Oh no!! Brexit not going quite as well as hoped

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
That doesn't mean I'm not still allowed to talk about how badly the whole thing was presented, the lies told, and the anti EU propaganda that was spread about - and in my field of experience - 30+ years in food and farming - I know just how many untruths were told about how the EU operates.

By dissecting what happened, looking at how that propaganda was allowed to play out, we might learn something for the future, not repeat the same mistakes even.

Just waving it all away, and pretending that it was just 'unfortunate' - 'oh dear, how embarrassing, but never mind' as if it was just an 'accident' means we will carry on falling into the same holes .
No one is saying you can't endlessly say how many lies we were told on both sides, how you feel it was badly presented.

You can pretend you are dissecting what happened, but actually you aren't, that all happened a long time ago. You are now just feeling smugly that you were right, and this thread alone has basically been 4500 posts of repeats of the same things.

Sadly you are wrong about this.....

This isn't just some psychological exercise.

You are stuck in the middle of a major psychological exercise, and one which you, and lots of others on here cannot move on from.

You are going through a bereavement, treat it as such and see where that takes you.

Of course, but I would rebuild the useful, beneficial, and enjoyable features of the original house too.

But you can't because it is all gone.

You can try and rebuild your house in the same image, with some of the same features, but if all you are doing is wandering a smouldering wreck of a house saying 'I want my sofa back, and my kitchen was wonderful' when they don't make it in DFS anymore because you bought it in 2001 and the kitchen was a bespoke one off, then you are going to have accept that things are different and make as best of the situation as you possibly can.

Or go absolutely mad and have a breakdown until the therapy starts.

You can try and rebuild your house in the same image, with some of the same features, but if all you are doing is wandering a smouldering wreck of a house saying 'I want my sofa back, and my kitchen was wonderful' when they don't make it in DFS anymore because you bought it in 2001 and the kitchen was a bespoke one off, then you are going to have accept that things are different and make as best of the situation as you possibly can.

It’s not my fault that your metaphor is inadequate.

OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Squire
No one is saying you can't endlessly say how many lies we were told on both sides, how you feel it was badly presented.

You can pretend you are dissecting what happened, but actually you aren't, that all happened a long time ago. You are now just feeling smugly that you were right, and this thread alone has basically been 4500 posts of repeats of the same things.

Sadly you are wrong about this.....

You are stuck in the middle of a major psychological exercise, and one which you, and lots of others on here cannot move on from.

You are going through a bereavement, treat it as such and see where that takes you.

But you can't because it is all gone.

Or go absolutely mad and have a breakdown until the therapy starts.
Yes, I'm clearly going to be taking psychological advice from some random guy off of the internet, who appears to have more than a little difficulty relating to others.
🙄
I've been through multiple bereavements thanks.
This isn't at all like that.

I'm saddened by what has been lost, by so many, with no benefit for anyone else.
And the corrupt way the brexit 'vote' was achieved.

But it's not grief.

Like I said, I'm actively involved in practical and political work around the post brexit aftermath, as it impacts agriculture, and food.

But, you've chosen to ignore that bit, as of course it doesn't really fit with your narrative, of my being hopelessly and pointlessly 'stuck' does it??

Is the UK better off by leaving the EU?
Nope..

OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Squire
It's not a very good analogy - what he's suggesting is more like "don't go on about rebuilding your house, learn to enjoy sleeping in a ditch"
Plus you'd want to know if someone had deliberately 'burnt down your house'.

Have them called to account, and prosecuted, and preferably receive reparations in lieu.

In addition to seeing measures put in place to see it didn't ever happen again.

And anyway yes its a poor analogy.
But if we are going to go with the 'burning something down' comparison, it would be better to go with say a community centre, a building that benefitted and served many people.

A bunch of total charlatans told some rather gullible folk that it was 'that community centre over there' causing problems in their lives

And incited them to set fire to it.

Once it was irretrievably destroyed, it turned out that it never was the much maligned community centre causing the troubles, in the first place.

It was, more likely, those inciters of the arson.

But oh no the deed is done already..

Meanwhile, the community is all the poorer for their loss, and the chances of ever affording, or being allowed a rebuild are far off in the future.

Mugshot

Über Member
And anyway yes its a poor analogy.
But if we are going to go with the 'burning something down' comparison, it would be better to go with say a community centre, a building that benefitted and served many people.
Yes, not really the gotcha Craig was hoping for, the search continues.

But yet another example of how we're not to mention that which shall not be named.
Gone are the celebrations from the arsonists about the mansion they were going to build having burnt down the house we all lived in, the laughing and pointing at the scorched earth and ashes of our, not perfect, but rather nice home, have been inevitably followed by them looking rather bemused with their decision while claiming they knew exactly what they were burning down and are delighted with the result.
But whatever you do, don't mention that you had asked that your home wasn't burnt down, that's undemocratic, unpatriotic, whiny and should never be brought up, lets just move on and see if we can form some kind of mound out of the remnants of our DFS sofa and we'll sit on that.

Craig the cyclist

Über Member

Not at all a gotcha thing at all.

I am simply trying to point out that the amount of time lots of you put into mourning the vote, deriding those that voted differently and the obvious anxiety and anger that lots of you are feeling is not healthy.

There needs to be a resolution found, and quickly because there are already impacts on mental health for people who are not able to find a way forward. That is not saying you can't talk about it, but the 000s of posts on here is bordering on unhealthy for some people.

There is a genuine health issue developing, and that isn't just me as a random bloke off the internet saying it.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.

But yet another example of how we're not to mention that which shall not be named.
Gone are the celebrations from the arsonists about the mansion they were going to build having burnt down the house we all lived in, the laughing and pointing at the scorched earth and ashes of our, not perfect, but rather nice home, have been inevitably followed by them looking rather bemused with their decision while claiming they knew exactly what they were burning down and are delighted with the result.
But whatever you do, don't mention that you had asked that your home wasn't burnt down, that's undemocratic, unpatriotic, whiny and should never be brought up, lets just move on and see if we can form some kind of mound out of the remnants of our DFS sofa and we'll sit on that.

True, it is a bit of a mess. If only we had a Party to vote for which stood some chance of forming a Government, in the foreseeable future, and, with a commitment to rejoining the EU, or, at the very least, the Free Market. But, in the interim, it looks like the burnt out DFS sofa is all we have.

Mugshot

Über Member
Not at all a gotcha thing at all.

I am simply trying to point out that the amount of time lots of you put into mourning the vote, deriding those that voted differently and the obvious anxiety and anger that lots of you are feeling is not healthy.

There needs to be a resolution found, and quickly because there are already impacts on mental health for people who are not able to find a way forward. That is not saying you can't talk about it, but the 000s of posts on here is bordering on unhealthy for some people.

There is a genuine health issue developing, and that isn't just me as a random bloke off the internet saying it.

Is the mental health issue a result of highlighting the issues or a result of trying to deal with the very real consequences?

Top Bottom