Nurse murdered seven babies

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

I was firstly clutching for Allit's name and then shouting it every time the radio said unique case, female 'angel' murdering kids etc...
Hopefully, Letby will end her days in a prison and not a hospital like Allitt is currently.

She fought to prove herself fit to stand trial, may it now be something she regrets doing.

multitool

Shaman
We can all hate her for what she did. But this is useless emotion.

The important thing is to find out why.

Unkraut

Master of the Inane Comment
"lessons will be learned"
I know it is easy to be cynical but they never are, are they. The C of E comes to mind in this regard and its abject failure to deal with abuse.
But it does look as if smarter management may have prevented some of the deaths.
This is the first time I have heard of this case, but the case of Allitt immediately came to mind.

Senior managers deserve their day in court with a right to defence, but going by the BBC reporting it seems to me long stretch inside for such negligence if proven might be a lesson for managers to actually accept responsibility for their 'managing'.

D

Deleted member 121

We can all hate her for what she did. But this is useless emotion.

The important thing is to find out why.

As a parent and having two of my children born over 6 weeks premature, it is difficult for me and my missus not to hate her, but hate is fairly useless in fairness, you're right, but difficult to suppress.
The handwritten note found by detectives to my unprofessional eye is harrowing as well as an important piece of evidence. It's a culmination of thoughts scribbled all over the place, like she needed to physically manifest what was going on in her head, in an attempt to digest it perhaps and i'm sure will give the experts handy insight into her motives and reasoning's for these awful murders against defenceless newborns. Again, in my unprofessional opinion, it seems to show at least in some part a not completely insane person and trying and seemingly failing to reason with herself and is also capable of accepting her actions was entirely unjustifiable and for a lack of a better term, Evil...

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Veteran
Letby is due to be sentenced on Monday so it looks like a straight lock-up in a women's prison.

Worth bearing in mind the standard for insanity is higher in the criminal justice than in the general population.

The court accepts that for some crimes the defendant must be a bit mad to commit them, but that's not enough of itself for a psychiatric disposal.

The way Letby has conducted herself during the trial suggests that, for criminal purposes, she is Captain Sensible.

Looks like she is going to refuse to appear be sentenced, which also won't go down well with the public but makes little difference to the exercise itself.

Her barrister will still be invited to say a few words on her behalf, but in light of the verdicts, there's not a lot he can say.

No one stays in court cells overnight, so Letby won't even be in the building, let alone the dock.

There's currently no legal way to force a remand prisoner to appear in court, but after a handful of higher profile non-appearances for sentence, there is a slow burning campaign to make it compulsory for a prisoner to appear.

There's currently no legal way to force a remand prisoner to appear in court, but after a handful of higher profile non-appearances for sentence, there is a slow burning campaign to make it compulsory for a prisoner to appear.

Attention grabbing politicos and their friends in the right wing media are the cohort driving this.

Short of gagging them (convicted defendants that is) and putting them in a straightjacket how might this actually be done?

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Veteran
Attention grabbing politicos and their friends in the right wing media are the cohort driving this.

Short of gagging them (convicted defendants that is) and putting them in a straightjacket how might this actually be done?

Realistically, it cannot be enforced.

However, it would be easy to make not turning up an offence, punishable with a useful period in prison.

That would make no difference to Letby, but she is a rare case.

If you told a lifer facing a tariff of 15 years his tariff would be three years extra for not turning up, that might concentrate his mind.

And if it didn't and he took the extra, who cares?

Win win - to an extent.

Top Bottom