Oh no!! Brexit not going quite as well as hoped

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

deptfordmarmoset

Über Member

Or remember to run your stuff through Grammarly.com (preferably not the free version) if you are not confident in your correct use of the English language.
It's probably better to remember that language is primarily about communication and grammar is only an aid to communicating. Where there is no doubt, and pedants try to use grammatical points to divert from the content of another's post, they have usually lost the argument and no longer have communication as an aim.

the snail

So anyway, we've got our blue passports, will we get our ration books in time for Xmas?
Some handy tips for brexitmas here
https://www.historic-uk.com/CultureUK/Christmas-in-World-War-Two/

Pale Rider

Veteran
It's probably better to remember that language is primarily about communication and grammar is only an aid to communicating. Where there is no doubt, and pedants try to use grammatical points to divert from the content of another's post, they have usually lost the argument and no longer have communication as an aim.

A less than triumphant attempt to grab the moral high ground.

For someone so happy to criticise others language errors, you really should try to avoid such sloppiness. Your, yaw, you're, yawn.

deptfordmarmoset

Über Member
A less than triumphant attempt to grab the moral high ground.
I think careful readers will be able to distinguish between your previous snipes at others' writing and my response when you make the same careless errors yourself. A better way would be to not to use grammatical sniping in the first place,

(Note the apostrophe: I'm not typing on a bus with a mobile this time.)

Pale Rider

Veteran
I think careful readers will be able to distinguish between your previous snipes at others' writing and my response when you make the same careless errors yourself. A better way would be to not to use grammatical sniping in the first place,

(Note the apostrophe: I'm not typing on a bus with a mobile this time.)

Oh absolutely, your grammatical snipes at me are entirely on the side of the angels.

Although it would be better still if you could avoid mistakes when pointing out mistakes.

As regards buses and mobiles, that's the third entry today in the 'defences in which it's hard to keep a straight face' category.

OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Squire
It looks like the Brexit charm offensive is in full flow.

Do we need to revisit that moderation discussion?

Oh c'mon loves

Things would get a bit dull round here, without the right BIG tits on board, yes. ??

So anyway, we've got our blue passports, will we get our ration books in time for Xmas?
Some handy tips for brexitmas here
https://www.historic-uk.com/CultureUK/Christmas-in-World-War-Two/

Don't panic though children .

The sprouts are coming on very nicely after that big dollop of rain we've just had :okay:

deptfordmarmoset

Über Member
Oh absolutely, your grammatical snipes at me are entirely on the side of the angels.

Although it would be better still if you could avoid mistakes when pointing out mistakes.

As regards buses and mobiles, that's the third entry today in the 'defences in which it's hard to keep a straight face' category.
I repeat: better not to point out mistakes in the first place when the meaning is clear. But as you are likely to persist in doing it, I will continue to pick you up on your mistakes.

Archie_tect

2nd set, new balls please.
Pale Rider to serve.
Play.

OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Squire
I repeat: better not to point out mistakes in the first place when the meaning is clear. But as you are likely to persist in doing it, I will continue to pick you up on your mistakes.

Rise above says i.

Rise above.

Or ...

Why not, start a grammar pedants thread, and go slug it out over there.

Ok I'm being a tad hypocritical here, as I will often wince myself, at effect mixed up with affect.

Your transposed with you're.

Etc etc.

But really only the terminally hypercritical will labour it for long.

It is very dull form generally.:sad:

Pale Rider

Veteran
Rise above says i.

Rise above.

Or ...

Why not, start a grammar pedants thread, and go slug it out over there.

Ok I'm being a tad hypocritical here, as I will often wince myself, at effect mixed up with affect.

Your transposed with you're.

Etc etc.

But really only the terminally hypercritical will labour it for long.

It is very dull form generally.:sad:

Spats have always attracted at least 10 times as much interest as on-topic posts.

The source of the spat is irrelevant.

Grammar today, something else tomorrow.

Top Bottom