Normal Island

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

C R

Über Member
Why is the council wasting time ‘working with the school’? Get the local police to ticket or prosecute drivers. Parents learn a lesson and it shows the children that law-breaking doesn’t go unpunished.

In practice schools and councils seem to have very little means to get the police to do anything. Both the primary and high school ou children attend(ed) have significant issues with inconsiderate parking and driving, including accidents. The most they ever got was a PCSO doing the rounds for a couple of days "advising" parents. Not a single fine has ever been issued.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
In practice schools and councils seem to have very little means to get the police to do anything. Both the primary and high school ou children attend(ed) have significant issues with inconsiderate parking and driving, including accidents. The most they ever got was a PCSO doing the rounds for a couple of days "advising" parents. Not a single fine has ever been issued.

Similar here, school near us got a PCSO for a couple of days, and, when that didn't work, they got a car with a camera mounted on roof, to photograph/video offenders. That didn't work either. They appear to have given up now, parking free-for-all has resumed as before.

icowden

Legendary Member
The Police do not enforce illegal parking on double yellow lines. I would imaging the issue with bollards to stop people parking on the double yellows and pavement is that they started to drive through the gaps where driveways are, so two further bollards were placed to deny them access.

So whilst it seems barmy, it's due to motorists now believing that they can do whatever they like because Councils no longer enforce parking properly.

D

Deleted member 49

stowie

The poor chap in this story was a victim of fraud. FTX was essentially an exchange. From the article it seems that FTX at least implied government underwriting. And FTX were very clear that depositors principles were fully funded. Both of which were direct lies and quite possibly criminally fraudulent (we shall see with the trial).

The only counterpoint to this is that if FTX were offering high rates of return for simply depositing money with them then the question would have had to be "how?". But it would not have been difficult to confuse FTX with a more traditional bank - from the pumping of influencers, the misleading social media tweets and website claims to the fact FTX were big sponsors of US sporting venues and even could issue traditional debit cards. Plus, big corporate investors were putting in money, and SBF was busy throwing cash around the political world to influence policy making whilst on the face of it looking like one of the "responsible" people when advocating for regulation to Senate committees.

Put it this way - if someone decides to invest in MILF token (yes, it is really a crypto coin - look it up, but probably not on a work PC), then they cannot be hugely surprised and outraged when it turns out to be a "rug pull" and they lose all their money. Even this shouldn't happen, but there is some level of individual responsibility to check what is being invested in. But depositing money in a crypto-exchange that was one of the most well known and largest with a lot of backing and the promise of safety? I would say that it understandable.

I am quite an advocate of the concept of crypto, blockchain - hell even NFT. The fact that a lot of the area is a total dumpster fire doesn't mean the underlying concepts over decentralisation don't have merit. If the traditional banking industry didn't have government imposed safeguards for consumers then we would expect it to go a similar way - even with these we all know what a mess traditional finance can make. If people want to dump money in the latest stupid crypto coin then it probably isn't our place to stop them, in the same way I wouldn't be stopped putting on my life savings on the 3:30 at Kempton or some penny stock. However, regulating the exchange between the traditional currency world and crypto currency would seem sensible plus a robust approach to shutting down and prosecuting all those involved with Crypto scams which are in essence Ponzi schemes. Some of the influencers might think twice if they think they could end up with serious jail time at the end of it. I suspect at least part of the government's reluctance with action in this space is they are not keen to be seen to add credibility to the Crypto market.

stowie

As someone cleverer than me pointed out, imagine if a woman got up on stage dressed like SBF and tried to get people to invest.

Toxic techbro culture.

SBF played League of Legends whilst on an investor call to Sequoia and pitching his vision which included the ability to buy a banana on FTX. Their responses were "I LOVE THIS FOUNDER", "I am 10 out of 10", and "YES!!".

The whole tech-bro culture has got to the stage where it is beyond parody. I mean, fine to dress down if you want - but this is on another level.

Crypto, blockchain etc. isn't the simplest concept in the world, but neither should it be particularly taxing for anyone with a certain amount of understanding of finance and technology. Certainly easily the sort of understanding one would hope multi-billion investment funds would have on hand.

Sequoia lost $150M on FTX and has apologised to its investors whilst saying they will improve due diligence.......

The poor chap in this story was a victim of fraud. FTX was essentially an exchange. From the article it seems that FTX at least implied government underwriting. And FTX were very clear that depositors principles were fully funded. Both of which were direct lies and quite possibly criminally fraudulent (we shall see with the trial).

The only counterpoint to this is that if FTX were offering high rates of return for simply depositing money with them then the question would have had to be "how?". But it would not have been difficult to confuse FTX with a more traditional bank - from the pumping of influencers, the misleading social media tweets and website claims to the fact FTX were big sponsors of US sporting venues and even could issue traditional debit cards. Plus, big corporate investors were putting in money, and SBF was busy throwing cash around the political world to influence policy making whilst on the face of it looking like one of the "responsible" people when advocating for regulation to Senate committees.

Put it this way - if someone decides to invest in MILF token (yes, it is really a crypto coin - look it up, but probably not on a work PC), then they cannot be hugely surprised and outraged when it turns out to be a "rug pull" and they lose all their money. Even this shouldn't happen, but there is some level of individual responsibility to check what is being invested in. But depositing money in a crypto-exchange that was one of the most well known and largest with a lot of backing and the promise of safety? I would say that it understandable.

I am quite an advocate of the concept of crypto, blockchain - hell even NFT. The fact that a lot of the area is a total dumpster fire doesn't mean the underlying concepts over decentralisation don't have merit. If the traditional banking industry didn't have government imposed safeguards for consumers then we would expect it to go a similar way - even with these we all know what a mess traditional finance can make. If people want to dump money in the latest stupid crypto coin then it probably isn't our place to stop them, in the same way I wouldn't be stopped putting on my life savings on the 3:30 at Kempton or some penny stock. However, regulating the exchange between the traditional currency world and crypto currency would seem sensible plus a robust approach to shutting down and prosecuting all those involved with Crypto scams which are in essence Ponzi schemes. Some of the influencers might think twice if they think they could end up with serious jail time at the end of it. I suspect at least part of the government's reluctance with action in this space is they are not keen to be seen to add credibility to the Crypto market.

Not entirely unrelated but there is a fabulous 4 part docuseries on Netflix about Bernie Madoff's Ponzi scheme that went unnoticed for years. What's interesting is that despite plenty of red-flags the relevant safeguarding authorities didn't even do the basics (won't spoil the details). Furthermore, people investing who thought it too good to be true and were nervous enough to do their own due-diligence and investigations never uncovered anything or even thought to spread their financial risks just in case. Investigative journalists were not listened to over the most basic of uncovered evidence. Nobody possibly believed Madoff could also be a crook.
The lure of a seemingly easy big-bucks return changes mindsets....

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
Thanks for these insights and links, guys. I don't really understand this crypto/NFT stuff but it's interesting to hear about the machinations. The $$$ figures involved are staggering.

It is made up. It has value only because people buy into it, it is all hot air.

Just like all money then. What does the number of pounds showing in your online banking app actually mean? I mean obviously governments and central banks agree to underwrite currencies but the value of your account is still dependent on confidence and trust.

C R

Über Member
Just like all money then. What does the number of pounds showing in your online banking app actually mean? I mean obviously governments and central banks agree to underwrite currencies but the value of your account is still dependent on confidence and trust.

Not really, my bank will make good my promises to pay up to my bank balance. That balance is based on actual work I deliver to my employer. The traditional money has intrinsic value. You can't do any of those things with crypto, its only value is whatever a buyer is prepared to pay. When buyers dissappear because they can't use the crypto for anything, the value evaporates.

Not really, my bank will make good my promises to pay up to my bank balance. That balance is based on actual work I deliver to my employer. The traditional money has intrinsic value. You can't do any of those things with crypto, its only value is whatever a buyer is prepared to pay. When buyers dissappear because they can't use the crypto for anything, the value evaporates.

I’m not saying crypto currencies are as safe as those underwritten by states, just that all money is notional. Yes, your bank has more solidity than the latest Bitcoin wannabe, but there isn’t a pile of coins with your name on it in a vault somewhere. Even if there was, the metal has no intrinsic value. Your net worth is just a variable in a computer network and it’s only trust / mutually assured destruction that gives it meaning.

matticus

Guru
I’m not saying crypto currencies are as safe as those underwritten by states, just that all money is notional. Yes, your bank has more solidity than the latest Bitcoin wannabe, but there isn’t a pile of coins with your name on it in a vault somewhere. Even if there was, the metal has no intrinsic value. Your net worth is just a variable in a computer network and it’s only trust / mutually assured destruction that gives it meaning.

IN general, the first few grand is guaranteed by the state. So I'm better investing with regular banks in that sense, no?

Top Bottom