn't and it has been for some time. I don't agree with any far right persons but i do thing their right to protest should matter, but it doesn't and it doesn't matter for a majority of the people and that's why we have this discussion now, if you only care about democracy when it suits you it will erode sooner or later.

AndyRM

Elder Goth
Far right-ish movements have been subjected to all kinds of harassments for years, often by so called ''anti-fascist'' the police and authorities never seems to be able to manage this although it's quite and small and voilent group who always disturbers those loonies authorities often find it more convenient to curb the freedom of those far right voices instead out off ''security concerns'' .
So currently protest apparently stop at the point where the opposing unannounced violent and the protest are far right.
Other way round the Police does seem all of the sudden have the power to control those, and protect the far leftish protest. if it doesn't turn into far-right vs anti-fascist or far-left's fighting squad.

So protest that ''they'' approve off is already happening, the ''they'' might not be the one's that should make those decisions i think it should be an democratic right like the law says it is, but it isn't and it has been for some time. I don't agree with any far right persons but i do thing their right to protest should matter, but it doesn't and it doesn't matter for a majority of the people and that's why we have this discussion now, if you only care about democracy when it suits you it will erode sooner or later.

This is just nonsense. There are plenty of "far right" gatherings and their right to gather/protest is just as protected as anyone else's.

The problem they have is that, generally speaking, they are outnumbered by those who find their views abhorrent and will counter protest. A few years ago there was an EDL march in Newcastle, it was absolutely pathetic and attended by about 30 people. There were roughly 10 times as many people opposing their nonsense, although in the end most of us lost interest as the whole thing was tragic.

mudsticks

Squire
This is just nonsense. There are plenty of "far right" gatherings and their right to gather/protest is just as protected as anyone else's.

The problem they have is that, generally speaking, they are outnumbered by those who find their views abhorrent and will counter protest. A few years ago there was an EDL march in Newcastle, it was absolutely pathetic and attended by about 30 people. There were roughly 10 times as many people opposing their nonsense, although in the end most of us lost interest as the whole thing was tragic.

Like those saddo football guys 'protecting' Churchills statue, stood there throwing Nazi salutes..??
They can't 'all' have been dropped on their heads as babies can they..??

Poor loves, being 'persecuted' by the 'Woke Snowflake' BLM peeps..

I understand some rwnj got a milkshake chucked at them one time too .?? .

Pretty awful stuff if you're lactose intolerant, or a member of the EDL Vegan Chapter.. 😳

Last edited:

Rusty Nails

Country Member

Then you have noticed far more than I have. Some examples would help.

What is plenty? With which i mean, how many requested protest are actually allowed vs being rejected and that compared to protest of other political directions. In the town here one was allowed last year vs i believe about 10 request opposed to at least 10 left leaning protest.
i did'nt count climate change etc. but just political ones
Yes they mostly are very pathetic and i understand those counterprotestors partly, alltough the organised ''anti-fascist'' are just as bad. But if we are a democracy their right to be saddo's with 30ish must be respected.
and if counterprotests lead to violence what it often does maybe they should not allow those to happens that where it goes wrong most of the time.

The poor dears.
i don't say i feel for them or whatever but it is my point if you don't defend democracy for them it eventually erodes the system, and we have seen that, it started with counterprotest, now we see it at universities one group of students don't agree with the speaker so they harras and harras until the speaker is cancelled and the end result is less democracy, further erosion.

Like those saddo football guys 'protecting' Churchills statue, stood there throwing Nazi salutes..??
They can't 'all' have been dropped on their heads as babies can they..??
Nope not those, that also was violence from both sides, and where more like the hooligans' they normally have the riot vans ready for probably bored out of their minds due to lockdowns, it not a returning thing ''protecting statues''
Poor loves, being 'persecuted' by the 'Woke Snowflake' BLM peeps..

I understand some rwnj got a milkshake chucked at them one time too .?? .

Pretty awful stuff if you're lactose intolerant, or a member of the EDL Vegan Chapter.. 😳
However what you do now does show the issue, i get it you don't like persons like that, me neither but you starting to talk down on them immediately, what i have seen from them it's really not needed but it's also part of the erosion i talked about earlier, we starting to see those as less and although some/most of their mindset leans on seeing others as less it doesn't mean it's helpful nor usefull if society copies that.

Then you have noticed far more than I have. Some examples would help.
Many examples across Europe in the us but to keep it local, in my town they have been 10 request for (far) right protest and only one of them was approved the amount of leftish protest is at least 10 being held, not sure how many where requested.

AndyRM

Elder Goth
What is plenty? With which i mean, how many requested protest are actually allowed vs being rejected and that compared to protest of other political directions. In the town here one was allowed last year vs i believe about 10 request opposed to at least 10 left leaning protest.
i did'nt count climate change etc. but just political ones
Yes they mostly are very pathetic and i understand those counterprotestors partly, alltough the organised ''anti-fascist'' are just as bad. But if we are a democracy their right to be saddo's with 30ish must be respected.
and if counterprotests lead to violence what it often does maybe they should not allow those to happens that where it goes wrong most of the time.

i don't say i feel for them or whatever but it is my point if you don't defend democracy for them it eventually erodes the system, and we have seen that, it started with counterprotest, now we see it at universities one group of students don't agree with the speaker so they harras and harras until the speaker is cancelled and the end result is less democracy, further erosion.

Nope not those, that also was violence from both sides, and where more like the hooligans' they normally have the riot vans ready for probably bored out of their minds due to lockdowns, it not a returning thing ''protecting statues''

However what you do now does show the issue, i get it you don't like persons like that, me neither but you starting to talk down on them immediately, what i have seen from them it's really not needed but it's also part of the erosion i talked about earlier, we starting to see those as less and although some/most of their mindset leans on seeing others as less it doesn't mean it's helpful nor usefull if society copies that.

Many examples across Europe in the us but to keep it local, in my town they have been 10 request for (far) right protest and only one of them was approved the amount of leftish protest is at least 10 being held, not sure how many where requested.

Plenty of protests are "actually allowed". Everyone is allowed their voice; I really don't get why you think they don't.

Top Bottom