Oh no!! Brexit not going quite as well as hoped

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Squire
A ball to play, at last, I had almost given up hope ;)
Indeed it is, and, we have enough dull

I'm confused.
Are you saying it is .

Or it isn't dull, to engage in pointless grammar pedantry on this thread, which doesn't happen to be about that subject.

On the one hand you seem pleased, I assume that's what the 'little winky' 🤏 is about?

But then, subsequently not so.

I agree brexit has taken the shine off many lives.

And has made many things more dull, life, work, travel plans for example.

Our Union work with our mainland European partners.

But it seems that the little inglanders have had their way with making us all more insular, economically, socially and culturally, depressed.

Yes, on balance that might well leave us with fewer options, for living and learning.

So I s'pose sad mithering over ellipses, becomes 'sport'.

Enjoy your games 👍🏼

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
I'm confused.
Are you saying it is .

Or it isn't dull, to engage in pointless grammar pedantry on this thread, which doesn't happen to be about that subject.

On the one hand you seem pleased, I assume that's what the 'little winky' 🤏 is about?

But then, subsequently not so.

I agree brexit has taken the shine off many lives.

And has made many things more dull, life, work, travel plans for example.

Our Union work with our mainland European partners.

But it seems that the little inglanders have had their way with making us all more insular, economically, socially and culturally, depressed.

Yes, on balance that might well leave us with fewer options, for living and learning.

So I s'pose sad mithering over ellipses, becomes 'sport'.

Enjoy your games 👍🏼

Sorry my meaning was not clear.

To clarify, I meant, yes, it (the pedantry) is dull, along with a few other things on here.

It seems my ;) is also causing confusion? It is meant to convey: although I take life seriously, and, I do not always agree with everyone (would that even be possible), I try not to resort to insults, abuse, or, even derogatory terms.

I probably have my grammar all wrong there, punctuation is not my strong point ;)

OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Squire
Sorry my meaning was not clear.

To clarify, I meant, yes, it (the pedantry) is dull, along with a few other things on here.

It seems my ;) is also causing confusion? It is meant to convey: although I take life seriously, and, I do not always agree with everyone (would that even be possible), I try not to resort to insults, abuse, or, even derogatory terms.

I probably have my grammar all wrong there, punctuation is not my strong point ;)

One 'winky' , doing a lot of heavy lifting there ..

🍆;)

OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Squire
I try to be economical and not wasteful... it may help with climate change prevention, so I am told, and, that is important, is it not? ;)

False economy, I might say

If three subsequent posts are then required to clear up the misunderstanding.

The winky to me, in this context, denotes that you're implying something not said.

Or else it could even be seen in some circumstances as a bit patronising.

As if you're taking the piss out of an issue which you know is important to me.

If I don't know what that not said thing is, I will draw my own conclusions.

They may well, of course be erroneous conclusions.

But this ambiguity, is highly likely to arise, when being spoken to, by someone who is not not personally known to me .

Well this thread has disintegrated in to a mess of distraction, diversion and personal attacks pretty quickly.
Well quite :-(

OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Squire
Not great, a lot can and will get better over time but the whole Northern Ireland issue is somewhat problematic.
As a remainer/rejoiner am pretty miffed and am contemplating dual citizenship as it's a practical thing I can do to improve my outlook.

Yes the NI issue is a massive one

Fuel, food etc , may be constrained for all of us in the short to medium term, and we might learn a lesson or two from that.

But sadly as ever, it's the already disadvantaged who will most likely suffer first, and overall suffer the worst.

The Waitrose Brigade - and yes I'm one of them will probs be fine as regards day to day supplies.

But anyone who remembers the troubles in NI..
I wasn't physically there, but it permeated the news of my youth, would be highly concerned about instability in that area.:sad:

Well it's good for you that you might be able to get dual citizenship.

I rather foolishly (?!) closed off that possibility for myself earlier in the summer.

But I'll probs be ok all in all.

My life will be, and has been restricted in annoying ways, it will be somewhat poorer in many aspects - and for what ????

Other peoples lives, and livelihoods, even basic security (see NI again) will have been hit far worse. :sad:

icowden

Legendary Member
To drag us back on topic,

So far:

Cons:
  • Fuel prices skyrocketing as no access to the EU markets and UK Gov sold off the gas storage
  • No lorry drivers, so shortages of stuff in shops.
  • Harder to travel to Europe, more costly once there (no roaming for example)
  • No dividends funding the NHS as promised, tax hikes for the poorest instead.
  • Failed attempt to get trade agreement with the US
  • Successful attempt to get trade in substandard food with the Aussies

Pros:
  • Sovreignity*
  • More British programmes due to Britishness clause*
  • Lion stamp on pint glass*
  • Blue passports*
  • Imperial weights and measures*

*all available under EU membership anyway

Did I miss anything?

Cirrus

But anyone who remembers the troubles in NI..
I wasn't physically there, but it permeated the news of my youth, would be highly concerned about instability in that area.
I'd say that's my biggest concern re brexit.

I think pretty much everything else will get sorted, though it may take some time, some things may be better but I suspect overall the country will be worse off especially in the short to medium term, just my opinion.

NI is a mess and I really don't know what will happen or what can be done to sort it.

deptfordmarmoset

Über Member

So far:

Cons:
  • Fuel prices skyrocketing as no access to the EU markets and UK Gov sold off the gas storage

Pros:
  • Sovreignity*
  • Blue passports*

Did I miss anything?
Pro: we now have a Global Health Insurance Card to replace the European one. GHIC v EHIC. Three cheers for Global Britain!

Con: Global means Europe minus a few countries. There are now no reciprocal health care arrangements for Norway, Switzerland, Iceland or Liechtenstein. So Global means fewer countries than the European one did.

OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Squire

So far:

Cons:

Pros:
  • Sovreignity*
  • Blue passports*

Did I miss anything?

A great deal of uncertainty about the future for many industries, businesses and sectors.

To invest, it not to invest, for instance.?

What will supply chains and markets be like going into the medium to long term.

For example, I might choose to get all excited about the expanding fresh local produce market in this country.

I might choose to invest, in more land, and facilities, staff training etc etc.

Only to then find those markets are undermined by much cheaper produce imported from places where production standards are less environmentally friendly, and less focussed on workers rights.

Such as from the US if we make a 'trade deal*' with them.

After our present government promising so much.

And delivering, so little.

Why would I take that investment risk??

I'm sure other producers / manufacturers in other sectors would feel similarly.

* The deal would be 'we do whatever the US say' because they're mahoosive, and we the UK are relatively titchy.

Top Bottom