Normal Island

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
theclaud

theclaud

Reading around the chip
Joking aside, cosplaying and acting aren't really the same thing, and whilst it's perfectly possible to dress as a Nazi for a day without becoming one, if you hang out with people who have a hobby of dressing up as Nazis, you will soon find out that it's not just dressing up for a significant proportion of them.

matticus

Guru
I agree with this. I had a colleague who spent his weekends doing battle of Waterloo re-enactments. He was a little eccentric but totally harmless.
But.
The large swastika on the side of the tent could probably have been removed without the loss of much historical context.

That would seem a rather bizarre (and pointless) bit of censorship.

matticus

Guru
Joking aside, cosplaying and acting aren't really the same thing, and whilst it's perfectly possible to dress as a Nazi for a day without becoming one, if you hang out with people who have a hobby of dressing up as Nazis, you will soon find out that it's not just dressing up for a significant proportion of them.

A "significant proportion" you say? Well, that's enough evidence for me, thanks!

Beebo

Veteran
That would seem a rather bizarre (and pointless) bit of censorship.

Maybe it is, but it’s all about context. we all know the reenactment isn’t real, they aren’t actually killing each other and gassing jews so it’s already censored to some extent.
But these people do this stuff at the weekend for their own enjoyment as much as for any historical context. It seems slightly odd to me that they would be comfortable with the flag flying at a weekend social event when it could easily be removed without any detrimental effect.

icowden

Legendary Member
You may find that a lot of them swap sides frequently. It's more fun that way. Have you been a member of a re-enactment society?

Ian H

Legendary Member
Maybe it is, but it’s all about context. we all know the reenactment isn’t real, they aren’t actually killing each other and gassing jews so it’s already censored to some extent.
But these people do this stuff at the weekend for their own enjoyment as much as for any historical context. It seems slightly odd to me that they would be comfortable with the flag flying at a weekend social event when it could easily be removed without any detrimental effect.

It's all rather cosy play-acting. No lice, no trench-foot, no missing limbs. A bit Boys' Own jolly japes. To my mind it encourages exactly the wrong view of war.

matticus

Guru
You may find that a lot of them swap sides frequently. It's more fun that way. Have you been a member of a re-enactment society?

Exactly. I've got absolutely no interest in doing that stuff, but it seems harmless fun, and painting people as "Nazi cosplayers" is just laughable!

icowden

Legendary Member
Exactly. I've got absolutely no interest in doing that stuff, but it seems harmless fun, and painting people as "Nazi cosplayers" is just laughable!

I have a friend who was in the Sealed Knot for many years. He usually played a roundhead, but showed no particular anti-monarchical tendencies.

You may find that a lot of them swap sides frequently. It's more fun that way.

Much like actors then ;-)

matticus

Guru
Hmm. You've gone from:
The large swastika on the side of the tent
to:
As you say, it's all about context.

OP
OP
theclaud

theclaud

Reading around the chip
A "significant proportion" you say? Well, that's enough evidence for me, thanks!

20240523_105807.jpg

OP
OP
theclaud

theclaud

Reading around the chip
"'Some of those that work forces', you say? Could you be a little more specific about the proportions?" Matticus, 1992

Ian H

Legendary Member
Some years ago, in one of the seedier local pubs, there was an A4 photocopied advert for a Roman legion re-enactment group. It read "We need more men to increase our strength" above a picture of a glum, plump fellow in centurion garb, holding a spear, and standing beside a Ford Cortina.

Top Bottom