Oh no!! Brexit not going quite as well as hoped

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 49

Blimey. Will they find another excuse to stop Sinn Féin taking the the post of First Minister?

View: https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1627691261468475395?t=f1FxPLygCfcXLfqdzPxNdQ&s=19

Ian H

Guru
We shall see what happens.
[Guardian screenshot]
UDP.JPG

D

Deleted member 28

Despite the publicity, our local ASDA, Aldi and Lidl appear to have a full complement of fruit and veg, and, no signs restricting how much you can buy.

In addition, an acquaintance of mine has been wandering Spain and Morocco in a Motorhome, for the past couple of months, all of his photographs show wall to wall sunshine, not a mention of bad weather, is he telling fibs I wonder?

Well clearly you haven't had the memo, we also have plenty of fruit and veg but that isn't what people on here want to read is it?

Rusty Nails

Country Member
Well clearly you haven't had the memo, we also have plenty of fruit and veg but that isn't what people on here want to read is it?

It is a fact that there is a general shortage of some fruit and vegetables, not a total absence.

It is also a fact that this is not the end of the world and normal service will soon resume.

D

Deleted member 49

Does anybody eat fruit and veg in Wolverhampton?

OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Squire
It is a fact that there is a general shortage of some fruit and vegetables, not a total absence.

It is also a fact that this is not the end of the world and normal service will soon resume.

No shortage of veg here..

But yes we have no tomatoes..
Only just sowing them now.

It's unlikely that totally normal service will resume.
Whenever there are shortages of our of season veg we (the UK) will have less available , because of the extra hassle to importers caused by brexit.
We will have to pay more for it.

There will also be fewer pickers available for larger farms.
Already large growers' are planting less, of certain crops because if that.
So costs will rise - something will have to give.
Again because of brexit.
All this is was wholly predicted by us 'project fear' 'remoaners' and no contingencies were put in place for increasing homegrown supplies.

Of course there are other factors at play , but I think the whole 'bad weather in Morocco and Southern Spain' as a cause was / is a bit of a red herring.
Or basically a lie.

However, climate change and more extreme weather events are increasingly going to affect us as farmers and growers, globally..

The true cost and impacts of food production hasn't really been accounted for for decades.

That's going to have to change if we're going to eat well in the future.

OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Squire
It will be the new normal.

And the new normality may well be different from past normality.

That is what the people voted for, whether they knew it or not.

Indeed they did.

They were repeatedly informed of the likely consequences, and oh look here they are.

I guess they're happy enough with it all??

Reactions: C R

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
I'm super excited to get up tomorrow and see what Father VegBox brings us in the morning. I hope he comes before I have to leave for work.

OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Squire
I'm super excited to get up tomorrow and see what Father VegBox brings us in the morning. I hope he comes before I have to leave for work.

I've had people say to me that getting my veg boxes makes it "Like Christmas every week!!"

Which leads me to wonder what their 'actual' Christmasses are like ... 🤔

IMG_20221028_150150_249.jpg

Oooh look, I spy some 'golden' turnips 🍑🍑🍑

Top Bottom